Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Myrhial Arkenath was born and raised on Saisio III? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A fine Wine - Storyline mission for Gallente - omg  (Read 4558 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Quote from: mission briefing
A Fine Wine

Do you read the gossip rags? I wouldn't expect you to; you capsuleers obviously have greater concerns than who's mocking whom this week. The big news right now is this wedding being planned by Ahvir en Foilien, the former co-star of Under Wraps. He's not been heard from since he got canned as the host of the Sugar Sweep game show, but now he's caused a ruckus by arranging a marriage to the daughter of Material Acquisition bigwig Hemy Selvah. A lot of money obviously changed hands to manage this, since Selvah's daughter isn't quite ten years old, and en Foilien already has a wife, a husband and a few playmates on the side.

If you believe what the tabloids say, that is. Who knows what the truth might be?

En Foilien has arranged a lavish party on Alillere VI - Moon 3 - Caldari Business Tribunal Bureau Offices which is undoubtedly meant to encourage the public and the reporters to overlook the dodgy circumstances and remind them that he used to be important. It doesn't really matter. He's ordered several crates of Feille d'Marnne champagne to loosen them up and assist with the memory loss.

omgwat

also, random mission destination location is lol, for other reasons.

Quote from: additional mission info
The Entertainment Gambit

Nobody loves a good party more than the Gallente. The hedonistic stereotype is one that the Federation revels in and flaunts shamelessly. Public figures actively compete to host the wildest and most fashionable affairs, vying for the attention of news services and gossip magazines. Among the celebrity elite, a wedding, birth or even a funeral is simply another excuse to splash out and stand in the limelight. Occasionally, an event will be engineered so a falling star can make a desperate final grasp at publicity and salvage a faded career.

Quote from: champagne info
This champagne originates from Egghelende III, the planet's major product for export. Shipping it out of the pirate-heavy system makes it pricey enough, but the grapes have proven impossible to cultivate anywhere else in the Federation.

Each case is worth a couple hundred thousand ISK. Each bottle would bring enough planetary cred for a civilian to live comfortably for a year or ten. A bottle or three would definitely be missed.

also, polygamy.

Quote from: mission debrief
Thank you, Evelyn Valate. That party isn't one the glitterati will soon forget; Selvah's daughter threw her entire glass of champagne in en Foilien's face and called him some very unflattering schoolyard names. Of course it was all caught on camera, and the media is having a field day.

I just don't see why they had to throw it in, that the girl is 10.
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2015, 03:54 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Lyn Farel

Re: A fine Wine - Storyline mission for Gallente - omg
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2015, 03:59 »

Because :polanski: ?

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:21 »

Quote from: mission briefing
A Fine Wine

Do you read the gossip rags? I wouldn't expect you to; you capsuleers obviously have greater concerns than who's mocking whom this week. The big news right now is this wedding being planned by Ahvir en Foilien, the former co-star of Under Wraps. He's not been heard from since he got canned as the host of the Sugar Sweep game show, but now he's caused a ruckus by arranging a marriage to the daughter of Material Acquisition bigwig Hemy Selvah. A lot of money obviously changed hands to manage this, since Selvah's daughter isn't quite ten years old, and en Foilien already has a wife, a husband and a few playmates on the side.

If you believe what the tabloids say, that is. Who knows what the truth might be?

En Foilien has arranged a lavish party on Alillere VI - Moon 3 - Caldari Business Tribunal Bureau Offices which is undoubtedly meant to encourage the public and the reporters to overlook the dodgy circumstances and remind them that he used to be important. It doesn't really matter. He's ordered several crates of Feille d'Marnne champagne to loosen them up and assist with the memory loss.

omgwat

also, random mission destination location is lol, for other reasons.

Quote from: additional mission info
The Entertainment Gambit

Nobody loves a good party more than the Gallente. The hedonistic stereotype is one that the Federation revels in and flaunts shamelessly. Public figures actively compete to host the wildest and most fashionable affairs, vying for the attention of news services and gossip magazines. Among the celebrity elite, a wedding, birth or even a funeral is simply another excuse to splash out and stand in the limelight. Occasionally, an event will be engineered so a falling star can make a desperate final grasp at publicity and salvage a faded career.

Quote from: champagne info
This champagne originates from Egghelende III, the planet's major product for export. Shipping it out of the pirate-heavy system makes it pricey enough, but the grapes have proven impossible to cultivate anywhere else in the Federation.

Each case is worth a couple hundred thousand ISK. Each bottle would bring enough planetary cred for a civilian to live comfortably for a year or ten. A bottle or three would definitely be missed.

also, polygamy.

Quote from: mission debrief
Thank you, Evelyn Valate. That party isn't one the glitterati will soon forget; Selvah's daughter threw her entire glass of champagne in en Foilien's face and called him some very unflattering schoolyard names. Of course it was all caught on camera, and the media is having a field day.

Man, Fed society is really messed up.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:51 »

Man, Fed society is really messed up.

Question, answered.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2015, 07:19 »

In all seriousness though, I guess they had to throw the age maybe to offer a counterbalance to arranged marriages and the likes with newborn babies, like one could expect it in amarr society.

Except here with pedo insinuations as a bonus to make an echo with the gallente epic arc.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2015, 07:21 »

Extra distastefulness

Ashley

• Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2015, 14:13 »

o.O cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2015, 14:36 »

I'm a bit surprised people are reacting so strongly to this. It's not that uncommon today.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2015, 14:59 »

I'm a bit surprised people are reacting so strongly to this. It's not that uncommon today.
It's very much contrary to most of our home nations' norms, and has been for generations. It's one of those things that makes even those of us who kinda want to stay out of other cultures' business squirm uncomfortably.

Visiting Uganda a few years back was both an amazing experience and a real challenge for my anti-colonial sentiments. While Ugandans are not big into "female circumcision," a euphemism if ever there was one, the proper way for a woman, there, to greet her husband is on her knees.

It's hard for my poor egalitarian soul to take.

It looks like this storyline isn't all just business as usual in the Federation, either, of course.
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2015, 15:01 by Aria Jenneth »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2015, 15:11 »

Sure, it's not a particularly western way of doing things. Still child marriages are common enough as to not raise too many eyebrows in and around the Indian subcontinent, and in some parts of Africa and the Middle east. Just because they get married doesn't always mean anything happens until they are of a more appropriate (re: biologically practical) age.

Large parts of Western history also contain references to various princes and princesses being married off at extremely young ages; much younger than 10.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2015, 15:20 »

Sure, it's not a particularly western way of doing things. Still child marriages are common enough as to not raise too many eyebrows in and around the Indian subcontinent, and in some parts of Africa and the Middle east. Just because they get married doesn't always mean anything happens until they are of a more appropriate (re: biologically practical) age.

Large parts of Western history also contain references to various princes and princesses being married off at extremely young ages; much younger than 10.
Yes. Still hits us in the squeamish bits.

One of the more significant tests for members of my profession is handling our first child molestation case. I haven't had mine yet, but I had a college friend who became a former defense attorney after his.

It's a serious test of our ability to put aside society's (premature) judgment, and a good measure of the sheer volume of moral outrage the whole topic inspires.

It's also one of the few areas where a bench trial (trying it to a judge only) is often better than trying to a jury. Judges tend to be jaded and skeptical of defendants' stories, but a jury will want to murder your client the instant they learn what the charge is.
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2015, 15:29 by Aria Jenneth »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2015, 15:29 »

because, without the mention of the girls age, it's just a "those wacky Gallente" story, about celebrity parties and polygamy and infidelity and the other things that make the other cultures go :| at the Gallente. Subjectively morally wrong, from the other characters point of view.

with the mention of the girls age, it becomes "the Gallente are objectively morally corrupt", from the player's point of view.

that one little snippet, ruins everything.
\o/

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2015, 15:41 »

because, without the mention of the girls age, it's just a "those wacky Gallente" story, about celebrity parties and polygamy and infidelity and the other things that make the other cultures go :| at the Gallente. Subjectively morally wrong, from the other characters point of view.

with the mention of the girls age, it becomes "the Gallente are objectively morally corrupt", from the player's point of view.

Eeeeeeeeh.

My read's more nuanced.

The wedding's clearly scandalous in mainstream Gallentean eyes; hence the media angle. The fact that it's legal is probably a reflection of just how multicultural the Federation is. The conclusion also indirectly implies that the wedding's off, or shortly will be, and seems to be designed to leave the player with a, "Well, that's okay, then," feeling. Mixed feelings on whether it works.

Still, it's a good example of, "This is not exactly the United States, people."

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2015, 15:46 »

Well, they have been doing it for every other faction.

Starting with global scale genocidal and breeding slavery.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2015, 16:48 »

Random thought of the moment : remember those news pieces about the gallente dudes disguising into fedos and doing sex maniac thingies ? What if the gallente equivalent of our pedobear is actually fedobear ?

Ok, i'm out...  :arrow:
Pages: [1] 2