Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that a theremax is a musical instrument constructed of a thin, black piece of rubbery material with embedded oscillators that is played by moving one's hands in the electric field it generates? (p. 100)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: That's unerving as hell  (Read 6540 times)

Lyn Farel

That's unerving as hell
« on: 17 Apr 2015, 12:55 »

Mixing up what happened OOCly between players at fanfest and the IC Symposium that CCP somehow placated above in their ludicrous willingness to justify everything ingame.

I'm not happy with players playing along for the simple reason they got to FF. Let's not mix OOC and IC.

Just venting a bit, but it seriously pisses me off as it constantly breaks the 4th wall.

Thanks CCP I guess.  :psyccp:

That is all, you may feel free to disagree.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: That's unerving as hell
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2015, 12:59 »

Can you elaborate I have no idea what you are talking about?

Moar infos

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2015, 13:36 »

CCP integrates FF ICly as a Symposium held in New Eden, making players - and not their characters - part of what happens ICly in New Eden.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2015, 14:08 »

CCP integrates FF ICly as a Symposium held in New Eden, making players - and not their characters - part of what happens ICly in New Eden.

I thought that was just kind of a little joke they did?

That's why so many RP characters are 'gone' for those days. You know, at the conference

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2015, 15:00 »

Afaik, CCP always tried to break down the wall between character and player. It's economically a smaert move: It's building up player retention. Or to put it another way: It leads to psychological addiction through (relatively) easy fulfillment of desires, in those cases where those desires are left unfulfilled in real life.

If one looks at that, roleplayers are kind of opposed to CCP's goal of player retention, because they make an active, conscious effort to make a distinction between OOC and IC.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2015, 15:49 »

You're a bit behind the times: Fanfest has had an ingame analogue in the lore for a number of years. Around when we started getting ingame apparel for it, in fact. You should look up the "Starlet Scarlet" article on evelopedia.

As a roleplayer I'm struggling to see where there's a problem with this idea, honestly.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2015, 16:05 »

As a roleplayer I'm struggling to see where there's a problem with this idea, honestly.
Not that I have a problem with it, especially, but as an RPer who really isn't willing to commit the resources to travel to Iceland for a computer game... Price of entry is a bit steep, no?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2015, 16:36 »

There's a stream of most of the more interesting/critical information available, for free. You can also pay for your FF event tickets by PLEX if you happen to have the ISK or stockpile - which can save you a couple hundred dollars at least.

Not every capsuleer is going to be able to make the time in their schedule to go, or, for that matter, want to.

Price of entry isn't that big a deal. Pay for the stream or FF goodies if you can't go to the event itself. Get a shirt that's only handed out to attendees. Bam, you went.

(Unless you're a scrub who bought it off the market, in which case shame on you. :P )
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2015, 18:32 »

I'm not really seeing the problem with this at all.

Didn't go, probably can't go next year, can still participate in RP around it and use it as a hook for small talk with people ICly. 

Why anyone has an issue is a real head scratcher for me.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2015, 18:43 »

Yep. As an attendee, I'd be 100% fine if players didn't go to FF but who followed the news/stream/whatever played it as if they went. Otherwise, so far as I'm concerned, it's just sort of a fun thing from the RP perspective. Mak's interested in advanced technology, the Sleepers, Drifters, etc. Oh, FF was an SOCT symposium on them? Awesome! Random RP event had, and all the OOC chatter had with Morlag, CAIN guys, Bataav, etc, now has grounds for IC use if we feel like it.

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2015, 18:58 »

I think that might be what Lyn refers to though as being the problem: your interactions around and inspired by FF are a result of your OOC connection with a player, and have the potential to ignore IC reasoning or logic - at least that is how I am reading their concern, I could be wildly off the mark. :)

Personally I am not sure yet where I fall on the issue (if it is conceived of as I have inferred), so will be interested in seeing this discussion. :)

Makoto Priano

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2015, 19:03 »

In which case, that's our bad roleplaying. Any other player is free to accept or ignore it as they like, as is always the case with RP. ;)

Valadeus

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2015, 19:14 »

Personally...

I sent a private message to the individual(s) in question, thanking them for their interest in RP and introducing OOC self. I then went on to offer some advice, answer some basic questions and encourage them to not get discouraged or disheartened if it takes some getting used to.

As an experienced role-player, I'd rather offer advice and assistance to those wanting to join the activity than storm away frustrated or angry because I don't think they're very good at it or "they'redoinitwrong."

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2015, 19:21 »

Personally...

I sent a private message to the individual(s) in question, thanking them for their interest in RP and introducing OOC self. I then went on to offer some advice, answer some basic questions and encourage them to not get discouraged or disheartened if it takes some getting used to.

As an experienced role-player, I'd rather offer advice and assistance to those wanting to join the activity than storm away frustrated or angry because I don't think they're very good at it or "they'redoinitwrong."

I think this is always the best response, and certainly how I have approached similar situations in my previous RP experience outside EVE. :)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2015, 19:32 »

Honestly, I think the first Fanfest was the only one not to have this going on...

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: [1] 2