Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That 'Ancestors choke!' is a Caldari expression of disbelief or astonishment?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's New?  (Read 6282 times)

Ashley

• Wetgraver
Re: What's New?
« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2016, 23:18 »

There was already "favoritism drama" a few years back. Someone was banned or didn't get invited in to a chat channel that CCP actors visited or something in that manner and made salty rivers of tears all over the place 'cause of that.

Veiki

• Egger
« Reply #16 on: 19 Oct 2016, 23:20 »

Do you think this from a lower overall number of RPers (smaller pond, all fishes are bigger) or more RPers being on the Lore/Mercury squad these days?

Someone like Lysus got mentioned in the IC news and I've never seen them in an RP channel to date. It just looks like CCP recognizing player actions in the game regardless RPer or not.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #17 on: 19 Oct 2016, 23:59 »

Do you think this from a lower overall number of RPers (smaller pond, all fishes are bigger) or more RPers being on the Lore/Mercury squad these days?

Someone like Lysus got mentioned in the IC news and I've never seen them in an RP channel to date. It just looks like CCP recognizing player actions in the game regardless RPer or not.

But in Eve everyone roleplays. Whether they realised it is another story.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2016, 00:22 »

Lysus was the Champion for Kor-Azor in the Trials. Whether he RPs in the sense that the rest of us do or not is irrelevant. He is now an Important Figure to the game's storyline, or at least was for a period of time.

That said, he was definitely talking mad IC shit in Amarr local during Catiz' inspection of the honor guard. Props to CCP for not only playing along with it but having the balls to blow him up - and to Lysus for deliberately trying to get that result.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Veiki

• Egger
« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2016, 02:26 »

Channel rp, you know what I mean.

I still think it's a good thing for CCP to go, hey look stuff happened and characters did things, let's recognize that.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 21 Oct 2016, 08:55 »

Unless people are willing to invite the newbies into their private rp social circles or semi-public channels to foster interaction outside of that dynamic I'm unsure there will be much new blood in what is a niche activity in a niche game.

Yes.  I for one am trying to figure out how to locate the newbies and extend a helping hand.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 22 Oct 2016, 11:41 »

But in Eve everyone roleplays. Whether they realised it is another story.
Now, if you take a broad enough definition of 'roleplay', everyone is roleplaying all the time, basically - as everyone assumes social roles in their everyday life.

The fact is that most EVE-players don't play EVE as a role-playing-game and aren't, in a stricter sense, roleplaying.

The old adage that "All EVE is roleplay" is based on a confusion about the differing meaning 'roleplay' can have or on being unjustifiedly satisfied with making use of a too broad definition of 'roleplay' there.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 22 Oct 2016, 14:37 »

I've always been a proponent that since 90% of the players don't remotely give a shit about the IP or RP, keep them at arm's length aside from the actual gameplay of participating in events. 

Basically do big and small events that effect storyline and include all the peoples so everyone does the things, but maybe have the 'actors' do more of the interacting with all the nerds who actually care about it and spend their time caring about it and contributing to that end of the pool.   In other words capsuleer DerpSquad420blaze getting some face time with Jamyl or Heth or whatever always rubbed me a bit the wrong way, while some quiet Caldari roleplayer runnig their little trading corp for years might as well not exist in that context. 

Maybe a way around this might be having a separate 'player council' of/for RP nerds that has power to run some storylines and create events/misisons that can spend the volunteer hours to make it fun and not 'big drama' all the time.  *shrug*

Xepharious

• Egger
  • Building a home, one word at a time
    • What is you Origin Story?
« Reply #23 on: 24 Oct 2016, 14:22 »

I think having a separate 'Council' just for the RP community could backfire. It can't be a matter of overall players vs. RPers which is what could happen if the two councils were ever at odds. That being said, I think there is value in having everyday players who are also RPers have access to the minds and story characters who are driving the lore. I like that CCP is involved, to at least some degree, in writing contests (though I could wish for more here based on only knowing of one such contest they are involved in so far). The trick is in how much CCP could afford to pay a committed RP branch of folks spending their time in character. (I would assume very, very little) and as such you'll end up with those like CCP Falcon having to balance known entities in the whole of eve with lesser-known but perhaps more committed members of the RP/Lore world.

Silas, are you thinking that CCP would empower members of this RP council to RP their characters as an extension of the story? Or just advise on possible Lore/IG events?
Xepharious
ALEXYLVA PARADOX | Sub-Coordinator | Recruiter
alexylva.webnode.com
What's your Origin Story?
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/origin-tldr/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 24 Oct 2016, 18:40 »

Silas, are you thinking that CCP would empower members of this RP council to RP their characters as an extension of the story? Or just advise on possible Lore/IG events?

Basically the old AURORA team, with tweaks, anonymous membership (like Mercury).

Any players writing storylines would obviously keep their own characters out, or at least to a minimum.

People would have to get out of the 'winning' and 'losing' RP mentality though for it to work at all.

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #25 on: 25 Oct 2016, 06:54 »

People would have to get out of the 'winning' and 'losing' RP mentality though for it to work at all.

I think any good RPer must shed or never pick up this terrible habit in the first place. But I know that can be hard. It's a competitive game and so that is going to transition in. I think, going back to Luna's comment about fostering new players, we as a community help ourselves when we help newer RPers understand that some of the best story happens when we 'lose'.

As a side note, I REALLY wish I could better write the humorous sort of 'losing' character without them being a sad-sack. Anyone ever have/read any really good humor-intended 'losing' characters in EvE? Synthia comes close with some of her various attendants/generals/admirals but I'd love to read more of this kind of character (and see more out there).
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Ashley

• Wetgraver
« Reply #26 on: 25 Oct 2016, 08:44 »

I've always been a proponent that since 90% of the players don't remotely give a shit about the IP or RP, keep them at arm's length aside from the actual gameplay of participating in events. 

Basically do big and small events that effect storyline and include all the peoples so everyone does the things, but maybe have the 'actors' do more of the interacting with all the nerds who actually care about it and spend their time caring about it and contributing to that end of the pool.   In other words capsuleer DerpSquad420blaze getting some face time with Jamyl or Heth or whatever always rubbed me a bit the wrong way, while some quiet Caldari roleplayer runnig their little trading corp for years might as well not exist in that context. 

Maybe a way around this might be having a separate 'player council' of/for RP nerds that has power to run some storylines and create events/misisons that can spend the volunteer hours to make it fun and not 'big drama' all the time.  *shrug*
I had complete opposite experience about those 90%. For example I was pleasantly surprised about how many people in FW from amarr side knew and cared about lore and were lite RPers.

So it depends solely on personal definition of what is considered RP and it would be a real shame if CCP would keep even more people at arm's length from EVE lore.

Nissui

« Reply #27 on: 25 Oct 2016, 10:19 »

[...] it would be a real shame if CCP would keep even more people at arm's length from EVE lore.

For that problem to arise, there must first be lore.

This is not a problem for the Amarr, who have a clear-cut set of IC rules, organizations, personalities, and who have gotten well beyond the lion's share of live event actor and dev support. They also have long-standing player infrastructure and institutional milieux, which is great for players new and old, but does fuck all for anyone who isn't in Providence or Amarr FW. That's not to say that there aren't willing and able Amarr players in Forum RP, but that kind of interaction is not for everyone. How many active characters post regularly on IGS? Probably the same people who have been doing it when I joined in 2013.

When CCP forget that the Gallente have elections, or that the Minmatar exist, we take it upon ourselves to fill in the blanks without their help, but it is difficult to tell new players, "no this isn't really lore, we're just circlejerking to our own fanfiction."

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #28 on: 25 Oct 2016, 11:20 »

When CCP forget that the Gallente have elections, or that the Minmatar exist, we take it upon ourselves to fill in the blanks without their help, but it is difficult to tell new players, "no this isn't really lore, we're just circlejerking to our own fanfiction."

And this is where I can see some value in enlisting help from the player world for developing more lore. I almost wonder if CCP Falcon and other Role divining devs could instead reach out to already written PF and select those pieces which actually fit in line with what they consider to be lore. In this way they wouldn't have to do as much work but could still maintain at least some control over the world they see in their collective heads and what we are trying to flesh out. Do they already do this? I know I've seen some notes in writing contests hinting ad adapting PF into Lore. I am limited by my recent participation in the RP world. (Funny that three years of casual play is 'recent' in an MMO)
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #29 on: 25 Oct 2016, 12:39 »

Given CCP's definition of moderating the IGS is "punish content creators, ignore habitual rule-breakers," I have zero faith in the idea that CCP should ever be involved beyond continuing to make news and events as they are currently doing.

They mentioned wanting to spin up another events division in ISD but that was two Fanfests ago and we're about a year overdue on the devblog that Affinity had said she'd have out last fall. Not that I fault her for that, she's probably been busy and things probably got pushed aside as usual.

But I also have no faith in the players to be able to not abuse that power and responsibility.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 [2] 3