Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that station interiors have a day/night cycle mimicking planets? (p. 88)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k Armies  (Read 2679 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Warhammer 40k Armies
« on: 12 Jul 2015, 07:23 »

Went through several pages and did a search, but couldn't find the old thread so guess we can make a new one.

After getting a lot of time on my hands after the car accident, I've gotten into quite a few things and one of them turned out to be Warhammer 40K miniature collection, building and painting. As far as I know there's no other players around where I live, so it's just a gathering hobby for me but turns out it's a lot of fun nonetheless.

The 40K universe has always fascinated me with its utterly over the top grimdark, batfuck crazy societies, the cheapness of human lives and so on, so I got into the actual game/miniatures arse backwards instead, going through the novels -> Computer games and then finally -> Hobbyist.

Haven't got pictures of all my models yet, but here's some phone pics (album) of my very first couple of Dark Angels, with a couple of shots below:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

It's unfuckingbelievable how hard it can be to paint these little buggers, but I think I've done allright for starting out.

So, post your armies and models here, ladies and gents.

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
Re: Warhammer 40k Armies
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2015, 15:26 »

I've always been one of those people who started armies but never finished them.

My first attempts were Ultramarines, but I've dabbled in a few Imperial Guard armies as well as Chaos Marines and Traitor Guard.

Right now I have a Grot Army (Ork variant) on the go, which is great as you can really have fun with them.

I'll look at uploading some pics.

Recently though, visions of Chaos have been in my dreams again, and the Alpha Legion are tempting me, so I may find myself pledging my soul to the dark Gods once more.
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2015, 22:04 »

I've always been one of those people who started armies but never finished them.

My first attempts were Ultramarines, but I've dabbled in a few Imperial Guard armies as well as Chaos Marines and Traitor Guard.

Right now I have a Grot Army (Ork variant) on the go, which is great as you can really have fun with them.

I'll look at uploading some pics.

Recently though, visions of Chaos have been in my dreams again, and the Alpha Legion are tempting me, so I may find myself pledging my soul to the dark Gods once more.

'Once more'? How does one turn back from Chaos?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2015, 22:55 »

I wish I could afford these.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2015, 01:09 »

The Fallen must Repent!

I wish I could afford these.

They're 'spensive, no doubt about that. On the other hand, the hours upon hours each model can sometimes demand when painting sort of makes it a reasonable amount of money per hour of fun. Besides, they're awesome.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2015, 08:00 »

Ah, 40K.  Say goodbye to your wallet :) But it's a wonderful wonderful trip. I went to a GW convention once and they had like, the most enormous dioramas of a giant siege battle on a Nurgle castle and it was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen (model wise).

I stopped playing around 5th ed.  and from what I've heard it's just a completely different game right now (for good and bad).

That was when they were still using pewter metal for the special units before the resin finecast stuff.  Nothing says work harder on your modeling until you have to insert metal splints inside your pewter dreadnaught so the thing can stand upright in a cool position... :)

I really, really enjoyed the 'game' part of 40k. The actual playing the game and rolling dice and strategy and tiny armies.  Did not ever care if I lost or won I just loved playing the game, and campaigns and all the scenery, so fun.

I really, really hated all the painting and collecting and stupid amount of money.  After a while it just looked like a complete rip off, what GW charges for what they give you.  A few bits of plastic, for HOW MUCH?

Plastic is one of the cheapest mass-produced products out there, and they are charging 1000% markup.

My last armies I was really building up (Imperial Guard and Daemons)  i started adding up how much it was going to cost me before I actually had enough good troops to play some decent 1500/2000 point games and that was all she wrote.

Sold everything to friends of friends make a bunch of cash and bought computer parts :P

But I do miss my black templars and orks and daemons and imperial guards :/

And I really like the IP concepts and factions and such but don't like any of the 'lore' after a while because I don't need to know what my hulking man mountain death machines of the imperium are thinking, I just want to see them chainsword people.

Also new Necrons are so, so stupid. Individualist Space Tomb Kings? GTFO of here, go back to old Necrons which were so boss (and OP).

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2015, 09:19 »

Well, they're not just charging for the plastic. The new models are far more detailed and elaborately designed and there's still a lot of work put into a frame of models. Of course, it's still a significant mark-up, but let's face it. We'll pay for it. And I guess I'm on the other side of things when it comes to the game vs collecting/painting.

There's just something so very enjoyable about sitting down and getting out the parts, gently scraping mold lines, figuring out if the model in question is better painted assembled or disassembled and then sitting down for either a long session with one model or an assembly line of models for faster production. It's so satisfying to see the model come to such life as you apply more and more to it, watching the details pop up as you make the skulls shine gold and give the robe some highlights/shades. Picking out the tiny details, applying just an infinitesimal speck of metal grey to a bolt or rivet and suddenly the whole weapon looks so much more complete.

I really need to get better at highlighting and glow effects though. Plasma Cannons deserve better than what I can do these days. I give it a year before I have attained the skills to just dump everything I've ever painted into a solvent bath and start over.

I'm definitely with you on the fun over victory at all costs thing though. WH40K is one of those games where you can actually forge a proper narrative and if the dice are in your favor even a sub-optimal army can pull of some great heroics or you can craft a whole series of scenarios if you wish.

When I'm done with the Dark Angels army (new Codex just released, yay! No longer bottom rung army!), I'll make an Imperial Guard army as well, but I'll be doing the "custom chapter" thing only with IG. I'm thinking Cadian models largely, but try a Dark Angels color scheme and write up this backstory about how they came to be connected with the DAs. That should let me field either or, should I ever get any decent games, or combine them to fill out each other's weaknesses a bit. Dark Angels are notoriously bad at table presence due to lower numbers of more expensive units, as well as poor anti-air and IG provide both in spades. Well, an Imperial Knight or two should also be doable.

... also, I sort of want to empty an entire bucket of dice on the table at least once.

As far as I know, Necrons are still stupidly powerful though. Not quite as OP as certain Eldar metas, but damn strong nonetheless.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2015, 09:22 »

Also, need Forgeworld Whirlwinds. And Deredeos. And normal Dreads. And ogodmywalletwhy...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2015, 09:44 »

There is nothing quite as satisfying as using a huge spammy dakka dakka army and just rolling like 40 dice on someone.  Orks or IG or Tau or whatever.  You get shot to hell on enemy turn but then:

SAY HELLO TO MY BAG OF DICE FIRST RANK FIRE SECOND RANK FIIIIIRE

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2015, 09:49 »

Bitch gon' roll a one eventually, yeah?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2015, 09:59 »

The dice gods laugh at the best laid plans.

I've.....seen things.....

Entire squads of soldiers firing point blank and missing completely, scores of twin linked lascannons glancing harmlessly off of tanks..... the gods are cruel.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2015, 15:23 »

I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2015, 05:51 »

Anyway, how do you paint chapter badges? No matter what I do, I can't seem to get properly sharp lines. I'm toying with the idea of simply thinning the paint so far and have so little on the brush it couldn't flow a nanometer other than where I want it, but that'd mean a ton of coats to get decent coverage and more chances of fuckin' it up anyway.

They're headache inducing to paint.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2015, 04:53 »

No one paints chapter badges? Hrr. I should finish the Terminator squad I'm working on and do some proper pictures. I'll see what I can do after the weekend.

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jul 2015, 16:05 »

Are you using the latest paints?

The tech behind their latest paints make them vastly superior to the paints from years ago, but the addition of a little water still helps.

In my early years when I was still a loyalist lapdog of the corpse-Emperor I resorted to transfers, but since devoting myself to the Dark Pantheon I was rewarded with having easier icons to paint  :P

The xenos might have distracted me for a bit but you how it is with Slaanesh  :cube:
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride
Pages: [1] 2