Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The language of the Amarr empire is spoken by more people than any other language? Read more in this Chronicle.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Intrest Check] Manus Colubra [WIP and yes this is a serious idea of mine..]  (Read 3902 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran

Even if that becomes a bit less fun when the issue is obvious because of a large unbalance between the 2 sides, I would advise against rigging and organizing the fights so that they are balanced... It would mean that some people would be left out to compensate, and also that it would be scripted... No spontaneousness, nothing...

If you can't reach a military balance, maybe it's better in those cases to rely either on asymmetric warfare, or events that are not based on the number of people, but rather on intelligence, logic, or in a more RPG fashion, being in relation with every corp OOCly and telling them "What do you do now ? Ok then, we do that in space..." and then they manage (or not) to recover for example X and Y objects in space or whatever...

More clearly, you can avoid direct confrontation by introducing indirect confrontation, where people will compete in your events but your events will not necessarily pit them against each other in pvp in an arena. Make them fight but through other means (contests, roleplay actions, etc, like a true game master).

Agreed. RL conflicts rarely involve even sides, yet they happen anyway. One side (usually the crooks) goes for stealth over direct confrontation, the other tries to catch the sneaky bastards, etc.

One of my major complaints about DUST was that it was always too damned symmetrical, too much like playing a sport.

Art imitating life is generally more compelling than art imitating art imitating life.

(Then again, I'm not much for sports.)

Anskek

You know we'll help manage any pvp fuckery Jonesy <3

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger

Well that answers one issue...

Timezone and location are still a large factor

Lyn Farel

Timezones can be mitigated if you play it like Kor : get it running in an asynchronous fashion, having a bit of RP with this character here, that corp later, and making them advanced through the story independently and keeping the main events to the minimum so that people can tie the story up together without having to constantly refer to TZ.

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger

Timezones can be mitigated if you play it like Kor : get it running in an asynchronous fashion, having a bit of RP with this character here, that corp later, and making them advanced through the story independently and keeping the main events to the minimum so that people can tie the story up together without having to constantly refer to TZ.

So if im reading this right (prolly not) you are suggesting i not focus in one area for the entire story...

But instead give every area their own little bits of stories..and should it ever call for a main event i would try and find a middle ground..

But you are suggesting "Ok for this day we will do a event with this corp....And for tomorrow we will do something over here with this corp and get them involved in the story....And how they handle this situation might have a impact for the next event for another corp" 

Right?

Lyn Farel

Not necessarily areas, but the time for events.

You will of course have your handful of main events when people are all there with their agendas, and be confronted to the timezone issue.

You can also have a lot of smaller, more dedicated events to single players or entities to make them advance the plot and unlock things, create stuff, etc. I mean, for example in Kor's event, you had the main events, and Kor also rolled with whatever (well subject to his acceptance of course, as long as it doesn't harm the event or the plot) the players came with. At some point for example, Kor asked Lyn to help him find and decipher a hidden code. That made the story advance, involved one player or a bigger entity without having to ask to everyone being present every time while still bringing RP interesting things to do for your players. And then they can even choose to do their own RP things by themselves. Lyn could have for example chosen to handle the code to someone else without Kor's consent. So it creates other opportunities as well that you don't have to take much care of yourself (just keep track of it).

Of course, it asks for a bit more work for the GM since you can potentially create a lot of those for every people.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2015, 02:46 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 [2]