Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ships in EVE have crews?  Really.

Author Topic: Close or Rebrand?  (Read 1226 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Close or Rebrand?
« on: 19 Jan 2015, 11:32 »

Is it better to close a corporation down or rebrand it as something new?

Anyanka Funk

Re: Close or Rebrand?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2015, 11:37 »

Close it and take everyone's stuff.

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2015, 12:53 »

Talking from an OOC perspective: If your members are all on board with switching to a different gameplay activity then you're set.
Talking from an IC perspective: Everything is possible as it all depends on your actual goals and how you'd be able write the story. There is plenty of precedent in fiction (and probably the game, too) for organisations that started out doing something entirely different. In the end, the lion's share of your public/community perception will not be based on what you do.

If you're doing this without a stable stock of players to begin with make a decision whether your reputation, the reputation of your old corporation or the combination of both will yield the most attention.

Hong WeiLoh

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2015, 00:09 »

I forgot how to do the quote block here, so I'll just do it the old-fashioned way:
" In the end, the lion's share of your public/community perception will not be based on what you do."

Wrong. Unless all you "do" is post on the forums & play in RP-chat all day.
Otherwise, you'll be judged almost entirely by "what you do". Nobody cares about CODE.'s hurf-blurfing on the forums or their website. They care a hell of a lot about their ganking activities in hisec, though.

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2015, 07:20 »

Having done this several times, I prefer the clean start a close down and rebrand offers.  While it is more than possible to continue under a given name and prosper, it does come with baggage, prior expectations and nostalgia. 

My reasons for recreating Nisaba Syndicate as AWEX- were simple, AWEEX_ would be truly independent, unaffiliated with any previous partnerships and committed to a very different industrial model than the predecessor.  The clear division between the two helped my members and I to disassociate ourselves from the previous ways of things and embrace the new. 

So really it comes down to how open your members are for change and if you need to start a new page of history entirely.  Adaptable members looking for a fresh view?  Probably new corp.  Adaptable members looking to retain nostalgia, but capable of a mental division between the old and new?  You could keep the old name.  If your members aren't adaptable, then both approaches are fairly doomed, but people seem to be fairly flexible once they've spent time in this game going up against real challenges. 

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2015, 19:27 »

Come to a conclusion?
You are RPing wrong.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2015, 14:48 »

I'm super late to the thread, but if a conclusion wasn't reached yet:

If the name of the corp would still be relevant/make sense for the new direction, by all means rebrand and benefit from the ingame data such as Corp Creation Date, alliance history and name recognition (if any, and IF beneficial-seeming).  Otherwise, I'd scrap it and start fresh.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.