Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That each of the five empires technically has an equal say in all CONCORD matters? Read more in the Chronicle.

Author Topic: Caldari and the Khanid Kingdom  (Read 4491 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Caldari and the Khanid Kingdom
« on: 15 Jun 2010, 11:59 »

In this post Jakiin brought up something interesting: The degree to which Caldari culture might have started to disseminate into certain parts of the Khanid Kingdom.

I could see it being particularly noticeable in corporate setting, where measures might be taken to integrate some aspects of corporate culture with the expectations of Caldari investors and executives?

I could see there being a lot of potential for culture clash as well.

What do you think?

Also, I know I saw it somewhere, but what were the Caldari corporations with major investment in the Kingdom? I know Lai Dai is one.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
Re: Caldari and the Khanid Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2010, 12:28 »

Lai Dai has the most investment, since they helped start Khanid Innovations.  There was that story recently about Modern Finances (NOH subsidiary) buying part of a major Khanid financial corporation with KI as well.  Other than that, I don't know that there have been too many mentioned specifically, but I'd guess that Ishukone and CBD at the very least also have ties there (KK is another good bet).  A quick look through a list of systems in Khanid with stations doesn't find any that aren't Khanid nationals or CONCORD stations, though.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2010, 16:40 »

A quick look through a list of systems in Khanid with stations doesn't find any that aren't Khanid nationals or CONCORD stations, though.

There arent any as far as I know. At least not in all the Khanid systems I've been through. Mostly RKN stations and CONCORD stations, and thats about it.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Koronakesh

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2010, 19:51 »

Caldari-owned Share Breakdowns:
Khanid Innovations is 30% Lai Dai, has Caldari CFO (Ahtamaa Visken), Chief Archivist (Ake Wagas), and Chief Researcher (Ohulainen Pesabato).

Khanid Transport is 25% Kaalakiota  / 20% Ytiri [Effective 45% ownership by KK, due to KK's majority ownership of Ytiri], has no Caldari on its board.

Khanid Works is 25% Perkone and has Caldari CFO (Vinkuski Tekkinashi), Market Manager (Kalvas Vuotikiura)  and Manufacturing Assembly Manager (Egino Aranata)

Given the ownership breakdowns, director profile, and general cultural confluence that the Kingdom is, I'd say a significant integration is perfectly logical, at least in the upper corporate echelon.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2010, 21:01 »

Recent Khanid News.

- KI and MF buy stake in Samarkand Financial
- Wiyrkomi won a significant contract with Khanid Transport
- CBD accuses Ishukone of Unfair Competition in Khanid Kingdom

Looks like 5/8 the megas are in the mix based on that quick search (Lai Dai & KK being invested in various Khanid entities).

Conjecture - The Megas' assets in the Kingdom are beyond Heth's strategic partnership control.  The Kingdom as a market allows the megas to continue to do projects without Heth's stamp of approval.

Vieve

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2010, 22:23 »

Conjecture - The Megas' assets in the Kingdom are beyond Heth's strategic partnership control.  The Kingdom as a market allows the megas to continue to do projects without Heth's stamp of approval.

I've always assumed that the involved Caldari megas have run the research projects (and Alpha trials and Beta testing) they most want to keep out of shareholders' eyes in the Kingdom. 

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2010, 04:34 »

It sounds like a reasonable idea to me Vieve.

I think of the Kingdom alot like the Empire in the actual base essence of its culture, but with a different corporate structure - as can be assumed from the large Corporate-Caldari influence.

As to how and to what extent the Cultures merge I am not sure, although it would be interesting to see if there was a "Hybrid" language that has developed, a kind of Caldanese/Amarrian style which would be interesting to see.

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2010, 07:52 »

I think of the Kingdom alot like the Empire in the actual base essence of its culture, but with a different corporate structure - as can be assumed from the large Corporate-Caldari influence.
I think that very much depends on how you, the Kingdom's players, want to portray yourselves.  The Kingdom can either be a vassal state of the Empire or it can be portrayed as a rising power in its own right.

At the moment, CCP has indicated the King is becoming close again with the Empire.  This is however not necessarily in the best interest of the Caldari-Khanid interest.  Politically, the Caldari will be supporting competition between the Empire's largely House owned Amarr corporations and the partially Caldari owned Khanid corporations.  There is inherently a conflict between increased independence for the Kingdom and the opportunities it brings and the traditions and message of the Amarrian faith.

The Amarr are portrayed as religion being integral to their daily lives and routines, I think we can argue it is not as large a part of a Khanid's daily life.

For example, while a "devout" Amarrian subject may attend Mass daily and a daily prayer with the local clergy, a "devout" Khanid subject may only attend Mass once per week and occasional also stops by the Chapel for prayer.

Based on the symbols chronicle,  King Khanid II specifically put the affairs of Man before the affairs of God.  This concept can be made central to what it means to be Khanid.   While the Amarrian faith is part of your character, it is a guide, not a necessarily the rulebook.

Koronakesh

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2010, 13:40 »

Politically, the Caldari will be supporting competition between the Empire's largely House owned Amarr corporations and the partially Caldari owned Khanid corporations.

There are only 3 Amarr corporations (publically) owned in part by Heir families (excluding the families themselves), these being: Further Foodstuffs, Amarr Trade Registry and HZO Refinery. None of which are competitors of Khanid corporations. Additionally, Khanid corporations have been making headway in a position of control in the Kor-Azor region, as bidding of reconstruction contracts gets concluded.

And to argue the variances in the devotion between the two, the Khanid as a people are frequently much more so than their True Amarrian superiors and have a history of extremely fanatic sects.

As for the symbol: King Khanid made his Royal Seal the direct inverse of the Imperial Seal as a slap in the face to the authority he was rebelling against, and more specifically as a direct challenge to the Council. It states in a single image that no man's authority on theological interpretation is greater than any other's. To say it puts Man's law above God's is speculation, since Khanid's never elaborated precisely on the purpose.

Interestingly, given the color of the Royal Seal, it can also be interpreted to mean the following: When Man refuses the Divine, all becomes dark.

14   The emperor saw that all was not good and summoned the sefrim and said unto them, The people are in great distress, what remedies doest thee have?

15   And the sefrim answered, My Lord, the land has split against thou, thou must make war upon thy enemies to reclaim what is justly thine.

16   And the emperor asked, Will thee aid us in this perilous endeavor?

17   But the sefrim answered, No my Lord, we are here only to guide and guard, it is forbidden to us to aggress upon any man.

18   Then be gone! The emperor said in anger, for his foes were formidable.

19   And the sefrim, not longer in the emperor’s favor returned to from whence they came that very day. And the moment they left the sun went black and people cried in anguish for this was an evil omen.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2010, 13:42 by Koronakesh »

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2010, 13:58 »

Uhm....I'm pretty sure that's not right, Koronakesh.  House Sarum has a significant stake in Carthum, for instance -- at least, they did a while ago...

Koronakesh

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2010, 14:14 »

Carthum/Viziam  do have public heir ownership, yes, but Carthum's also got a chunk of Lai Dai ownership, so co-op between it and Khanid corps isn't going to be opposed. Viziam is Carthum-backed, in its infancy at least, so I doubt it's circumstances are going to vary. Depends on which Mega is trying to expand its influence, I suppose.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2010, 15:59 »

On Imperial Amarr megacorps:

Amarr Constructions: See Imperial Constructions
Carthum Conglomerate: 35 % Sarum, 20 % Zoar (via Ducia), 45 % unknown
Ducia: 80 % Zoar, rest unknown (essentially controlled by Zoar). Risk taker, known to mine in null.
Further Foodstuffs: Privately owned (by Ardishapur and Sarum)
HZO Refinery: 51 % unknown, 35 % Nefantar Mining Association, 14 % Sarum (so essentially Ardishapur and Sarum have a large stake, though Zoar has almost as much influence as Sarum - they control Ducia, which has a large stake of NMA)
Imperial Armaments: 15 % owned by the Empire (via the Chancellor), rest unknown. Largest weapon manufacturer in the cluster. (So yes, larger than KK.)
Imperial Constructions: 15 % owned by the Empire (via the Chancellor), 55 % majority stake self-owned, rest unknown (30 %)
Imperial Shipment: 91 % Unknown, 9 % Imperial Armaments (assumed to be controlled by the Emperor)
Inherent Implants: 18 % controlled by the Emperor (via the Chamberlain), rest unknown. The #1 corp in implants in the cluster (possibly add "outside the Nation", though of course their capsuleer implant line isn't the most competitive one if we forget "fluff implants")
Joint Harvesting: Privately held, owners unknown - possibly the agricultural & mining companies that form the Joint Harvesting. Largest Amarr industrial corporation, though Zoar-Ducia is almost as large.
Noble Appliances: A gigantic mess. 55 % unknown, 25 % directly to the Empire (via Chancellor), rest 40 % various via Royal Amarr Institute (incl. some more Empire, Lai Dai, Sarum and Zoar)
Nurtura: Privately held. A major exporter.
Viziam: 51 % privately held (by self), 30 % Ardishapur, 19 % Imperial Shipment (Emperor & various)
Zoar & Sons: 60 % controlling stake owned by Zoar family. 35 % stake by Lai Dai, rest 5 % unknown. Historically used to be larger. Controls Ducia Foundry, has stakes in Khanid Innovation and Nefantar Mining Association. Together with Zoar competes with Joint Harvesting in size (but is less focused on resource gathering).

For other effects, would need to check where the stations are located - though Zoar, at least, has influence all over the Empire.

For comparative size, Joint Harvesting and Zoar-Ducia do both dwarf such corporations as Lai Dai and Wiyrkomi (even when the corporate police and subsidiaries are calculated in). For size comparison, I used the amount of stations, though that estimate may be very flawed. (Based on the amount of stations controlled directly and by subsidiaries, Hyasyoda is pretty damn huge, for example.)

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2010, 13:53 »

And to argue the variances in the devotion between the two, the Khanid as a people are frequently much more so than their True Amarrian superiors and have a history of extremely fanatic sects.

As for the symbol: King Khanid made his Royal Seal the direct inverse of the Imperial Seal as a slap in the face to the authority he was rebelling against, and more specifically as a direct challenge to the Council. It states in a single image that no man's authority on theological interpretation is greater than any other's. To say it puts Man's law above God's is speculation, since Khanid's never elaborated precisely on the purpose.

Interestingly, given the color of the Royal Seal, it can also be interpreted to mean the following: When Man refuses the Divine, all becomes dark.

I'll comment on the rest, at some point, in detail, but first I'd like to address this: It was my interpretation that the first symbol meant K2 was above theological law, the second symbol would mean that he was above God - that God was no longer his master, or that he rose above the rules God set down. The third symbol would be man and God becoming one, except with man on top rather than God.

In other words: "First I shall rise above the law of the Council, then I shall rise above the law of God, and then I shall become like God."

Delightful.