Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small colony hangars cannot have comprehensive hangar security systems due to the need to scramble forces quickly? (The Burning Life p. 78)

Author Topic: Non-Pod Pilots?  (Read 3164 times)

Shal Firestorm

Non-Pod Pilots?
« on: 11 Jun 2010, 22:37 »

Hey all, I've been kinda slowly getting into learning the important Eve lore and all (yea now I just need to do the whole 'actually roleplay thing) and I've been wondering, have there been any examples of pilots who DON'T use the hydrostatic capsule? I get the use of it and all, it makes a lot of sense but I was wondering if there was any official examples of a pilot who maybe just had his pod as an emergency, kinda something he could slam the big red button on to get dropped into it and ejected, rather then doing the whole 'spend the entire time in the big vat of clonejuice' thing.

Sorry if this has been asked before, just thought of it now and nothing jumped out at me as answering the question.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: Non-Pod Pilots?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2010, 22:45 »

There are standard starship captains (Normals as I call them) who pilot vessels the conventional way. There is no capsules involved in these ships, and the bridge (or command section) is sheared off from the ship and ejected upon destruction.

Outside of that, there are no ships equipped with the Capsule that are piloted from outside it. This is largely because the Capsule completely replaces all bridge functions. That implies it is literally impossible to command the ship without something inside the Capsule.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Shal Firestorm

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2010, 22:49 »

Well that's good to know, so basically it'd just be a matter of RPing podding as 'activating the escape pod'? Would there be any other things to keep in mind if I was to RP my guy as a 'normal' rather then a proper podder?

Ghost Hunter

• The Mods
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2010, 22:54 »

The problem is the Capsule wasn't designed as an escape pod. It was designed as a command module, a central nervous system. The process of getting in and out of a pod is a long, slow-but sure one that can't be done in seconds. Thus, when your ship is blown up in the game and it spawns that Capsule model, your RP will conflict with the game if you say its anything but.

Ergo, it will be better to keep the traditional roleplay of being in the goo-sack and substituting for a virtual reality or holographic image instead. This is a common by-pass for most roleplayers I've seen, the use of holo-grams to represent themselves in the physical world when they're in the Capsule.
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2010, 23:49 »

Eh, that the capsule is what PF says it is... well, that should go without saying. However, the 'oh, but that means you can NEVER leave it!' attitude doesn't strike me as even remotely enjoyable, RP-wise. Miz leaves the pod all the time. Rarely when I'm actually out in space doing anything, but when I can't be arsed undocking and just spin the ship in the station, Miz is often out and about, walking physically present in a number of locations.

That goes for all my characters, really.

While virtual reality is wholly accepted and used almost anywhere, barring a few locations that utterly denies the use of it or holoprojection, it's not the only way to stay within PF on the Capsuleer thing while still getting face to face roleplaying going.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2010, 00:12 »

I think Ghost and Miz are in agreement, actually. I don't think Ghost meant pilots never leave the pod, just that if you want to RP that you're doing something while piloting it's best to find a way - holographic projection or VR - that doesn't conflict with the fact that if your ship explodes, there the pod will be.

Ciarente is often out and about physically, as well, when she isn't flying. And sometimes (don't tell the purists) I 'doubletime', where Cia is 'out and about' in a station location while I am flying the ship as well. I figure, Cia is awake for a lot more hours of the day than I am in game: if I multitask her activities, that only adds up to a normally full day for her.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2010, 00:26 »

Well, sometimes things go... how should I put it... Miz can multitask once in a while too. Come on, no one actually expects you to stare at rocks for six hours and deny yourself RP because of that...

... do they?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2010, 00:27 »

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Stranded_Pilot

You see them every so often in a handful of missions.

But that guy isn't a capsuleer, which is important to keep in mind.
\o/

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2010, 01:06 »

Well, sometimes things go... how should I put it... Miz can multitask once in a while too. Come on, no one actually expects you to stare at rocks for six hours and deny yourself RP because of that...

... do they?

Some do, yes. I don't, though.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Jalenar Frost

• Clonejack
  • Green Meany
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2010, 13:04 »

There are standard starship captains (Normals as I call them) who pilot vessels the conventional way. There is no capsules involved in these ships, and the bridge (or command section) is sheared off from the ship and ejected upon destruction.

Outside of that, there are no ships equipped with the Capsule that are piloted from outside it. This is largely because the Capsule completely replaces all bridge functions. That implies it is literally impossible to command the ship without something inside the Capsule.

This would be incorrect if we assume ships in eve have the same standard redundancy of most large seafarring vessels today.  The bridges is not a single point of failure.  There are multiple Auxillery controls and emergency control points throughout large ships. 

I'm willing to make the assumption this is the case in most Eve based vessels too.  Makes no sense to have a ships that litterally may cost more than the GNP of some planets have a single point of failure (even if in actual gameplay, that is the case).
"The difference between a warrior and an ordinary man is that a warrior sees everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man sees everything as either a blessing or a curse.
-Don Juan; A Seperate Reality

Ghost Hunter

• The Mods
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2010, 13:34 »

This would be incorrect if we assume ships in eve have the same standard redundancy of most large seafarring vessels today.  The bridges is not a single point of failure.  There are multiple Auxillery controls and emergency control points throughout large ships.  

I'm willing to make the assumption this is the case in most Eve based vessels too.  Makes no sense to have a ships that litterally may cost more than the GNP of some planets have a single point of failure (even if in actual gameplay, that is the case).

Generally the actual bridge is somewhere deep in the ship and not hanging out like it usually appears to be. I am quoting The Burning Life in the above's regard though, the command bridge being sheared off.

That may be the case only in frigates, as is the novel's example, or it may be a uniform standard. It's not certain.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2010, 13:35 by Ghost Hunter »
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2010, 06:52 »

In the Burning Life and the "command section ejected" part, the ship in question was a frigate. Essentially, a heavy fighter designed for a crew you can count with your fingers. Larger ships would have command centers protected in the superstructure, with possibly some "bridge" or "conn tower" type structures. (For example, there's a clear window in the "deck" of the new Scorpion, right next to the rotating antenna.)

As for escape pods, technically you could RP that the capsule is some kind of an escape vehicle. However, that would also mean that if your pod is ever killed (as in, fighting another player), you're dead. Even that can be circumvented - don't update your clone, and you will wake up "with memory loss" from a backup clone taken the slow way a few days back. That could have some interesting effects, though I assume that RPing the memory loss would be quite a burden if you RP much, since you'd need to keep extensive notes on what all you have forgotten and should not reference. Even this might be circumvented by the character having a recording implant that gets periodically backed up (so after watching his sensations again, the memory loss would be at most hours), but that really starts to push the system around.

Not to count the fact that the pod allows you to command the ship the way you do. The pod allows you to learn skills while doing something else the same time. It'll be a lot easier to do things the "conformist" way. But how to be in a bar /sipping with friends when you're in a spaceship? Some bars have "holoprojectors", which you can remotely control. As attested in the Burning Life, these projections can be very realistic - kind of 210th century 3D graphics. Of course, you'll be limited on physical interaction, since it's just a projection, but with drone systems or hidden sensors and speakers, you can see, speak and listen - possibly even smell. Some places are assumed to be completely virtual, so it's all cyberspace, with simulated senses. Of course, you can also dock up and "be there" in person. If you're docked to another station, then you can assume that you've taken a personal shuttle from station to station, though this does limit you a bit. (In-station trade does not work, though contracts still work.)

Shal Firestorm

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2010, 16:05 »

In the Burning Life and the "command section ejected" part, the ship in question was a frigate. Essentially, a heavy fighter designed for a crew you can count with your fingers. Larger ships would have command centers protected in the superstructure, with possibly some "bridge" or "conn tower" type structures. (For example, there's a clear window in the "deck" of the new Scorpion, right next to the rotating antenna.)

As for escape pods, technically you could RP that the capsule is some kind of an escape vehicle. However, that would also mean that if your pod is ever killed (as in, fighting another player), you're dead. Even that can be circumvented - don't update your clone, and you will wake up "with memory loss" from a backup clone taken the slow way a few days back. That could have some interesting effects, though I assume that RPing the memory loss would be quite a burden if you RP much, since you'd need to keep extensive notes on what all you have forgotten and should not reference. Even this might be circumvented by the character having a recording implant that gets periodically backed up (so after watching his sensations again, the memory loss would be at most hours), but that really starts to push the system around.

Not to count the fact that the pod allows you to command the ship the way you do. The pod allows you to learn skills while doing something else the same time. It'll be a lot easier to do things the "conformist" way. But how to be in a bar /sipping with friends when you're in a spaceship? Some bars have "holoprojectors", which you can remotely control. As attested in the Burning Life, these projections can be very realistic - kind of 210th century 3D graphics. Of course, you'll be limited on physical interaction, since it's just a projection, but with drone systems or hidden sensors and speakers, you can see, speak and listen - possibly even smell. Some places are assumed to be completely virtual, so it's all cyberspace, with simulated senses. Of course, you can also dock up and "be there" in person. If you're docked to another station, then you can assume that you've taken a personal shuttle from station to station, though this does limit you a bit. (In-station trade does not work, though contracts still work.)

Hmm see that was my original plan, say he has some 'backup' clones he had in storage and if he gets podded RP some memory loss as a result of them not being 'fresh' and all, and then just calling the pod that shoots out of his exploding ship an emergency escape pod rather then 'the' pod.

Honestly if this is too far out I can do the whole holo-image thing nice and easy, just always wondered about 'normal' pilots in the game.