Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That in Norse mythology, the "Naglfar" was a ship built from the toenail and fingernail clippings of the dead?

Author Topic: Lots of wyrdstone, they said. Get bloody rich, they said.  (Read 566 times)

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

Mordheim's out and so far, I'm liking it. I'm still sad that my favourite faction, the Witch Hunters, isn't in the game, but the Imperial Mercenaries are good too. Block enemy advance with a shield wall, shoot them to bits with flintlock firearms, pop a Darksoul's head with a well-aimed bullet to the head and steal his wyrdstone.

However, as I found out, completing the secondary objectives is difficult. Like really difficult. The enemy AI has an uncanny knack of intercepting my henchmen before they got far enough with completing secondary objectives. I had taken to splitting the group into two's only to find that the enemy warband too has split into groups and making things difficult.

And just in case the game isn't brutal enough the Tzeentch will mock me at any given moment by making me miss three hits in a row despite the 95% hit chances. Sometimes that isn't enough for him and he went and made sure that the only missions I can get are Brutals despite all the scouts I sent out to find a more manageable mission.

Let's not even get started with the sponsor being a greedy bastard. Then again, it wouldn't be Warhammer if everyone isn't trying to screw you over at any given opportunity.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

Haven't seen any reviews from people I trust yet, so this is still on my back burner. Is there a good storyline? Does it have longevity in play? There's too many unanswered questions still, and I haven't even gotten to see much gameplay yet. It's on my list but that's where it'll stay for a while yet, it seems.

Hope TB takes this on, he seems to be very good at critiquing Warhammer games for both fans of the setting and as games on their own.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

Gameplay-wise it's like the tabletop version with tweaks to make it more video-game-y. If you had ever played Blood Bowl or seen its gameplay, you know what you are getting into.

I haven't progressed enough into the game to critique the storyline yet. For much of the game you are fighting other warbands over a fistful of wyrdstone to make quota to ship to your sponsor, and the quota increases with warband rank. After a few in-game days, you get a story mission which you can do to progress the story. For Imperial mercenary, the first story mission had you go and seal off the sewer system to keep the skaven out so you can capture the quay for good, thus allowing you to ship wyrdstone to your sponsor more efficiently. However, being the greedy git that he is, he ends up increasing the quota so that leads to another story mission a couple days later, where you are going to have to go even deeper and closer to The Pit to get more wyrdstone. But first, you need to go visit the Temple of Sigmar and get blessed before making the trip (though the local holy maidens have something to say about that).

By the way, you can get your wyrdstone from online matches, and you get to ship the wyrdstone you got from online matches to your sponsors to make quota. However, be warned, if you miss quota once, your sponsor throws a hissy fit and the next quota will be double the previous one plus interest. If you miss quota four times, you are locked out of the campaign missions, but you can still use the warband to play online matches.

To ensure that you do not get completely screwed over by your loss, the veteran skill points can be carried forward to your next playthrough to help make the next warband more manageable to organise.

Edit: Before I forget, you are going to run into daemons as you progress far enough. Daemons come in four flavours, as usual, and they are neutral. By neutral I mean they are hostile to everyone, the Cult of the Possessed included. You will only get one for each mission.

Being daemons, they are really difficult to deal with. Best thing to do is to lure them to your enemies and take the opportunity to scatter to the eight winds and loot all the wyrdstone while your enemies are busy trying to not die to a daemon.

Also, the level design is fantastic.

Another thing to mention is that your henchmen need not necessarily have to level up to gain skill points. They can get skill points by simply performing well enough. Even if you lose missions, you can theoretically 'win' by managing to get away with wyrdstone, and your henchmen can still gain exp and skill points from a lost. Also, your henchmen's permadeath chance is also determined by RNG so it's possible for a henchman to get knocked out only to manage to crawl back to base needing treatment or, occasionally, be perfectly fine. He might still need to replace his gear, however.

However, there's also that chance of permanent injury, which are always debilitating. And they add up. Good luck with that.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2015, 12:51 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever