Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 1st Praetorian Guard is an Amarrian Imperial Navy-affiliated Special Operations unit? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lookin' Up  (Read 3604 times)

Xepharious

• Egger
  • Building a home, one word at a time
    • What is you Origin Story?
Lookin' Up
« on: 02 Jun 2016, 20:58 »

For those of you just joining, Here is the link to the full story as it is posted:

http://alexylva.webnode.com/sunswept/

For those looking for other Origin related work, please click the link below for a list with links.
http://alexylva.webnode.com/corporate-arcives/

the original post for those who want the snapshot:

Meyan let out a long, labored breath as she turned to lean against the bar. Resting her head back she gazed aimlessly at the swirling solar patterns for which the ceiling of Sunny-side Up was known. The solar rays from the primary which was perched precariously above the station danced upon the interactive membrane in a way that brought her mind back to the slight greenish hue which had begun permeating her otherwise pale skin only a few short days before. Success. She had finally done it. Here among the prominent transhumanist minds minds of New Eden she had found the answer to not only her life long conquest, but also the question of where she belonged. Now if only she could find a job.

The bar was rather empty during the second shift  and she looked about the new furnishings for a moment. No one of particular note sat in the various booths or at the few tables. New furnishings, new bar, new station, and, of course, new assignments. Her graduation from the Renaissance Medical Academy was still fresh in her mind. With the completion of her residency at Serendipity Anchorage, she had hoped to put her shiny new degree to practice at one of the medical facilities within Icarus Station.

Now, standing in this bar after a week of 'networking' and 'inquiries' she found that it seemed even in a new station, it was more about who you know then what you knew. And she knew almost nobody. Once more she let out a sigh and reached for her glass.

"Why so glum?"

The voice caught her off guard; too low to have been the polite young man who had served her only moments ago. She spun to see who... and almost started as she found a capsuleer smiling back as her as he came around the bar. "I, uh, it's nothing."

"Only nothing?" An odd reply, and why had he been behind the bar?

"Just, lost in my thoughts I guess"

He seemed to look her over for a brief moment and she felt a bit strange, as though he was gathering more information than eyes could provide. "Looking for work?" Could he have looked up her file via The Network? She had heard capsuleers here could do stuff like that, maybe one eye was cybernetic...

"How did you know"

"The data files" He nodded, amused, to the small pile of data files she still had with her from several of the various medical and research labs just moving into the station. Of course, not some super-cyborg after all. She silently chastened herself for the mental gymnastics.

"Ah, yes" She blushed, a bit more purple in her cheeks than usual. "No bites though."

He seemed puzzled at the reference for a moment or two as he took a seat next to hers. Realization came to his face and she smiled again. "What are ya looking for?"

"Medical or research." But he could have gleaned that from the files. Why was she so on edge with him? "I was hoping that a recommendation from Dr. Cartwith could get my foot in the door but I guess he isn't as popular as he once was." The comment seemed to catch the capsuleer's attention and she suddenly regretted bringing it up. Dr. Cartwith, aside from being one of the preeminent minds behind Origin's cloning infrastructure, had recently been at the heart of a massive Biomass corruption disaster which had almost crippled the entire system. Only pure luck had staved off doom, and while it hadn't exactly been Dr. Cartwith's fault, he had been responsible for the system and ultimately the one to take the fall when the dust settled. That he had also been the one supervising her residency was turning out to be rather unfortunate for her. Her recollections cleared as the capsuleer across from her was looking rather smartly at her. The slight grin, she decided, was a bit unnerving.

"Dr. Cartwith then? I can see how that might close some doors." He shifted in his seat. "What is your specialty then?"

His question implied interest while the words he chose clearly screamed 'Layman'. "Genetic therapy and mutation, with addition focus in xenogenetics." What would an 'egg jockey' know about medicine anyway? She decided that the conversation was going nowhere and despite the man's gentle seeming nature, she finished her drink and started reaching for her files.

"Well, I can't say there is much use for that sort of thing so far away from the planets." He noticed her gesture to end the conversation and smiled slightly. "But I will certainly keep my ears open." He stood and, seeing her desire to leave decided to forgo the handshake. "I'm Xeph by the way, I didn't catch your name?"

Didn't catch her name? What a joke, he had likely already looked up her entire file. Oh well, doesn't hurt to be nice. "Meyan" She gathered the files, holding them to her chest and paused just long enough to produce a smile to accompany her name. "I'm afraid I really must get back out there, Xeph. Thanks for the drink?" He had move back behind the bar and with no sign of the previous tender, she could only assume he was playing at bartender for kicks.

"Come back in any time." He gave a slight wave as she moved to the door. She managed one last look back at the strange man as she passed the threshold and saw a look of deep thought, and was it recollection? She decided to put him out of her mind and moved her thoughts to remembering which floor she had been about to go to when she had decided to get a drink. Meyan stepped into the lift and selected one of the lower levels.
Taking a seat at the edge of his bar, Xeph thought back to his own role in the disaster which seemingly continued to plague his hermitic friend Dr. Cartwith and now, it seemed, his students as well. A problem for later he decided and looked around his empty establishment. "Hey Jep, Can you watch the S'up? I think I'm going for a bit of a walkabout."

((Some plot is intentionally unresolved. I hope to write and RP further so watch for more. Feedback is welcome.))
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2016, 10:41 by Xepharious »
Xepharious
ALEXYLVA PARADOX | Sub-Coordinator | Recruiter
alexylva.webnode.com
What's your Origin Story?
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/origin-tldr/

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
Re: Lookin' Up
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jun 2016, 15:39 »

I enjoyed the read. I found the interaction between Meyan and Xeph particularly interesting, as in places outside of Origin, these types of casual interactions between capsuleers and baseliners is relatively rare. Capsuleers are given their separate spaces aboard stations, after all, and their portrayal in media is akin to that of famous celebrities.

I especially liked that part where he simply looked at the files she was carrying to determine that she was looking for work. You had me believing and asking the same questions Meyan was :P

Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 02 Aug 2016, 06:48 »

Hello everyone!

I've retitled this work "Sunswept", added the prelude, and hosted it on the ALXVP RP page:
http://alexylva.webnode.com/corporate-arcives/

Check in for updates, I'll try to post here when I do.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with the link/website.
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2016, 12:01 by Xepharious »
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 04 Aug 2016, 07:18 »

Alright, so while I'm sitting at work, entirely unable to focus on anything productive, I just wanted to give a shout out to Che Biko and Solu Terona for their inspiration. I now blame Solu for several things to come.  :twisted:

Update: I expect to add the rest of Chapter 1 by EOD Friday, one scene wasn't going to cut it before moving to chapter 2. And so, get ready to meet KipTop!
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Lunarisse Aspenstar

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 04 Aug 2016, 07:55 »

Keep it up Xeph! :)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #5 on: 04 Aug 2016, 09:16 »

:s Me? I barely did anything. Anyway, no need to thank me, the inspiration flowed both ways. In fact, I think you may have inspired me more than the other way around. :cube:

Edit: And no reason why you couldn't call chapter 1 Lookin' Up. I really like that title, man.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2016, 09:21 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Solu Terona

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 04 Aug 2016, 19:05 »

I regret nothing!

Glad to be a part of this and super exited to see what comes out of this!
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2016, 11:55 by Solu Terona »

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2016, 06:53 »

Chapter 2 is up!

Also, I've noticed an issue with the font in the first chapter. I'll work on fixing that in the next update.
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Solu Terona

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2016, 22:36 »

Chapter 3 is here!

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2016, 11:54 »

Ché has a cameo in chapter 3.
-OOChé

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2016, 09:45 »

So yeah, Chapter 3 is up, though it looks like Che and Solu beat me to it...

I'm expecting chapter 4 to take a little longer to write up than 3 did as I will also be working on a forward intended to help those who have never played EvE before to catch up. 'what the hell is this capsuleer thing anyway...'

While you wait, please enjoy the newest reporting coming out of Origin: http://thtoday.tumblr.com/ Also, look for some archived stories from the same Caera Clarke; soon to be published outside of IGS as an entry to this years writing contest.

Enjoy!
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 02 Sep 2016, 09:23 »

Updates:
- Forward is up
- Adjusted formatting some more to allow for future Index and page system (soon no more scrolling to get to a new Chapter!)
- Fixed the formatting issue in the Prelude. (which lead to size issue with everything else so there is that now)

I am expecting to finalize all of the wonky formatting once the indexed page system is in place. That way a change to one page won't mess up everything else on the page.

Progress on Chapter 4: Section 3 is almost done with revisions and section 2 is complete. Sections 1 and 4 are still on mapped but I am expecting some progress on those this weekend.

Thanks for checking in!
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2016, 19:39 »

Chapter 4 is up!

I also did update the site format so that you can now link to each chapter from the index.

(Edit: Fixed a bug where Chapter 4 wouldn't show. Had to split it into two pages due to length)
(Edit of the edit: Thank you Solu for pointing out that two paragraphs were missing as Meyan enters about 3/4ths down the page of part a. Also, all Italics have been stolen from the first several chapters! I'll get on those... *grumbles off into embarrassment*)

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2016, 06:38 by Xepharious »
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2016, 13:41 »

Well, between a bit of a break to catch up on Jverse and the sudden siege of our wormhole its been a while since I've posted a new chapter. 5 is well under way but may take a week or two to be fully edited.

Thanks to those checking in and as always I love any feedback.

P.S. Look for my writing contest post containing several news articles, there may be a few Easter-eggs ;)
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 04 Nov 2016, 22:41 »

Chapter 5 is up!

Thanks to everyone who helped and/or gave feedback!
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com
Pages: [1] 2