Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The main ingredients in Protein Delicacies were in fact organic waste, processed station sewage and second grade biomass? For more, read here.

Author Topic: Beneath the Asakki Pines  (Read 516 times)

Simon Louvaki

• Clonejack
    • Sengokuvaa Kaltiovon | Honor | Duty | Percerverence
Beneath the Asakki Pines
« on: 30 Jul 2015, 20:03 »

NOTE: This is notmy own work, and belongs to Scherezad (as far as I am aware, as she was the one who origionally posted it) and I just rediscovered it recently digging through my old Evemails. It was posted on the the IGS once before, but it has quickly became one of my favorite stories. I did a search and didn't find any keywords matching the story on the board soI thought I would share this really nice piece for those who haven't seen it!

Before the Raata Empire, the Saamelaiseki Basin was ruled by Good King Saamaska. His rule was fair and just, and though the winters were hard his people prospered.

Amongst his subjects was a family of rabbits, who were in turn ruled by Long-limb. These rabbits lived in the foothills to the north, and were possessed of snowy white pelts and short ears that lay flat to their heads. Long-limb ruled them for he was fastest so he was well suited for running, and also he had the longest ears so that he was well suited for hearing their foes. These rabbits lived amongst the trees and in the crevasses between them.

Amongst the rabbits was a youngling who was named Black-eye. He was so named because his eyes were round like river pebbles, and they were black as a moonless night.

One winter was especially cold and blustery, so harsh that it drove a grimacing kenko down from the peaks. A kenko is a vicious predator not unlike a bear, but possessed of a sleeker body and well suited to running through snowdrifts. It is also ravenously hungry, and this one in particular thought that the flesh of rabbits was especially succulent. Fortunately, it hunts only at night, so the rabbits could at least forage in the light of day in relative safety.

When Black-eye heard of the kenko, he was frightened, and spoke to his friends about his fears. His friends, who were older, laughed, and told him to not fear. If the kenko came they would all run, together, and would outrun the kenko. They were fearful also, of course - who would have no fear for a kenko? - but they bolstered one anothers' spirits with encouragement.

But Black-eye was still afraid. He was, however, a very clever rabbit. He came to a farmer's soot-pile, and rolled about in it, and thought to himself, "If the kenko comes tonight, I will hide beneath the Asakki pines, which are dark and have deep shadows. I will be safe there."

When his friends saw him, they told him, "Black-eye! You are covered in soot. When we must run from the kenko, you will stand out against the white snow!"

Black-eye replied, "When the kenko comes, I will hide from him under the Asakki pines, which are dark and have deep shadows. I will be safe there."

The other rabbits agreed that he would hide well in the shadows with his pelt so covered in soot. "That is very clever, Black-eye! But there are not many Asakki pines, and there are many of us. We will run from the kenko."

Later, Long-limb saw Black-eye with his pelt covered in soot, and said, "Black-eye! You are covered in soot. When we must run from the kenko, you will stand out against the white snow!"

Again, Black-eye replied, "When the kenko comes, I will have from him under the Asakki pines, which are dark and have deep shadows. I will be safe there."

Long-limb agreed, "You will hide well in the shadows with your pelt so covered in soot." but he seemed sad. "Be prepared, Black-eye. Death will come tonight."

The sun set quickly, and it was as black as a moonless night. The rabbits huddled together for warmth as they are wont to do, and as the stars pricked through the black veil of night, there was a terrible howl that rolled through the Saamelaiseki. It was the kenko!

The rabbits shuddered, and they hid their muzzles beneath their paws to keep from squeaking in fear. Some half buried themselves in the snow to hide themselves, and others froze stock still, coiled tight as wound rope. Black-eye had prepared, however, and kept his head. He went to the Asakki pine and hid beneath it, and then froze still as he heard the snow crunching beneath the enrazor'd paws of the stalking kenko.

It burst from the darkness like a thunderclap, amidst a great crash of flying snow! The rabbits shrieked, and they sprang from their hiding places, bounding together through the forest in flight from the beast. Once, twice, three times! The kenko slashed amidst the fleeing rabbits, plucking them out like a bear swatting fish from a river, skewering them on its vicious claws. Four, five, six! The kenko slowed, and before a minute had passed the rabbits had gotten away, leaving behind some few of their number, slain by the beast.

Black-eye hid, frozen in terror, beneath the Asakki pine. He watched the kenko return with the limp bodies of his friends in its wide fanged mouth, and heard the crunch of their bones. He saw the snow stain red with their blood. The kenko left to find a den and sleep away his meal when time drew long. Black-eye had survived the beast! He lived, unlike his poor friends who had decided to run with Long-limb and the rest of the rabbits.

Black-eye had no one with him to watch for the coyotes that now circled, and no one to run with him as he fled. No one saw him die betwixt their jaws, and no one knew his fate.

as recounted by An Enakketsu, of the family of Enakkamarieki,
of the Saamelaisejikin