Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa megacorporation owns as much as 1/3 of all real estate in the Caldari State, and is considered one of the State's most ruthless corporations?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: reddit - post what you think of the latest seasonal "events"  (Read 5977 times)

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

I, personally, find them immersion breaking. I mean, really: Annual return of evil enemies, each at his own season. This is as surprising as the unpredictable Russian winter. And just as much fun, imho. It als serves to reduce the pirate factions to an event tool, in my book. Thus, making them less authentic.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

part of the idea is that they are asking how to make them more inmersive or better.....your comments could help, if you are willing

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

If CCP wants feedback on this, why do they ask for opinions on reddit, not their own forums?

I doubt whether it depends on my willingness, if my comments can help. I'm certainly not the bottleneck in the equasion. CCP dcided that seasonal events are a thing. I'm quite generally against them and so are the arguments I make against them. So, uh, don't get me wrong, but I won't sign up on reddit to make comments there that are quite probably ignored.

P.S.: I think it's great you made people here - who're less pessimistic or see things differently - aware, so they can post there. :)

Lunarisse Aspenstar

• Egger

I love them!

Persephone Alleile

• Probe Operator
  • Clonejack

I think they're fun from a gameplay perspective, though I can see how they can be immersion disrupting.

Utari Onzo

I think the immersion thing is more a case of "fourth wall" or the ooc/ic divide. If you keep mentally reminding yourself it's an easter event, it's an easter event. But if you're happy to just let go and see the lore for what it is, then it's perfectly possible to have fun with it as people are doing right now with the Valkrie stuff. This event has been a lot lot better lore wise then the last two, far more interesting and engaging beyond "blooders appear, kill them!"

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

The Gauntlets were pretty meh lorewise all-around. The news items were pretty bland, and the Scope video just made it worse.

The only thing I didn't like lorewise about the Frostline event was the cringeworthy dialogue they gave Tsuni Aina in the relevant Scope video. The rest of it was fine.

Can't think of any issues I've got with this Valkyrie event.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Persephone Alleile

• Probe Operator
  • Clonejack

The Gauntlets were pretty meh lorewise all-around. The news items were pretty bland, and the Scope video just made it worse.

You didn't like nude Omir?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Instead of it being 10 seconds of "what the literal fuck" like the Frostline one was with Tsuni Aina's "Kill them, kill them all" line, the "what the literal fuck" lasted for the entire scope video.

It wasn't grimdark, it wasn't eerie, it wasn't even creepy, it was just dumb. It lacked the proper gravitas that is due the boogeyman that Omir is supposed to be.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

Instead of it being 10 seconds of "what the literal fuck" like the Frostline one was with Tsuni Aina's "Kill them, kill them all" line, the "what the literal fuck" lasted for the entire scope video.

It wasn't grimdark, it wasn't eerie, it wasn't even creepy, it was just dumb. It lacked the proper gravitas that is due the boogeyman that Omir is supposed to be.
Emphasis mine, of course.  Responding mainly to the gravitas comment, but I think a part of why that scope video was so weak is that we're just desensitized at this point.  Someone who hasn't been into this game's lore/RP for x number of years, someone new to the whole setting, probably sees that and goes 'oh shit, this dude is pretty bad/crazy/evil/etc.!'

Whereas most of us are just like 'meh...  we're never going to get WiS if that's all they have to work with' 

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

When I say it lacked the proper gravitas, I mean it came across as so cheesy that it was almost Looney Tunes levels of cartoon violence.

We should've gotten Silent Hill, or the Ring, or something along those lines. What we got was, well. A cartoon villain spattered in blood laughing his ass off. Whoop de fucking do.

At least the drops from the sites made up for that. Those accelerators were awesome.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET

Gameplaywise a very interesting thing. Lorewise next to nothing on this scale ("Everywhere") makes sense, which makes them neither better nor worse as all other gameplay elements. Looking at this like some kind of background radiation it feels okay. Overall the combination of News Articles, News Video and some gameplay stuff feels like a good way of doing things.
The fact that it makes people looking for a more strict level of immersion unhappy is not surprising and entirely unavoidable, regardless what CCP would do.

tl;dr
Expected little fluff, got little fluff, gameplay is interesting.

Ashley

• Wetgraver

Trailers for those events were top-notch quality, especially blood raider/mordu's legion ones. Who would have thought that the most famous mercenary group sounds like this or blood raiders are just a fan club of the Count.

In terms of gameplay events were extremely boring imo.

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver

Yea I really loved the production values and all around them.

The actual, ya know, gameplay...eeeeeeeh.

I wish they'd learn from this to put as much effort into the actual meat of the event as they do on the hype because heck then we'd have some good stuff.
Pages: [1] 2