Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

All male members of the Ardishapur family traditionally have their right hand amputated? See why you don't make the Emperor's mother angry.

Author Topic: [PPC] Pakhshi Peace Conference - Feedback/sum up  (Read 2377 times)

Utari Onzo

Hello!

It's been a while since I've posted on here, I'll keep this brief.

Nearly 2 months, a lot of OOC and IC drama, a player walk out and other things, we finally managed to bring the PPC to a close. What a run. I want to thank the community that rallied behind this event, and helped to bring it to a complete circle after Arkon sadly burned out of the game.

And now for the document link
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KPmPV-vBcC1CPVT6IeKN8M_Ma81oocJtp4VkOZXNQww/edit?usp=sharing

It's out there in the IC public, so feel free to respond to it all however you like.

In terms of running the event, it was slapdash to say the least at times as Liam and I really had to work fast to take control of the situation when we took over. I probably made a tonne of mistakes, the whole format ended up burning out participation in some individuals, and honestly I'd rather never have to go through staying up till 1am on a work night (getting up at 5:30am). But it really does feel like it was worth it.

So, without further ado, please submit any and all feedback here on the PPC event itself. Here's some general questions on what kind of feedback I'd like:

How was it managed, both in terms of the flow of the event and scheduling? What would you suggest would have been better?

Would you like to see this become an annual thing? What other areas could a peace conference explore?

How were the mails? Were instructions on how to proceed clear?

Voting format, was the final decided format good?

To be clear also, I would very much appreciate if any bans/removal as delegates are not discussed here. The individuals involved all got their say to us, we got our say to them, and as far as Liam and I are concerned those matters got dealt with. I specifically only want feedback on the event itself, its structure, and what you think you would have done differently to make it run better as an event.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2015, 06:50 by Utari Onzo »

Lyn Farel

Re: [PPC] Pakhshi Peace Conference - Feedback/sum up
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:31 »

My congratulations to have held fast until the end, and even more for having managed the event with brilliance overall.

Well, there were a few things that understandably were maybe not clear enough... A clear incentive to make the people unable to attend due to the timezone (the worst timezone possible I think...), to actually post their objections via mail... There was a clear lack of participation of the people involved that were not able to be present at sessions... Maybe they didn't know they had a way to still take part ? Maybe they didn't read well ? If so, that means that it wasn't clear enough... Or maybe they just didn't care, and thus, I guess nothing can really be done to prevent that...

I think though that the people present, either in the commissions or in the whole congress thing, should have been removed past a certain period if inactive (meaning, having provided nothing), maybe...?

All in all, I do not find many flaws to point out... The main one was clearly the participation level (especially some commissions that were totally empty).

I also voiced another one ICly : the difference between the mail format for objections/votes and the votes in session, as well as the bringing up of said objections voiced by mail, in sessions.

Nissui

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2015, 12:45 »

As I had no connection to the proceedings, I just want to say that I am sincerely impressed by the work put in by the organizers and participants. Given the unprecedented nature of the event, I think the organization and execution were performed admirably as unforeseeable difficulties presented themselves.

Bravo, doods.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2015, 16:50 »

I know I suggested - and I think mulitple others did as well - one big suggestion for future conferences:

Use a forum for discussion.

One of the big problems we had was timezone difficulties; forums, in large part, would resolve the problems associated with people not being able to meet off-hours while still giving them a chance to have their voice heard. It would also handle the "mailspam" associated with debates, and produce a unified place to have records of people's opinions. Major votes could still be held on relevant topics, as would the first and last few general meetings.

In terms of the timeframe, perhaps 1 week initially was too short: Maybe 2 weeks for commission-general stuff, with a possibility of 3 to account for unexpected problems?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Utari Onzo

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:58 »

I think the forum suggestion is a very good one, and likely solves a lot of Lyn's issues too (which are pretty correct)

Timezone wise it was more sticky. I couldn't physically run them later for more ustz presence, any earlier would also have lead to lower participation as the eu crowd didn't seem as interested at the initial sign up. I kind of inherited a bad mix of eu/us and overall the timing as as good as it would be without killing myself from lack of sleep. If i end up being chair for another one, it's likely i'll stick to around about the same timing, but your point is bang on Lyn. Sorry i couldn't do more to accomodate :(

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2015, 08:51 »

Yeah I know... No worries...

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2015, 09:45 »

The TZ is the problem. If I didn't have to work late (Ha!) and if I came straight home from work and if I went straight down and logged in when I got home then I could usually manage to miss the first hour of two to three hour session.

Without mail participation, I would NOT have been able to take part in the conference in any real and meaningful sense.

That said, mail participation was at the discretion of the individual Commissions. The Commissions that I was part of had the good sense to establish these rules early on - some participants, however, seem to have not gotten that memo and their participation was so low that they really ought to have been removed from the Commission.

Lessons Learned:

1. This is hard to do. Logistically. Diplomatically. Administratively. It takes a lot of effort.

2. This is still supposed to be an RP event. It is absurdly easy to sabotage it and, I assume, also fun to do so. Even those who can't be bothered to show up in person to make things hard can easily snipe from the IGS forum. Don't get too invested. Don't get too angry when they do so.

3. Moar Admin means Less Confusion. The more on-point communication you share within a committee the less confusion there will be about the state of play. Com1 was organised and there was no controversy. Com2 was not so organised and almost caused fistfighting. ;)

Cakzad Arcashiri

• Stick-Up-His-Arse-Holder
  • Clonejack
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2015, 08:54 »

Here's my feedback  :lol: :
There was a lot of TMZ difficulties, and sometimes the times were kinda stressful for me lololol, but it was a ton of fun (at least for the time I was able to participate).

I deeply apologize if I caused any difficulties, but I had a ton of fun for what I participated in, and it was a lot of RP and a very interesting.

Good work guys! And thank you for going threw all that stress for this event  ;)

:cube:
"I hope that War is quick, violent, and forceful. But not this, never this."
 - Cakzad Arcashiri discussing the Militia Wars.

Tabor Murn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2015, 07:57 »

Forums would have probably been an improved format. I think you and Liam did a great job trying to organize everything. I know I had fun. Tabor's withdrawal had as much due to RL obligations not meshing well with the timing and format of the conference as it did with IC reasons. I hope to see more events like this in the future!