Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That  following several months of dedicated research, the Synenose Accord held a public and widely attended conference in the shattered Seyllin system, site of the tragic Seyllin Main-Sequence event? See more here

Author Topic: [Musical Instrument][Modern Matari Culture] Drum Circle  (Read 1585 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

An excerpt from an article series on modern music instruments, this one focusing on the Drum Circle.

It isn't known if this was invented by someone who heard "drum circle" and misunderstood it, or if they simply co-opted the word for their own usage. In the end it matters little, because there is no doubt the name has stuck, however controversial both it and the instrument itself has become. To understand this newer addition to Matari music culture, a little overview of older elements needs to be obtained.

The Wind and Earth Dance. It's not entirely known if it was invented separately in the Vherokior and Sebiestor culture, or if the origin of both instances of it is the same, but there can be no doubt the foremost practitioners and artists have always been Vherokior or Sebiestor almost to the point of tribal exclusivity. While there are certain minor differences between the standard forms of each tribe, some things are universal to all Wind and Earth Dance. The practitioner is almost always well trained in the spiritual matters of the Matari, particularly in the field of spirits of the elements. Secondly, the practitioner will have mastered a form of fluid martial arts, usually the traditional artistic forms of their tribe. So what is this dance? For some, it's where the practitioner tunes in so well with the spirits of wind and earth that they can join in their elemental dance and even channel their power for combat, ritual or simple joyful communion. For others it's simply a dance implementing the grace and brutality of martial arts, as well as a means to achieve a rhythm induced mental state or a trance that has a measurable neurological impact on the practitioner.

No matter which, these practitioners are highly valued as performers and examples of old ways that have been restored after the attempt to systematically eradicate Matari culture.

The Impact Wheels. A simpler thing to explain, as it's not particularly complex to start with. Three circles consisting of padded or un-padded impact targets intended for martial arts training, similar to punching bags, sparring gloves and so on. These circles will surround a practitioner one above the other so there are three levels of impact targets surrounding them on all sides. These will then rotate around the practitioner in different directions, speeds and rhythms to suit the forms of the practitioner or for the practitioner to adapt their forms to. Not the most common form of training, but used in several martial arts for practicing exhibition routines or long and difficult sets.

Looking back, it's quite obvious how someone hearing "Drum Circle" would combine the two, to the cheers or chagrin of Matari cultural figures of all kinds. The impact targets exchanged for drums of various kinds, rotating around a Wind and/or Earth dancer producing the most haunting, eccentric or simply brutal drum rhythms through a most unusual but undeniably beautiful dance of sound and sight. Fists, elbows, knees, open hands, feet and anything in between striking the drums, with or without implements like drummer's sticks or simply wrapped limbs, in a rhythm and tune determined by the dance and rotating pattern of the drums, the Drum Circle has become a widely popular - yet often maligned - combination of instrument and dance performance in a wide variety of music genres across Modern Matari pop culture.

While initially limited largely to Vherokior and Sebiestor performers, it has started to attract performers of every tribe adapting the instrument and dances to their own cultural proficiency in martial arts, dance, instruments and styles. There can be no doubt that any successful performer is a master of the instrument, as it is extremely difficult to master music, dance, combat and even harder to combine them all cohesively.

While many voice the concern that this is diluting the original purposes and art of Wind and Earth dancing, it's mostly resigned complaints because the popularity of it is not going to allow such complaints to affect their use to any significant degree.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
Re: [Musical Instrument][Modern Matari Culture] Drum Circle
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug 2015, 09:58 »

Thoughts on this? I am thinking of just doing an "interlude" sort of thing between Penumbra chapters and I needed a somewhat unique musical instrument that'd be nicely Matari yet a demanding performance that practically demands a live/video performance to be fully appreciated.

Arrendis

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 04 Aug 2015, 10:30 »

I like it. As I mentioned in chat, I'm so seeing this lending itself to Kodo / Cirque de Soleil-esque massive productions as the centerpieces to festivals and such.... and the fact that the older, more conservative traditionalists grumble about it probably only makes it flashier and bigger and more appealing to some.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 04 Aug 2015, 10:35 »

Most definitely. The usage I intend for it?

Muthafuckin' RUST METAL!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 Aug 2015, 15:53 »

I am definitely going to have Arnulf take up this form as a sideline to his Ogun Oke practice.

Ta!
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 04 Aug 2015, 15:59 »

I am definitely going to have Arnulf take up this form as a sideline to his Ogun Oke practice.

Ta!

You're welcome. Ogun Oke? The only thing I found on internet searches was a people named Oke Ogun.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 Aug 2015, 11:32 »

Ta!

You're welcome. Ogun Oke? The only thing I found on internet searches was a people named Oke Ogun.

I'm referencing a bit of world building I did myself.

This:
http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=4241.0
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 05 Aug 2015, 11:51 »

Sneaky, doing worldbuilding while I'm away. Nice one.