Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That in Norse mythology, the "Naglfar" was a ship built from the toenail and fingernail clippings of the dead?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's New?  (Read 6283 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
What's New?
« on: 28 Sep 2016, 09:08 »

I like to poke my head back in every 6 months or so, I see they did the coronation yesterday? Doesn't look like much drama? They still planning to kill all the heirs? I saw they had some npc hunts for rogue Amarr disputing a dirty lowborn Udorian taking the throne?

Shakor in attendance, odd? I'm not remembering some of the PF here but isn't he considered a terrorist by the Amarr authorities for much of his actions before assuming a leadership position in the Republic?

How's thangs, capsuleers?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: What's New?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2016, 11:09 »

Shakor was invited, as is tradition, because he's a head of state.

To just about everyone's great surprise, he accepted the invitation.

Maybe diplomatic immunity protects him from being grabbed by the MIO. For now.

The Shathol'Syn ritual is on Friday.

Things are OK, I guess.
\o/

Veiki

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2016, 14:41 »

Roleplay-wise it's more of the same really.

Public RP is the usual shithole of everyone wanting to subscribe to whatever alternate reality vision they have of the lore they want to interpret that no one has any idea what is going on.

Others and especially the long-term vets who might provide the kind of institutional memory necessary to create some kind of solid collaborative endeavours are all doing private RP/burned out/quit.

So it's basically just shitposting and drama in public or in private stuff with your friends that don't make you want to stick a fork in your eye.

So about the same really for the past 3+ years.

Thank God for OGB changes though. ^_^
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2016, 14:43 by Gesakaarin »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2016, 16:01 »

Heirs be dead as a can of spam just like Jamyl. See the new chronicle, "Sunset".

I'm still active, just sitting in the background working on my own stuff for the most part. Masque's still available for people who want to use it for events, and I'm around if people have a need for Morwen for their own arcs. Just a matter of people poking me (or her) about it.

Public stuff is hit or miss in general. Some days it's good and interesting, other days it's drama and trash. Often (unfortunately) it depends on who's involved.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2016, 16:21 »

Past decade, easily.

Veiki

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2016, 23:33 »

Past decade, easily.

To be honest, in the past 10 years it feels like an inverse has happened. Roleplay was active and diverse with a lot of different groups and personalities but the lore was thin, events few, game news practically non-existent when I started out.

Now the lore is fleshed out, there's a few official events a year, and world/game news coming out regularly but it's the RP that's thin, social events few, and public RP beyond competitions to see who can scrape the bottom of the barrel first practically non-existent.

Xepharious

• Egger
  • Building a home, one word at a time
    • What is you Origin Story?
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2016, 07:15 »

I would agree that RP does seem a little diminished from when I first joined about 4 years ago but I am seeing a lot of pockets flourishing. I do feel that IGS is not always a good barometer of the RP climate and if anything Backstage is almost a more effective connection tool.

I think this is also an effect of the game aging as well. A lot of us have very selective time to play so we have to find smaller events or even make our own opportunities when we can get online. This also means shorter story arcs and a lot more willingness for "yes, and" style RP. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes,_and...)

Events like Masks, Tourney viewing, Festivals and such are great because they almost force players out of monologue self-story building as long as people are willing to roll a little with each other. The downside is that they can take a large commitment of time which is hard for some of us to commit to. For those newer or looking to come back with the advent of Alpha state, I'd recommend looking for the more pocket Pubs and thematic channels as these currently seem at least mildly active without being the same arguments over and over again.

Just my observations...
Xepharious
ALEXYLVA PARADOX | Sub-Coordinator | Recruiter
alexylva.webnode.com
What's your Origin Story?
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/origin-tldr/

Nissui

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2016, 08:11 »

For those newer or looking to come back with the advent of Alpha state, I'd recommend looking for the more pocket Pubs and thematic channels as these currently seem at least mildly active without being the same arguments over and over again.

TBF, as feeble as it sounds, BarP was some better RP in recent memory. The most troublesome part was thinking of an excuse to decant.

I suspect you are correct about IGS being a poor barometer. Abandon hope, and all that.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2016, 11:20 »

For what it's worth, there's at least one more social event coming up in the next month - the prize/gala thing for the IC writing contest. Luna and I just haven't settled on a date yet.  If you were planning to enter, by the way, you have less than two weeks to submit something!

I've got an idea for an event up my sleeve (Cabaret Night, anyone?) that I'd like to run but Korsavius needs to find the time to provide me the hook to make it a thing I can bring up with one of his characters.

As for Steff's yearly Masquerade, I don't know the status of that but as Steff's a corpmate, needling will be applied.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2016, 16:41 »

I will speculate that things will stir up elsewhere in the cluster now that this long-running Amarr arc has come to completion.  What impact this will have on RP folks is up in the air.  Even if you poke your head in as an Alpha, Silas, it would be nice to shout 'heretic!' at you again :)
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Veiki

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2016, 23:24 »

For those newer or looking to come back with the advent of Alpha state, I'd recommend looking for the more pocket Pubs and thematic channels as these currently seem at least mildly active without being the same arguments over and over again.

That's really the issue as a I see it, versus when I started rping years ago in Eve. Go and try and make an alt and pretend it's like you're a newbie trying to get into RP right. For me when I tried it, it's bloody difficult -- you try to dip into the "official" IGS channel or the forums and it's like you're stuck in a Youtube comments section. Maybe some people like that, just people arguing for the sake of arguing, but for those who don't then unless you're lucky enough for someone to invite you into their group you're pretty much screwed for any interactions beyond vitriol, trolling, and people generally just not giving a shit anymore through their characters (if that).

So as far as I can see new alphas and RP in Eve going it seems it's essentially just going to be: Hey welcome to the IGS, it's like we got the worst aspects of the internet involving mediocre personalities arguing over trivial bullshit but added spaceships and shit too! Hope you enjoy it!

Unless people are willing to invite the newbies into their private rp social circles or semi-public channels to foster interaction outside of that dynamic I'm unsure there will be much new blood in what is a niche activity in a niche game.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2016, 23:54 »

All I can say to the complaints about the CCP channels is to pull people into the player-owned Summit and OOC. By and large it is the same cast and crew, with a few... key differences.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2016, 10:47 »

there seems to be a bit of a trend right now, to pound on the fourth wall, on the IGS and ingame, as evidenced by people arguing about what a particular CONCORD directive means, with some saying that "the text is easily looked up", and others arguing that it's not. It really isn't easily looked up on an OOC level, because it doesn't exist. IC, then it should be something that a capsuleer would be able to look up. Same deal with the "Yulai Conventions", which is the name for the rules of war. When a war ends, there's the message that the war breaches one or more of the Yulai Conventions. But what those conventions actually are, is unknown, because it's not accessible in any way on an OOC level.

There's been a few other instances of that kind of fourth-wall pounding, but that one is the most recent, I think.

and as ever, it depends on which rp circle you're in, as to which side of the argument you're on.

Taken to extremes, it's the old argument about whether what you can see ingame, and do by ingame actions, is all there is, or whether there is stuff that remains hidden from your view. Civilian ships, planetary cities, cakes, none of that exists ingame in any meaningful way, and yet, without those things, the universe makes no sense. vOv
\o/

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 19 Oct 2016, 18:30 »

It's all things that I've heard from the day I started:
  • RP diminished
  • RP is nothing but drama if public
  • RP got more private
  • RP is less accessible
  • RP is only BarP nowadays
  • There are public RP events
  • PF got more fleshed out
  • PF lacks in the important spots (e.g. which articles of the Yulai convention?)
  • PF is great now!
  • PF sucks
  • Things don't exist if not explicitly noted in PF
  • Things you can't access in game (OOCly) don't exist (ICly)
It's all things I constantly read as comments on the State of EVE (TM) from when I started playing the game about 10 years ago. What changes is the which of these positions are taken by which people in which of the possible (coherent as well as incoherent) combinations. Some of them are a bit more popular at the one time, then others emerge again to be more popular, but you can hear them all, if you listen.

Some of these statements are trivial, mostly (PF accumulates over time, so obviously it'd not get less fleshed out at least and the probability is high that it gets at least somewhat more 'fleshed out'), some are subjective (RP activity depends largely on time of activity of current people involed in RP for example), some are play style decisions which might be compatible or not. All that is in my book not very informative, anyhow.

I think nothing has changed, essentially. It's the old same-same, in variations - as I think Louella's closing remarks at the very least hinted at, imho.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2016, 18:49 »

I read up a bit on the 'world news' that had been coming out last few years; it seems like the official news sorts of stories are incorporating player capsuleers into many of these stories these days? That used to be a difficult thing to do.  Do you think this from a lower overall number of RPers (smaller pond, all fishes are bigger) or more RPers being on the Lore/Mercury squad these days?

IE the 'big' NPC characters back in the day wouldn't really acknowledge our existence let alone interact more than once a year or so but for one big event, and maybe then only in chat in local or something; now I'm seeing player capsuleers being name-checked regularly in news articles and woven into the storylines regularly. 

I think some of us geezers would have appreciated that sort of interaction 'back in the day' with our own group stories when we were dedicated and enthusiastic about dumping time into the game but then again it would have likely caused no shortage of shitposting and screams of favoritism and report tickets.

I'm a bit busier these days but coming back to chat might be fun. 

Pages: [1] 2 3