Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanids were fellow settlers alongside the Amarrians on Athra, better known today as Amarr Prime? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  (Read 4250 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Mad Max: Fury Road
« on: 16 May 2015, 14:53 »

Go see it.  Go see it right now.  That is all.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2015, 15:00 »

is it good ?

i read it was "a man-hating feminist destruction of an American cultural icon", lol.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2015, 17:25 »

It was brilliant and a breath of fresh air in the stale movie world

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2015, 21:34 »

From the reviews I've read: It's not a complex movie. It makes no pretenses at being 'great art' or anything like that, no super-complex story or deep looks at human nature.

What it is, is a good fun action flick with well-written characters, excellent filmography (practical effects still looking awesome over CGI), and good writing. While that may not have stood out once upon a time, it certainly does these days. If you don't like that kind of movie to begin with - well, can't help you there.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2015, 01:40 »

Can Not Wait.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2015, 08:44 »

I looked over at my wife several times during some of the more insane action and was just like " I cannot believe miller convinced them to give him money and this actually got made!!".   

It had a feing of barely contained mayhem that I found infectious.  You'll either go along with it or check out early.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2015, 20:22 »

I've hard from buddies who actually work in film that its worth seeing in IMAX 3-D. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2015, 13:04 »

FanFuckingTastic.

Now, 2 things to point out, no spoilers ahead!

1. Having seen the other movies, and a thousand examples of apocalypse media, I was expecting 2 hours of browns and dull colors. To my surprise, every frame of this thing is bursting the color palette. When every square inch of the vehicles and shelters looks truly lived in, they don't just look like rust and sheet metal, people spruce up things important to them. It took me aback, especially compared to the other films.

2. Because of the above, visually, Fury Road sometimes reminded me of (you'll think this is bizarre)....Redline.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2015, 13:13 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Nissui

« Reply #8 on: 01 Jun 2015, 08:54 »

Saw it on Saturday with my brother, was well worth the price of admission. As Esna and Graelyn said, though it makes no pretenses, an immersive level of detail makes it easy to suspend disbelief and enjoy the tale.

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jun 2015, 09:06 »

We will ride eternal, shiny and chrome.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jun 2015, 10:10 »

That's awesome.

This movie was awesome.

I need to try and drag more of my family to see it.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jun 2015, 10:49 »

A very Minmatar sort of film. Right down to the prosthetics. You could drop the warboys and the whole shiny & chrome meme into Matari society & it would fit right in.

Saw it, loved it. Especially liked the fight when Max first runs into Furiosa.

I was impressed by the amount of character development that was crammed into an action film. I wish other film makers would take note.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 02 Jun 2015, 10:55 »

A very Minmatar sort of film. Right down to the prosthetics. You could drop the warboys and the whole shiny & chrome meme into Matari society & it would fit right in.

Saw it, loved it. Especially liked the fight when Max first runs into Furiosa.

I was impressed by the amount of character development that was crammed into an action film. I wish other film makers would take note.

PLOT TWIST

Fury Road takes place on Matar after the Eve Gate collapse.

ERRMAHGERR

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jun 2015, 12:50 »

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-710-5521-Silver-Color-Mist/dp/B005KTVG86/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&ref_=aw_cr_t_kitchen

please read the customer reviews.

Bahahahaha. That's great.

It's because Miller firmly believes in 'show, don't tell'. There's lots of teensy tiny things in there that build the world and character without a single line being spoken. We don't need to be told about what the war boys worship; their actions over the duration of the chase show us their believes.

Also, some fun facts about that flamethrowing guitar:
- It was an actual flamethrowing guitar.
- It weighted about 60 kilos / 132 pounds. There's a reason both guitar and player are suspended on bungie cords.
- The makeup covered the actor's actual eyes, and because of application time he had to spend several hours wearing it every day. Other crew would help him around the set.
- Apparently the guitar itself sounded horrible. The actor - iOTA - said he wouldn't want to record with it, but thought it was appropriate to the setting.
- The mask he wears is apparently supposed to be his mother's skull. Apparently his backstory is that Immortan Joe found him in a cave, his mother having been killed by raiders; being blind and thus not much good in a fight, he decided 'fuck them, if I can't fight I'm gonna ride into battle with a metal guitar and inspire other people to fight them!'
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: [1] 2