Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char started life as humble mechanic?

Author Topic: Hotel horror stories  (Read 1023 times)

Utari Onzo

Hotel horror stories
« on: 10 Feb 2016, 11:33 »

Since my latest jount in a bed with a terrible night's sleep and resulting back and neck ache is fresh in my memory, let's hear your horror stories.

Lately I've been having to work out of town, last two days included. Honestly, if the terrible adjustment for temperature wasn't bad enough (didn't work, always woke up feeling like a dried fruit) the wifi, both free and paid for was useless even for emails. Hell, even the swipe cards to get in/out of the rooms frequently have to be replaced as they just stop working. On a positive, the food was good, thankfully, but then again I didn't have to pay as it was covered by work.

Still, waking up both nights to terrible back and neck pain when you work in the construction industry just isn't cutting it. This is the third time in said hotel (Premier Inn - Sheffield) and the issues are always the same.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
Re: Hotel horror stories
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2016, 01:52 »

Honestly can't recall any hotel horror stories I've ever experienced...unless you count the snobby kid I was assigned to room with for a law program I participated in the summer between my junior and senior year in high school. :p
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2016, 11:24 »

I once stayed at a hotel in Detroit (back when downtown Detroit looked like a bomb went off; boarded windows, closed stores, chained doors).  They told us there were whole floors we were not to go on, which of course we did, and indeed a few floors the rooms were mostly missing doors with actual 2x4s nailed across them.  And the lights didn't work.   Basically think one of the basement hallways from 'Silent Hill.' Absolute murder space. 

Tldr a friend did end up getting chased around up there by a couple of dudes trying to rob him.

Ah, memories.

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2016, 12:25 »

Dion't have any stories to share, but as I;m working with RFID tags atm, I can give you a tip on those non-functional cards.

Don't store them anywhere near an NFC reader like your phone (store  with metal between in a clamshell case or further than 5-10 cm). The anti-cloning protection on some cards will wipe them if your phone tries to read them, or possibly even just if the passive output of the NFC reader in your phone it picked up by the card (13 MHz or thereabouts).

You may have experienced another issue, but this issue accounts for a large proportion of key card failures in Travel Lodge (and I think Holiday Inn). 

Note that this applies to NFC (RFID) key cards only, if it is mag-stripe, this shouldn't be a problem.

Further addition: Snopes and Myth Busters HAVE busted the magstripe card wipe myth. Magstripes cannot be wiped at all by mobile phone. NFC can only be wiped if your phone is NFC enabled and that functionality is switched on.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2016, 14:48 by Aelisha »

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2016, 13:39 »

It was the size of a toddler's arm, and it wouldn't flush.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2016, 15:40 »

Not so much any hotel horror stories, but I can definitively say that of the 2-3 times I get sick each year, without fail it is almost always something I pick up while traveling.

Usually from the airplane, though. Fuck those fucking plague-bearing hotboxes.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.