Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kiaor was a notable Minmatar historical figure attributed with saying, "Those whom you hate so fervently, you must have once loved so deeply."

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Endless Forest  (Read 6219 times)

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
Re: The Endless Forest
« Reply #30 on: 22 Jun 2010, 00:25 »

Basically, everything you're saying amounts to "Griefers are doinitrite and people who react are doinitrong". Assholes and people who ruin other people's online time are people we should like, and people who don't somehow deserve what they get.

Well, no, that's a horrid misrepresentation. What I'm saying is it's a game, and people who have fun with it are doing it right (or "doinitrite" I suppose), and those who don't, aren't. Pretty much as simple as that.

Your view on online interaction appalls and disgusts me. I'm sorry, but that's just how it is.

What, exactly, about it does so? I ask because most of my references of comedy were entirely unrelated to online.

Secondly, it's not a 'joke'.

Yes, it really is.

It's not 'trying to make a funny'.

Sure is.

It's griefing.

I would suggest that depends on perception. It's griefing if its things that affect you, it's funny if it's something you agree with.

Look, you even said it here:

You know, I fuckin' hate the Goons. They've ruined several roleplaying servers in various games I've played over the years through harassment, griefing and so on and so forth. In Eve... well, I still hate them, but that's bleed-through hate from those other MMOs. In Eve they can't really grief or harass, since it's all valid and intended gameplay, since this game isn't divided into RP and other realms.

In this, though? I... for the first time in my life... loved them.
Wonderful and accurate review.

I simply extended that perception that even when I'm the brunt of it, it's still funny to me. That would be the only difference.

It's intentionally going out to make someone else miserable, and finding enjoyment in that. That's not humor... that's sadism.

Uhm. That is most comedy.

You're neglecting the fact that if people play along without freaking out they will still continue. I know this from personal experience.

That there's people who find it funny doesn't for one split second make it anything other than sadism, and cruelty.

Your concept of "sadism" and "cruelty" are much tamer than mine, apparently. I would suggest someone would need to actually be harmed for them to qualify, oddly, so does Miriam Webster.

So if you could get away with it, you'd go around giving random people on the street wedgies, dump water then flour on them, paint their cars five shades of puke green and 'I'm a rapist!' on the side? It'd be funny, wouldn't it?

In order: Yes and people have been paid big money to have tv shows where they do it, Same answer, and has absolutely no comparison as the last one actually causes harm so can't really be related in this context.

Same logic. People'd find it funny, and if done 'creatively' enough, it'd be 'funny douchebaggery'.

Hardly the same logic, as stated above people are actually harmed in the last one, the first two are in fact things that would be funny, and through a cursory search of both the internet and your local television channels, you can find such things happening.

I don't see why it being online somehow gives immunity from common bloody decency, unless the very framework of the online interaction is built around such mechanics (like Eve).

First off, you're conflating terms here. "Common Decency" is not the same as "Leave me alone". There is nothing indecent about being disruptive. If we're sitting in a restraunt and someone runs through screaming for no apparent reason then runs back out there door, there was nothing about their actions that breaks common decency. Showing some common decency does not mean that people will cater to your wants.

That said: The reason there is a buffer is because it's a fucking video game. This is not something important. This is something people do to waste time. This is not someone working on some Cancer Research or some shit, or trying to save a life. This is a bunch of pixels on a screen where you sit in a little Skinner Box pulling levers all day.

Sorry. Commend douchebags, twats, assholes and just plain fucktards all you want. Doesn't make it any less vile, cruel and disgusting when viewed from any perspective involving common courtesy, decency and common sense.

Well, no, see here you go conflating again. Let me correct your statement:

It doesn't make it any less vile, cruel, and disgusting when viewed from your perspective.

The rest of that doesn't apply.
Pages: 1 2 [3]