Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Silphy enDiabel of the Syndicate used to be one of the Sisters of EVE? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: State of EVE RP - Visibility of RP  (Read 8924 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
State of EVE RP - Visibility of RP
« on: 25 Jan 2015, 08:30 »

I believe that much of the existing RP groups are almost invisible in their doings outside of the area in which they operate, and that this gives a false impression, regarding the "state of the RP community", or other such measurements.

I believe it is easy to assume that there are no RP groups, because those that do exist, do not have a high profile in such places as backstage or the IGS. This is exacerbated by timezone differences.

As an example, Serpentis themed RP. I know of one group - that of Joshua Foiritain's Coreli Corp, but do not know their ingame area of activity, or timezone, and don't immediately recall any major posts on the forums.

If I was not aware of Coreli Corp, it would initially appear that "Serpentis RP is dead".

I think a lack of visibility by various groups on the IGS, leads to similar conclusions - that "X RP is dead", when it is not really the case.

So, for visibility of different groups, what are the ones that you are aware of, and how visible are they ? What can or should RP people do ? Should they post more on the IGS and backstage ?

Amarr - PIE, Aegis Militia, SFRIM - several visible groups.
Gallente - ??? - I don't know what's going on with Gallente RP these days, I see Julianus Soter from time to time, and a few regularly posting IGS people, but I don't really know what's what.
Caldari - Stormcrows, Pyre Falcons, several other Caldari orientated RP groups, that are visible and visibly Caldari.
Minmatar - Gradient, TRIAD, Ushra'Khan - They're not as visible as they used to be.

Gurista/Sansha - I don't know what's going on with these, not since Veto and TS-F went inactive.
Blood Raiders - several visible groups.
Angel/Serpentis/Syndicate - Coreli Corp, Stillwater, don't recall any others offhand.
SoE, ORE, Mordus, other minor factions - I don't know of any visible groups associated with these.

So, when I occasionally see someone new to RP, and they say, are there any X faction RP groups, I can sometimes be unable to name any.

Fill in the blanks, if you can.
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: State of EVE RP - Visibility of RP
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2015, 09:53 »

Isn't there a CCP list of this sort of thing on the EVE Fiction Forums?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2015, 10:18 »

There is a list of which corps self-professed to align with certain factions. It doesn't say whether those corps are visible or active. Or if they are still functional, from what I see.

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2015, 10:53 »

I think I-RED is quite visible and they're Caldari aligned.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2015, 11:06 »

Psh nobody likes those guys!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2015, 11:14 »

There is a list of which corps self-professed to align with certain factions. It doesn't say whether those corps are visible or active. Or if they are still functional, from what I see.

Activity/functionality of the corp and the accuracy of their posting has always been the responsibility of the corps adding themselves to the list. My only responsibility is keeping the list in the OP up to date. Which I haven't done in a few weeks but I'm dealing with a lot of shit right now.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2015, 12:00 »

I've seen a couple of SoE corps

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2015, 12:29 »

This is actually a topic I'm pretty interested in. I had a long discussion Sami the only day about factional RP. Our discussion was a bit more specific but the nature of the topic was basically the insular nature of factional RP. While me and Sami discussed many things we both came to the conclusion that at least for some (Gallente, and Minmatar, specifically) the playerbase was currently simply to small to sustain the kind of "In-House" content generation that factional rp creates, and that would be needed to keep the average RP'er contented.

But more specifically on topic, the issue I perceive at least is that factional bodies, due to the current nature of Eve (specifically the Factional Warfare keeping factions directly opposed with each other,) that maintaining a constantly visible public presence that new players could see (I.E. Summit, IGS) is incredibly difficult. In part because public venues like the Summit more often then not force opposing factions to come to blows, and partly because once a faction begins generating a highly consumable amount of "In-House" content that players simply stop going "Out and about" to find some.

Of course also I think this comes to to a level of etiquette on individual rp'ers. "Politics and Religion are best not brought up amongst polite company." Unfortunately for the Summit, this is rarely the case. Given the sharp divide between each factions political/religion/demographic frameworks talking about Politics or Religion is a sure fired way to get into an argument. Win/Lose/Or Draw (But honestly everyone loses) one or two factions are generally dog piled and this leads to a gradual retreat from the public sphere.

For example I think the rapid growth of both PYRE and Scope Works, must partly be attributed to the fact that they are both unhindered by these factional barriers and capable of giving their members digestible content both in RP and OOC'ly. To a lesser extent Repracor too has seen an rather solid influx of members since its inception from all spectrum's and I think the reasons are very similar. The looser affiliation one takes with a specific faction the less baggage one has to take on in day to day interactions.

Of course there is nothing stopping someone from choosing a faction and simply avoiding "Hot-button" or contested topics, but with the current state of things, in many cases the issue is forced by someone with less-than-polite intentions.

Anyway, my two-cents. For what they are worth.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2015, 12:38 by Vizage »

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2015, 12:33 »

Regarding Viz post.

As I'm trying to create an absolutely neutral hostility free place to rp, I would welcome people visiting me if only to steal others away for factional rp. If I can facilitate this in anyway let me know. I may not be part of any of the factional communities but if my utterly neutral rp corp can help support others rp I'll do my best.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2015, 12:50 »

Kat Roleplay is the only Legitimate Roleplay. It is omnifactional, omnisexual, omnipotent, omniscient, omnivorous, and omniomni-al.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2015, 12:54 »

.....omnivorous....

Can confirm after careful case-studying.

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2015, 14:36 »

They'd probably be more likable if the got off their butts and.generated some content.

Anskek

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2015, 14:38 »

Wow rude.

Jandice Ymladris

• Collector of Civilians!
  • Wetgraver
    • Aurora Arcology News
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2015, 16:01 »

From what I can observe, RP seems very fragmented, divided into groups (as mentioned earlier)

The Aurora News thingie actually started as an attempt to bring about more RP events, from the thought 'RP are public stories, giving them a publication would give RP events more credit, even if it's by a player-run news agency'

through this, I did meet plenty of secluded RP groups. Minmatar & Gallente RP aren't dead, they're just very secluded & isolationist (and small).
Amarr & Caldari on the other hand have a vibrant outgoing RP community, taking the spotlight with a variety of public events.

On the Gallente, most RP among them involves Intaki, as the whole background of the race & system offers alot to work with.

With the Minmatar, Ushra'Khan does events, albeit they rarely announce them in public. Dunno about other groups tho.

Most public Minmatar seem to have dissapeared tho, just like the public Gallente faces, giving the impression it's dead (I do admit, the state of Gallente RP & Minmatar RP isn't healthy, public faces are needed to draw in new RP crowds to their respective factions.

In that regard, most pirate NPC factions have a good set of followers, despite them lacking figures, however, dedicated RP'ers are a rare find among most pirate NPC factions (save Bloodraiders/Sansha/Angels, but they do have public faces)

Something to keep in mind, one doesn't have to be an RP'er to organize events for their faction, Live Event moderators often runs them for the Gallente, rallying people for causes, celebrating Federation day, organizing a memorial event for Caldari prime battle etc. I feel events like this could be an interesting place to entice folks into RP, as they are naturally already interested in stories revolving around their factions & often act IC already during these events.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2015, 18:55 »

They'd probably be more likable if the got off their butts and.generated some content.

Oh but we have been for 6 years.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4