Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Both Black Ops and Titans create artificial wormholes with their respective jump portal generators?

Author Topic: I don't really understand why the conference thread was locked.  (Read 2282 times)

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette

I don't have a problem with it if it just seemed like it might be going down a bad road - That's entirely the moderators call to make. But the reason for the catacombing implied there were people who were being crappy about the report. I don't think anyone was doing that - I wrote probably the biggest post picking at the minor meta-issues with it, but even I made sure to be very clear that I thought the thing itself was great, and at a base level, it was really cool to see CCP interfacing with the community in any capacity. I made a special effort to make it apparant that I really didn't want any critism to fall on the content creators in any capacity at all, even. Being ungrateful was the last thing I wanted to do.

The only other people who commented on it were Louella and Lyn, who also said they more or less thought it was a great piece of writing. So why was it shut down for that reason? I mean, I understand tempers can sort of run a bit hot when it comes to topics like this, but the only people who seemed kinda angry about it in any capacity were on... Well, the other side of the argument.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 04:29 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Mizhir

• Egger
  • Vherocool

Anslo asked for it to be locked afaik.

Lyn Farel

I... reported a post or two that I found, to speak frankly, very abrasive and ad personam. I don't think we deserved the bile we got...

But I really didn't expect the whole thread to be pruned like that. That's a bit harsh for the authors.  :|
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 04:35 by Lyn Farel »

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo

Anslo asked for it to be locked afaik.

I want to make it clear that there is no thread ownership except in the case of recruiting. His asking had no impact on my actions, nor has it ever had on moderation by anyone regarding any thread.
Trust me when I say we get a few reports per week with people asking us to delete or close things. It has yet to happen for that reason.

What prompted it was that the thread was spiralling downwards and becoming inflammatory. The thread was just going down in a slow burn.
Instead of talking to each other people decided to talk past each other and interpret things in the worst possible way.

Regarding pruning it this is done if we have the time and opportunity. Not long ago I had time and did that in regards to Caldari slavery iirc, in fact I forget what topic was the original one. I spent several hours over a couple of days as that thread in the end became three or four threads as people kept going off topic in the new threads spawning yet another split topic. In the end it turned into a hack job if I ever saw one. I'm unsure if any of the topics made any sense after I was through with them.

I'm less than pleased by having to take the action I did. If I felt I could've split things I would've done so.
That said I've no problems with the topic being reposted, in fact I encourage it.
The negative tangent it went off on has its own topic made by Silas and everyone would be able to discuss the addition made by Anslo and company on its own without distraction.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Anskek

Someone else can repost it. I'm done.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette

I hope I haven't upset you, Anslo. Like I said, it really wasn't my intention to kill anyones fun.

Anskek

I hope I haven't upset you, Anslo. Like I said, it really wasn't my intention to kill anyones fun.

Gwen you're a wonderful person and I love you <3 You're real and you were considerate of me. None of this is any of your fault, ok?

Lyn Farel

As a side genuine question, I just re-read carefully the catacombed thread and... it would seem that the commotion actually came from the discussion around sansha/blooder loyalists being included by CONCORD, right ? Not from the slack thing at all...