Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Wolves of Pator rescued and freed 5,000 slaves as a wedding gift for Evanda Char?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Burning Life....feed back  (Read 3708 times)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
The Burning Life....feed back
« on: 24 Jun 2010, 17:25 »

I just started reading this book, and before I get to the heart of it, I was hoping to get some reviews on it from the player community. Your thoughts please.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: The Burning Life....feed back
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2010, 17:30 »

I liked it. It's more of an infodump than a story, in many ways, but the two primary threads in it do work.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2010, 17:49 »

I thought there were sections which read like the story team got together and said "Now you need to write a bit where you give exposition about this part of Eve" which, while interesting in some ways, was also some of the less convincing writing.

I also felt the Matari got hard done by. :(
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2010, 18:05 »

So far, it seems blood raiders protect Sani Sabik communities and hold them in high regard, at least that is what I am gathering from the begining chapters. Is this standard? Because, I thought the Sani Sabik looked down on the blood raiders.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2010, 18:43 »

I loved it, but I am an Angel / pirate fangirl so I might be a bit biased. Still the infodump style and extra explanations were very enjoyable. Some things I already knew, but a little refresher isn't bad. My boyfriend, who despite disliking EVE gameplay does like the game world is now reading the book as well, and for him those bits are handy. Not to mention this makes the book easy to get into for newer players. So yeah, keep reading, it is worth your time.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2010, 19:52 »

So far, it seems blood raiders protect Sani Sabik communities and hold them in high regard, at least that is what I am gathering from the begining chapters. Is this standard? Because, I thought the Sani Sabik looked down on the blood raiders.

Blood Raiders are a sort of Sani Sabik. There are some other Sani Sabik that are aligned with them, and some who think they've strayed from the path or whatever, I imagine.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2010, 20:01 »

Blood Raiders bear approximately the same relationship to the Sani Sabik that the Vikings did to Norse cultures a millennium ago. Or analogous, at any rate.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2010, 00:33 »

Blood Raiders bear approximately the same relationship to the Sani Sabik that the Vikings did to Norse cultures a millennium ago. Or analogous, at any rate.

You mean the difference between a peaceful Sani Sabik trader and a Blood Raider is how good the defences are?

Long pause

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2010, 06:46 »

Blood Raiders go out and raid. Sani Sabik stay home and do whatever...

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2010, 07:17 »

...bake cookies.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2010, 11:04 »

...bake cookies.

Yeah. Sani Sabik as Middle America was "wat"

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2010, 15:07 »

And in some Norse cultures, as I understand it (Iceland, Norway, and Denmark at least), some young men would go off raiding for a season or three, make some cash, come home, settle down get married and become a farmer.

Are you suggesting that there is that cross-over? Since I could actually see the Blood Raiders being a young man's game, and that there'd be more support in the Sani Sabik civilian society for the Bloodraiders if there's a cadre of middle-aged civilians who spent a couple of seasons raiding to get their start in life, and are now at home telling tales of daring adventures (skipping all the bits that went wrong).

I'm just not sure it's supported in the book.
Long pause

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2010, 15:26 »

And in some Norse cultures, as I understand it (Iceland, Norway, and Denmark at least), some young men would go off raiding for a season or three, make some cash, come home, settle down get married and become a farmer.

Are you suggesting that there is that cross-over? Since I could actually see the Blood Raiders being a young man's game, and that there'd be more support in the Sani Sabik civilian society for the Bloodraiders if there's a cadre of middle-aged civilians who spent a couple of seasons raiding to get their start in life, and are now at home telling tales of daring adventures (skipping all the bits that went wrong).

I'm just not sure it's supported in the book.

There was a dude who had an uncle, the uncle I think is mentioned as having done "things" in his youth.

That sort of thing?
\o/

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2010, 15:58 »

There was a dude who had an uncle, the uncle I think is mentioned as having done "things" in his youth.

That sort of thing?

Actually, now that you remind me, yeah, exactly that. Thanks.

Hmm, interesting.
Long pause

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2010, 04:06 »

Ummm, Blood Raiders.

Of course their mentality and lifestyle may have something in common with historical cultures that had same practices.
Like mongolians raiding the Chinese (until they built the damn wall to keep them out.)
Like african tribes raiding each other for slaves and selling them to the white devils for shinies.
Like vandals going to Rome and sack it for the hell of it.

But based on Norse culture?

Other than the raiding aspect does not really hold water.

When talking about any pirate faction you have to keep in mind that they've had to develop into something more than PvP hungry gate campers just because of the fact that they are not supported by the infrastructure of the Empires unlike the capsuleers are.

You are bound to find Blood Raider doctors that put bandages on the scraped knees of Blood Raider kids that have fallen down while playing football on some planet in the ass end of nowhere.
You can also find Cartel pilots crying at a Cartel speakeasy where a Cartel singer sings about how hard the life of a drug peddling serial killer can be.

The difference between the 'pirate' factions and the 'real' factions is their moral standards, nothing else.
There is farmers in all of the factions, as there is people working in bakeries, factories, hospitals and schools.

None of them are made out of 100% bad ass.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Pages: [1] 2