Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The nation of Jin-Mei is the latest addition to the Federation? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: CW: Caldari Prime  (Read 7117 times)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
Re: CW: Caldari Prime
« Reply #30 on: 16 Sep 2015, 16:37 »

So, Pieter, how do you want to become involved?
Pieter has business on Cal Prime at the moment.
Also, note: it takes place in the future, when the project is finished.

Onzo, I'm okay with you taking the lead for a bit. Consider Ché to be strolling along if I don't reply regularly.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2015, 16:42 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Utari Onzo

« Reply #31 on: 28 Oct 2015, 01:21 »

Fair warning. I am coming up to the end of the bits I wanted to show.

The parts and places I've already presented were intended to show to Aria that the Gallente influence is subtle. Unlike an Amarr Reclaimation, I can well imagine the Federation woul seek rather to introduce their laws and freedoms, and let the people progress into the culture naturally, if at all.

To counter the positive tone, it has been told through the eyes of an Amarrian who was brought up with many of the same prejudices as the Caldari.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 28 Oct 2015, 16:14 »

I don't imagine the Gallente influence would have been at all subtle - I see it very much as a Berlin-esque situation, with very indentifiable cultural enclaves where the populations used to be forced to live in enforced segregation and, now that the walls have come down, there is only a slight blurring around the edges - along with the scars of the various conflicts still being visible.

The only cultural homogeneity would be in new construction in the urban centers - mostly cultural resource centers, economic centers and - most especially - administration centers for the new governments.

I'm kinda baffled how you could possibly have the idea that it would be a slow and peaceful intermeshing of cultures - given the cultural distinctiveness in the first place, the traditions of opression, the invasions, the segregations and the general antipathy that seem to be the bedrock of the situation. Perhaps I'm a little more at home to such concepts, given my childhood, growing up in British enclaves in Germany, Holland and Belgium, given Northern Ireland, given my time in Berlin.

Even before the invasions, the Gallente generally used their technology to settle in places that the Caldari had been unable to build cities. After the invasions, they bussed in colonial populations and enforced Caldari and Gallente districts even in the shared cities. Heth didn't create ghettos when he invaded, he simply enforced the existing ones - albeit with a heavier hand than the Gallente probably did and with the guards on the other side of the gates.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2015, 16:19 by Pieter Tuulinen »

Utari Onzo

« Reply #33 on: 28 Oct 2015, 18:28 »

You're probably right that I as a person don't know those experiances off the first hand, and there is a lot of that history I didn't cover. That said, on reflection I still don't think I was wrong to focus on the subtle parts of Gallente influence. Those are the areas that naturally would be more of my character's concerns as a rival culture, as unlike obvious segregation tactics, these ones are more difficult to combat.

The other reason I took the path I did is that, by my reckoning atleast, the situation would have started to normalise in terms of every day life. It's gotten to the point where the Gallente are even building a joint space port with the State, as referenced on a Scope video ticker. While in the past segregation and enforcement might have been a means for either side to coerce the population their way, with the current demilitarisation and peaceful overtures, I can't see heavy handed approaches continuing.

Naturally, everyone who wants to participate is free to apply their own stamp and show other effects of the Gallente influence on Caldari Prime. I've played out the parts I wanted and focused on the present. I'll leave it to the Caldari and the Gallente characters to present the past.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 16 Nov 2015, 17:58 »

Folks, if nothing further happens with this by Friday, I'm calling it-- which means it happens. I'll keep the precise timing vague to avoid alibi syndrome ("You can't possibly have been planetside at that time-- you were in fleet with us!").

I'll assume various other, less-important visits and encounters did in fact occur.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 17 Nov 2015, 13:50 »

You're probably right that I as a person don't know those experiances off the first hand, and there is a lot of that history I didn't cover. That said, on reflection I still don't think I was wrong to focus on the subtle parts of Gallente influence. Those are the areas that naturally would be more of my character's concerns as a rival culture, as unlike obvious segregation tactics, these ones are more difficult to combat.

The other reason I took the path I did is that, by my reckoning atleast, the situation would have started to normalise in terms of every day life. It's gotten to the point where the Gallente are even building a joint space port with the State, as referenced on a Scope video ticker. While in the past segregation and enforcement might have been a means for either side to coerce the population their way, with the current demilitarisation and peaceful overtures, I can't see heavy handed approaches continuing.

Naturally, everyone who wants to participate is free to apply their own stamp and show other effects of the Gallente influence on Caldari Prime. I've played out the parts I wanted and focused on the present. I'll leave it to the Caldari and the Gallente characters to present the past.

You're talking about events post the power-sharing deal? Yes - that's a big departure from the past, which is one of the reasons why Pieter is so positive and happy about the process that's happening on Caldari Prime right now.

Sadly, no Caldari characters seem to have participated in the world-building exercise - which is fine, because it remains completely the opinion of the characters involved and thusly completely subjective and that's perfectly good and I'm not criticising it for a second.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 24 Nov 2015, 22:09 »

Right! Calling it. Event occurred some time in the last/next couple days.
Pages: 1 2 [3]