Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lutin lights are sometimes seen by ships approaching the Iyen-Oursta stargate. Many Minmatar slaves believe that seeing the lights means their firstborn son will be blessed with freedom. Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The problem with RP relationships such as marriages is that  (Read 4077 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

* Synthia unsubscribes
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

It's certainly one of the big problems with them.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."

Personally, I don't have Kor get involved in any relationships for a variety of reasons, both IC and OOC.

IC: He is a largely solitary character. He will likely stay as such for the foreseeable future. Furthermore, he feels he is too busy with his daily activities (being I-RED HR director for both capsuleer and baseliner employees, business meetings for companies he's invested in, paperwork, improving the quality of life for inhabitants of Black Rise, espionage against hostile forces, exterminating Guristas from the face of the cluster, and more paperwork) to get involved romantically with anyone...at least that is the excuse he uses.

OOC: I am really busy at this stage in my life. I would hate to have my character become involved too heavily with another person's character, and end up denying them the opportunity to interact due to my availability. Plus there is always the possibility of having someone end up quitting EVE, and then the other partner is left hanging. That's no fun.
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

So husbands and wives can't turn up missing? Huh, live and learn.

Lyn Farel

It is often best to speak a bit OOCly with the player unsubscribing on what happens. If it is the end of the relationship and why, or if the relationship continues but the character stops being a capsuleer, that kind of things.

I don't see it as a big issue.

Anyanka Funk

Synthia, you're unsubscribing?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

* Mizhara holds up a chart of the solar system, clearly indicating the position of the point in orbit overhead.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

Synthia, you're unsubscribing?

No.

It is merely an amusing way to sum up the problem with RP relationships.

Someone unsubscribes or other factors intervene, and the other party is left hanging.
More problematic if the other party is not someone you have RL contact with.

The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran

True.

Tried at one point to get my wife into Eve. She played Aria's cousin, Jihun Sujui (with both of us consequently gender-bending). Sadly, the game didn't grab her, which didn't end up half as awkward as it would have been had the plotline been more ... intimately personal.

Sure, people disappear, but just when you've made the IC commitment to several months of your character angsting over their lover's sudden vanishing, the lover resurfaces and isn't in on the joke.

"Hey, all. Sup?"

"Oh, gods, I thought you were dead!"

"... Dead? I was just using the loo."

It gets more potentially awkward if you've started up a new relationship in the meantime and your "ex" is playing it that the absence was just, say, a vacation.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain

Both Mitara and I have stopped playing every now and then but this has never been a problem. Usually IC it is easily explained as them taking time off capsuleering with them serving as a background character until they pop up again. They don't even have to come back at all so long as you keep in touch with the player and confer with them on RP happenings.

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger

Aldrith's approach is very reasonable. It can also result in some nice angsty (I like angsty) character drama.

BTW, Aria, you're posting here. Does that mean you're coming back to EVE? Please say "yes".  :D

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."

They certainly can. I have no interest in doing that sort of RP, however.

Lyn Farel

I think a lot of have done so... Like the Kat and others as well. And it seems to have provided good drama RP.

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger

They certainly can. I have no interest in doing that sort of RP, however.

I think this is definitely one of those areas where it's a matter of personal taste.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."

Agreed, and more power to those that do. I'd rather focus the :drama: in my RP into other aspects though. :)
Pages: [1] 2