Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hubert Caissor was a Gallentean senator who, along with his entire family and personal wealth, disappeared aboard the starship Peralles while jumping from the Dom-Aphis system to Iderion.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CCP unloads White Wolf / Masquerade IP!!!  (Read 2444 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
CCP unloads White Wolf / Masquerade IP!!!
« on: 29 Oct 2015, 09:53 »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/29/paradox-white-wolf/

A Crusader Kings style Masquerade game?! Yes please.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
Re: CCP unloads White Wolf / Masquerade IP!!!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2015, 10:29 »

Yes! I noticed this through the Paradox newsletter. Paradox, as a company, don't exactly have an unsullied past, but I think they've learned a lot in the last two years or so and they are close to becoming my favourite publisher, what with Cities, Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis.

I can understand people who've had their Eve subscription money basically pissed up a wall by CCP being angry about this, but as a gamer I truly believe the White Wolf IPs are now in the hands of a publisher who will actually create successful content out of them.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2015, 11:04 »

Well said.  These IPs also will do well as  single player niche pc games, tbh

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2015, 21:57 »

Path of Exile.

We could get a very, very good CRPG out of this.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2015, 03:07 »

Path of Exile was boring to me...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2015, 05:11 »

For some reason PoE really didn't work for me either. Don't know why.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2015, 07:51 »

Yes! I noticed this through the Paradox newsletter. Paradox, as a company, don't exactly have an unsullied past, but I think they've learned a lot in the last two years or so and they are close to becoming my favourite publisher, what with Cities, Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis.

I can understand people who've had their Eve subscription money basically pissed up a wall by CCP being angry about this, but as a gamer I truly believe the White Wolf IPs are now in the hands of a publisher who will actually create successful content out of them.

I think CCP pissed up a wall here. because they made such bad use of all the White Wolf goodness. I'm quite glad to see it move on to someone else: I'm very well in agreement with your assessment, Pieter.

This is good news! :D

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2015, 08:58 »

To be fairer to PoE, I actually played it to begin with, when I really don't bother with that kind of games in general (diablo first)... So, there is that too.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2015, 17:07 »

While I thought that CCP could possibly be the best publisher for WOD in theory (as they already had a game about near immortal demi-gods on a morally downward spiral), in practice this was not true. As they cancelled WOD, I'm glad they now give another company a chance to do something nice with the IP.
But I'm afraid I know not much about Paradox or anything about Crusader Kings, so my enthusiasm is a little restrained.
-OOChé

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2015, 18:58 »

Paradox/Obsidian also published Pillars of Eternity. All in all, Paradox, unlike CCP, is not a one-trick-pony. I don't think that CCP would've been a good fit for a WoD game, given how important the WoD fiction is to make it work.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2015, 22:50 »

Yeah, that's what I meant, not Path of Exile...  Derp derp de dooooooo
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Nissui

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2015, 13:50 »

Pillars of Eternity was 50% off so I picked it up. Haven't played one of these in a long time.

If we could get some kind of WoD game in the same vein as BG/etc, I'd be all for it.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2015, 15:06 »

Translation: "We've just gotten the rights and materials and are most of the way through fleshing the team out, but we have no idea what we're going to make first. We're about to go into some heavy blueskying and brainstorming and we might see you back here in six months to tentatively discuss our favourites to see what sticks to the wall."

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2015, 16:17 »

I saw a thing on a different forum, a pdf that appeared to be a guide for closed beta testers, of CCP's WoD mmo.

I had no idea that the WoD mmo was that close to being released to the public before it was canned.

Like, there was a working character creator, and there were zones to go to, and you could interact with other players, and there were npcs to fight, and so on and so on.

I had been under the impression that the WoD mmo was little more than a bunch of tech demos and unconnected art assets.
\o/
Pages: [1] 2