Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The main ingredients in Protein Delicacies were in fact organic waste, processed station sewage and second grade biomass? For more, read here.

Author Topic: An attempt to create false evemails.  (Read 1600 times)

Vikarion

An attempt to create false evemails.
« on: 20 Jun 2010, 21:38 »

I also posted this on the Eve Fiction Forum, in brief form:

I thought I'd make anyone aware, should they desire, that Andreus Ixiris/Andreus LeHane has inferred to me that he intend to use the headers of evemails I sent him (in response to him evemailing me) to photoshop "evidence" of my character or myself making statement I have not.

He is doing this because I successfully orchestrated a sting against his character making certain statements.

I'm providing the links to the original evemails from/to him here, and also will provide to anyone interested a screenshot of his "sting" evemail. I will also happily provide to anyone a NEW screenshot according to their specifications, to prove my bonafides.

His attempt to get evemail header from me:
First mail:
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4164/ixirisfirst.jpg
My reply:
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8962/ixirismid.jpg
His reply:
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5969/ixirisfinal.jpg

Original sting evemail:
Kierra gets him:
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9005/kierrasting.jpg

Now, this isn't an attempt to smear Andy. He's free to do as he desires. Nonetheless, should any statements suddenly pop up of me making racist/sexist/homophobic/genocidal/etc remarks in or out of character, please talk to me first to see if I actually made them (which I won't have).

Some might say that I brought this upon myself by trapping him with a sting operation. However, to me, there's a big difference between catching someone doing something naughty, and making something up. However, that's me. In any case...

I though the rest of you should know.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2010, 21:42 by Vikarion »

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
Re: An attempt to create false evemails.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2010, 21:59 »

Surely trolling can't possibly be this easy. :ugh:

Vikarion

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2010, 22:07 »

If it is trolling, well done. If it isn't, well, one can't be too safe about IC/OOC integrity, can they. BTW, welcome to the forum.  :D

Incidentally, when you do want to falsify information, it's best not to inform your opponent that you are about to do so, eh?

Of course, if you can lure your target into actually saying something pretty evil, that's the best thing of all.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2010, 22:12 »

Do you seriously think, given prior experience and the fact that you apparently take a stone-etched memorandum of everything I say, that I'd say any of that to you under the assumption that you would hold any of it in the slightest bit of confidence?

Also, please don't talk to me about integrity. For reference, using information about someone's OOC mental state for IC gain is generally considered a "dick move".

Vikarion

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2010, 22:18 »

Do you seriously think, given prior experience and the fact that you apparently take a stone-etched memorandum of everything I say, that I'd say any of that to you under the assumption that you would hold any of it in the slightest bit of confidence?

Also, please don't talk to me about integrity. For reference, using information about someone's OOC mental state for IC gain is generally considered a "dick move".

Holding it in confidence would have been foolish, I think. Much better to let everyone know what your character might try to do.

Also, I'm afraid that I do not, and have not ever known anything about your OOC mental state. I do remember you once saying that Andreus was pretty frustrated with the Federation, but I know literally nothing about you, the person behind the character. Whatever OOC mental state you had when you wrote an IC evemail to Kierra is unknown to me,

In addition, I felt that the possibility of you using OOC evemails for IC purposes justified a...pre-emptive strike to avoid such, if you will. I see, personally, a difference between a character of mine luring a character of your into making an IC communication, and someone taking an OOC mail and altering it. If you do not, I understand, but I won't be constrained to using only IC resources to combat those who will use both.

Again, if you've somehow received the impression that I'm using OOC knowledge of you to target you somehow, as opposed to your character, that's not an impression I've either intended or thought I was giving.

I think this is all I need to say on the subject.

« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2010, 22:19 by Vikarion »

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2010, 23:27 »

[admin]Reputations being as important as they are in this game, and especially in this small part of its playerbase, it's understandable that someone would want to protect their OOC reputation against possible abuse.At the same time, with no such OOC attack being made, to call out a particular person for possibly thinking about doing such a thing has only one definite outcome: it's going to piss that person off.I don't think the intent here was to post flamebait, and I thank Andy for not responding with as much excitement as I've seen him post elsewhere, but even though no 'rule' was explicitly violated here I don't think the thread needs to continue down the road it's going.If ever someone suspects they might be targeted by falsified eve-mails or other doctored screenshots in the future, I suggest they take the same steps to protect themselves that Vikarion did here, but wait until after the attack has happened to defend oneself against it.  If we all were to post about what we thought someone else might try to do to us, we'd soon see nothing but accusations about actions that hadn't happened yet.. that would be bad.[/admin]

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.