Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sansha ships originally armored tanked?

Author Topic: Christopher Lee, Dead at 93  (Read 2949 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Christopher Lee, Dead at 93
« on: 11 Jun 2015, 09:45 »

So, yeah. He's finally passed away. What is it with us losing piles of incredible actors this year? Seems like there isn't going to be anyone left by 2016.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
Re: Christopher Lee, Dead at 93
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2015, 10:41 »

The world is noticeably diminished by his passing. This week I also learned that the reason I haven't seen much of Tim Curry recently is because he suffered a stroke a couple of years ago and is partially paralysed.

On a slightly more humourous note, I did see in his BBC Biography this morning that the British government is still not giving out information on what Christopher Lee did during his war service, simply noting that he was part of the airforce reserve. Why do governments cling to secrets that have long since stopped being secret? :)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2015, 13:16 »

I am surprised... he always seemed to be very healthy and energetic... doing all kinds of things... Even playing in metal bands...

This makes me sad. He was kind of awesome.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2015, 14:10 »

I am surprised... he always seemed to be very healthy and energetic... doing all kinds of things...

Honestly, when I saw the first Hobbit movie I was somewhat shocked by how much more aged and stiff he looked compared to Return of the King. It was clear that age was getting to him, although I wasn't aware of any serious medical issues.

On a side note: A lot of people talk about his time in the special services, but let's take a look for a second at the other stuff he went through:
- Suffered failure of his optic nerve during training, preventing him from being a pilot (his first choice of service).
- Dragged himself out of depression and decided to join the intelligence corps instead.
- Nearly died when his airfield was bombed.
- Caught malaria and recovered six times. Six. Times.
- More or less singlehandedly put down a mutiny with his knowledge of Russia.
- Went to Italy and saw some of the worst fighting there, including Monte Cassino.
- Nearly died again when a plane carrying armed bombs crashed on takeoff.
- Went to Rome, where he met one of the leaders of the Italian Resistance... who just happened to be his second cousin.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Karynn

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2015, 15:04 »

:cry:

What a career. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2015, 02:04 »

The world is noticeably diminished by his passing. This week I also learned that the reason I haven't seen much of Tim Curry recently is because he suffered a stroke a couple of years ago and is partially paralysed.

On a slightly more humourous note, I did see in his BBC Biography this morning that the British government is still not giving out information on what Christopher Lee did during his war service, simply noting that he was part of the airforce reserve. Why do governments cling to secrets that have long since stopped being secret? :)

Lots of great people dead this year. Wonder why. Something in the water perhaps?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2015, 09:14 »

Apparently during the directing of the lord of the rings films he was told "Try and imagine what it sounds like when a man chokes on his blood" or something.
To which he replied "I don't need to imagine".

He was associated with the ministry of ungentlemanly conduct I believe

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2015, 09:28 »

Apparently during the directing of the lord of the rings films he was told "Try and imagine what it sounds like when a man chokes on his blood" or something.

"Filming a scene in Return of the King (seen only in the extended version), when Grima Wormtongue (Brad Dourif) stabs Saruman in the back on top of the tower, Christopher Lee corrected Peter Jackson on the fact that when a person is stabbed in the back of the chest, they do not scream (as the director wanted), in fact the air is pushed out of their lungs and they “groan” with an exhalation of air, very quietly, as their lungs have been punctured.
From Peter Jackson’s DVD commentary: “When I was shooting the stabbing shot with Christopher, as a director would, I was explaining to him what he should do… And he says, ‘Peter, have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he’s stabbed in the back?’ And I said, 'Um, no.’ And he says 'Well, I have, and I know what to do.’”

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2015, 10:27 »

Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, in fact. :)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2015, 12:09 »

SOE, the special operations executive. For my 40th birthday someone gifted me with a copy of SOE Syllabus. It's a book by the UK Public Record Office that shows the course notes used to instruct agents before being inserted into occupied Europe. About half of it is Nazi uniform recognition & order of battle stuff. The other half is fairly detailed notes on how to set up & run an insurgency.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2015, 12:37 »

SOE, the special operations executive. For my 40th birthday someone gifted me with a copy of SOE Syllabus. It's a book by the UK Public Record Office that shows the course notes used to instruct agents before being inserted into occupied Europe. About half of it is Nazi uniform recognition & order of battle stuff. The other half is fairly detailed notes on how to set up & run an insurgency.

does it have the bit about how, if you expect the Gestapo to be coming in through the door, you should climb on top of any pianos or wardrobes present, in order to jump down on the Gestapo with the element of surprise ?
\o/

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2015, 16:34 »

does it have the bit about how, if you expect the Gestapo to be coming in through the door, you should climb on top of any pianos or wardrobes present, in order to jump down on the Gestapo with the element of surprise ?

No. But it does have the bit about not carrying a gun unless you're executing an operation that needs one. Unless you're the radio operator. Then you carry a pistol at all times so you can kill yourself to prevent capture.

Guidance on cell structure and how it works. Types of cell. Dead & live letter drops. Basic cyphering and the use of innocuous newspaper small ads to send hidden messages.

Also useful notes on small unit tactics for doing things like assaulting buildings, moving people cross country and so forth. Oh and some notes on camouflage.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2015, 06:29 »

"Filming a scene in Return of the King (seen only in the extended version), when Grima Wormtongue (Brad Dourif) stabs Saruman in the back on top of the tower, Christopher Lee corrected Peter Jackson on the fact that when a person is stabbed in the back of the chest, they do not scream (as the director wanted), in fact the air is pushed out of their lungs and they “groan” with an exhalation of air, very quietly, as their lungs have been punctured.
From Peter Jackson’s DVD commentary: “When I was shooting the stabbing shot with Christopher, as a director would, I was explaining to him what he should do… And he says, ‘Peter, have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he’s stabbed in the back?’ And I said, 'Um, no.’ And he says 'Well, I have, and I know what to do.’”

Well damn. His loss is really regrettable.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2015, 14:53 »

Couldn't remember the exact quote whilst at work. Thanks

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2015, 14:57 »

No. But it does have the bit about not carrying a gun unless you're executing an operation that needs one. Unless you're the radio operator. Then you carry a pistol at all times so you can kill yourself to prevent capture.

Guidance on cell structure and how it works. Types of cell. Dead & live letter drops. Basic cyphering and the use of innocuous newspaper small ads to send hidden messages.

Also useful notes on small unit tactics for doing things like assaulting buildings, moving people cross country and so forth. Oh and some notes on camouflage.

Apparently one of the most ruthless was a fashion designer \o/