Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that "Operation Trinity Vanguard" was the code name for the defense of the Incursions in Anyed, Antem and Imya. The Anti-Incursion fleets contisted over 800 pilots from CVA, KotMC, Moira., Star Fraction, FCORD, SYNE Coalition and countless other corps and alliances.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Endless Forest  (Read 6220 times)

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
Re: The Endless Forest
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2010, 14:48 »

I was thinking of starting a "gang of deer." All up in the graveyard owning territory and shit.

They see us herdin'...

...they hatin'.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2010, 19:14 »

Yeah, I'm not usually a fan of Goons, but the somethingaweful review of this game was... quite amusing.

I love the Goons. They're incredibly creative, hilarious people. The fact that they're all a bunch of douchebags really just adds to the hilariousness, because they're not just douchebags for the sake of being douchebags, they're creative and hilarious douchebags, because it's funny.

That's always a win with me.

Also, they love Dwarf Fortress. Anyone who loves Dwarf Fortress is totally cool in my book.

Goons 4tw.

((None of this is insults, it is praise, please do not snip :P ))

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2010, 14:47 »

What the fucking fuck, Izzy pulled another one out of some kind of digital sewer and it might be shiney.

Also, Izzy, you're a furry.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2010, 10:17 »

They see us herdin'...

...they hatin'.

I snorted all over my nice, freshly-cleaned keyboard when I read this.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2010, 12:16 »

Anyone feel like linking that SA Review of the game?  :)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2010, 12:36 »

I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #21 on: 20 Jun 2010, 05:09 »

* Mizhara blinks.

You know, I fuckin' hate the Goons. They've ruined several roleplaying servers in various games I've played over the years through harassment, griefing and so on and so forth. In Eve... well, I still hate them, but that's bleed-through hate from those other MMOs. In Eve they can't really grief or harass, since it's all valid and intended gameplay, since this game isn't divided into RP and other realms.

In this, though? I... for the first time in my life... loved them.
Wonderful and accurate review.

Now, I'm going to go apply a drill to the temple to get rid of the horror of that so called 'game'.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jun 2010, 22:59 »

I love the Goons. They're creative, they're hilarious, they're douchebags, but they're creative and funny douchebags, so it's ok in my book.

Also, they can only "ruin" a server if people let them. They're pretty easy to ignore, and like any people trying to grief someone, if you ignore them, they really do go away; or at the very least go after more interesting targets.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jun 2010, 23:37 »

I love the Goons. They're creative, they're hilarious, they're douchebags, but they're creative and funny douchebags, so it's ok in my book.

Mhm. It's okay to be an asshole, as long as your farts sound funny like a trumpet. It's okay to be make other people's lives miserable, as long as you're funny when you do it? That's just ridiculous.

Also, they can only "ruin" a server if people let them. They're pretty easy to ignore, and like any people trying to grief someone, if you ignore them, they really do go away; or at the very least go after more interesting targets.

Actually, that doesn't quite work. If the game had hinged purely on my own actions in the game, sure. It'd never have mattered. I ignored bullies in school (or bullied back, depending on the gap in size/age), and it worked like a charm. I ignore griefers in a game, and it works like a charm... but do you really expect an entire server to ignore griefing? Doesn't work. No way that you'll get an entire server to do it. And thus, a semi-large part of the server in question gets affected, which these asstards thinks is funny, and thus they keep it up.

I still don't see how you can defend it as 'funny' when it's ruined the gametime of so many people across the world, for no better reason than that assholes decide to make other people's online time as miserable as they can 'for teh lulz'.

And it's especially intrusive on roleplaying servers, where game-mechanics and RP does not go hand in hand. Like I said, in Eve, I don't mind. Game-mechanics, 'griefing' and RP goes hand in hand. Very hard to grief in Eve, or at least every player in Eve signed over money to CCP saying 'please grief me'. In other games... doesn't work that way.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:48 »

Mhm. It's okay to be an asshole, as long as your farts sound funny like a trumpet. It's okay to be make other people's lives miserable, as long as you're funny when you do it? That's just ridiculous.

Something like that. Douchebaggery for the sake of douchebaggery is rude, but when it's not intended just to be a douchebag and is being done for a joke it's definitely on a different level.

It's hardly ridiculous, it's fairly typical of human behavior. It's ok to insult people as long as you're funny when you do it, isn't it? I would suggest that such banter is typical of people. It's the core of comedy.

Someone has to be the brunt of a joke.

Actually, that doesn't quite work. If the game had hinged purely on my own actions in the game, sure. It'd never have mattered. I ignored bullies in school (or bullied back, depending on the gap in size/age), and it worked like a charm. I ignore griefers in a game, and it works like a charm... but do you really expect an entire server to ignore griefing? Doesn't work. No way that you'll get an entire server to do it. And thus, a semi-large part of the server in question gets affected, which these asstards thinks is funny, and thus they keep it up.

Except even in such a way they can't ruin a server. Their actions are a catalyst, nothing more. The server is ruined by how people react. Now you could then argue that without the Goons' antics the people wouldn't commit to such actions, however it happens all the time. Roleplaying servers with or without griefers are notoriously unstable due to the rather higher-than-average number of Drama Llamas that end up on said servers.

They fall apart with or without the Goons' involvement. It just happens faster when the Goons are around.

I still don't see how you can defend it as 'funny' when it's ruined the gametime of so many people across the world, for no better reason than that assholes decide to make other people's online time as miserable as they can 'for teh lulz'.

Well, in part because this isn't real life. This is a game. I've had them ruin my intended fun on more than one occasion, and it was still fun, because they made me laugh. The core of comedy is derision. It has always been that way and it always will be. Even "knock knock" jokes are making fun of the person you're telling them to by leading them into a trap.

No one is really strongly affected by Goon antics. They aren't beating people up, ruining their lives, or torturing their pets. They're making some jokes at the world's expense.

So what? We pay people to do that every single day that oft say things that make the Goons' antics pale in comparison, and we laugh our asses off at it.

It's interesting to me how some people take offense when they are the butt of the joke, but it's totally cool when it's other people.

And it's especially intrusive on roleplaying servers, where game-mechanics and RP does not go hand in hand. Like I said, in Eve, I don't mind. Game-mechanics, 'griefing' and RP goes hand in hand. Very hard to grief in Eve, or at least every player in Eve signed over money to CCP saying 'please grief me'. In other games... doesn't work that way.

If the game-mechanics do not go hand in hand with the RP, then I would suggest the RP needs to be refined so that it fits within the world it is taking place in.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 21 Jun 2010, 14:11 »

Basically, everything you're saying amounts to "Griefers are doinitrite and people who react are doinitrong". Assholes and people who ruin other people's online time are people we should like, and people who don't somehow deserve what they get. Your view on online interaction appalls and disgusts me. I'm sorry, but that's just how it is.

Secondly, it's not a 'joke'. It's not 'trying to make a funny'. It's griefing. It's intentionally going out to make someone else miserable, and finding enjoyment in that. That's not humor... that's sadism. That there's people who find it funny doesn't for one split second make it anything other than sadism, and cruelty.

So if you could get away with it, you'd go around giving random people on the street wedgies, dump water then flour on them, paint their cars five shades of puke green and 'I'm a rapist!' on the side? It'd be funny, wouldn't it? Same logic. People'd find it funny, and if done 'creatively' enough, it'd be 'funny douchebaggery'.

I don't see why it being online somehow gives immunity from common bloody decency, unless the very framework of the online interaction is built around such mechanics (like Eve). Sorry. Commend douchebags, twats, assholes and just plain fucktards all you want. Doesn't make it any less vile, cruel and disgusting when viewed from any perspective involving common courtesy, decency and common sense.

Vikarion

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jun 2010, 16:07 »

Well, uh, not that I have a lot of opinions on this, but it seems that there's a bit of a remove between repainting people's cars and antagonizing people in an online game?

Also...this game seems somehow perverse. And I don't mean that sexually.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2010, 16:15 »

Interestingly enough, a thread came up on EVE-O Recently regarding intent behind actions  in game. Thought It might be relevant.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 21 Jun 2010, 16:42 »

Well, uh, not that I have a lot of opinions on this, but it seems that there's a bit of a remove between repainting people's cars and antagonizing people in an online game?

Also...this game seems somehow perverse. And I don't mean that sexually.

I know, I simply put it to a point. Where does the line get drawn? Why should online interactions suddenly make you less responsible for your behaviour? Why should other people and their views, desires and so on suddenly mean nothing, just because it's online?

Antagonizing people is still antagonizing people. The medium is irrelevant.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2010, 19:33 »

Holy thread derail batman.
Pages: 1 [2] 3