Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 1st Praetorian Guard is an Amarrian Imperial Navy-affiliated Special Operations unit? Read more here

Author Topic: Recent events, the Enheduanni, and Minmatar spirituality.  (Read 2425 times)

Nissui

Perhaps that title is misleading, because I'm not at all versed in the EVE novels, and have only recently run a few scans through Theodicy.

I'm trying to throw together a short Nis-fiction relating to recent in-game events, and in my preliminary searches I have not hit paydirt on the Minmatar view of and relationship to the Jove who, in some capacity, acted as benefactors during the rebellion.

I'm wondering if anyone could point me to any PF I have missed on this topic. Are the Minmatar at large aware of the Jovian involvement? Are the Jove revered/reviled/what have you? What of any spiritual significance assigned to the intercession or interference of these eerie beings?

Thanks once again for your time and consideration.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

I haven't seen any PF that suggests that the Matari know about Jovian involvement. The only thing that smells like Jovian would be the Elders, but the Matari are largely ignorant about their existence or of the existence of Project Skymother (Templar One).

Also, in regards to the Matari spirituality, there's something I'm curious about. What sort of belief system do the Matari actually practice? I thought it might be animism what with the story about the rock, but it could also be goddess worship what with Matar and Pator. I really like to know if there is any conceivable way a Matari might belief that a machine has a soul and treat it as if it were a living, breathing being, and if this is a common practice.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Lyn Farel

There is a wiki article on Sebiestor religion.

Arkon Sarain

• Egger

There's also a cool bit about clones and the Sebiestor (possibly broader Minmatar) faith: https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Vuld_Haupt. :D

I mean... there is only one faith and Amarr Victor and all that :lol:

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

Correct me if I'm wrong but does this mean Sebiestor primary belief system revolves around ancestor worship?

Nissui

Thank you for these responses. It stands to reason that, while there may have been numerous examples of the 'Other' as a metaphysical bogeyman contained within the spiritual teachings of the tribes, by the time the Jove were encountered the Minmatar were of course a space-faring race with their traditions well ingrained. If there were some spooky beings of old tribal mythology, foisting their names on the Jove would be unlikely to stick, I think, at least for many generations.

The profile Arkon linked seems to suggest that at least Sebbie spirituality has a sort of universalist angle, where reason and religion will, over time, seek to merge into a single system of belief. As an extension of that, it does not seem unreasonable to me that some Sebiestor feel that their mechanical creations would also be imbued with some faint whiff of animus. If anything, such an item could be viewed as a physical totem of the concept of the merger espoused by Vuld Haupt.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2015, 10:21 by Nissui »

Lyn Farel

The old chronicle (which I don't remember the name :/) about the journey the Matari take before becoming full fledged adults, iirc, had strong shamanic vibes with spirits and stuff.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

The old chronicle (which I don't remember the name :/) about the journey the Matari take before becoming full fledged adults, iirc, had strong shamanic vibes with spirits and stuff.

the one about Karin Midular ?
\o/

Lyn Farel

No, I don't think so. The one about Midular is just her Voluval.

Another one about a perilous journey a Matari takes or something ? Can't find it back...

Nissui

Tangentially related:

The Methods of Torture

It includes drug-induced spiritquesting, a reference to Yetamo (also worth a reread, probably), and some dark imagery.

I've gone through about 40 chronicles so far, and am kind of picking through a long chatsubo thread on the subject for direction.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
Re: Recent events, the Enheduanni, and Minmatar spirituality.
« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2015, 16:50 »

Possibly relevant is the resemblance of the Minmatar national symbol to symbols used by the RL World Pantheist Movement. See about halfway down this Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism

On the other hand that might just be coincidence.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2015, 17:47 »

Tangentially related:

The Methods of Torture

It includes drug-induced spiritquesting, a reference to Yetamo (also worth a reread, probably), and some dark imagery.

I've gone through about 40 chronicles so far, and am kind of picking through a long chatsubo thread on the subject for direction.

Maybe I confused it with that one actually.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:23 »

Tangentially related:

The Methods of Torture

The whole spirit world and spirit journey thing sounds heavily Native American-inspired. I'm going to go read up on their belief system to make sense of things and see how to co-opt into my character behaviour.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2015, 07:17 »

Yes that's what I had in mind but now i'm not sure... Can't find anything in lore that is close to that or shamans... :/

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 03 Mar 2015, 02:33 »

Tangentially related:

The Methods of Torture

The whole spirit world and spirit journey thing sounds heavily Native American-inspired. I'm going to go read up on their belief system to make sense of things and see how to co-opt into my character behaviour.

I've found a lot of Sami/northern Siberian connections with it - the concept of dual spirit, ancestor worship, rituals involving singing or drumming, animal and spirit messengers. Neat stuff.