Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider ships have the same design and golden sheen as Amarrian vessels, but are mottled in rust-like vermilion? (The Burning Life p. 80)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: multiple cloning, backup cloning, and other clone related information  (Read 20151 times)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Well then you can put that in multiple clones, can't you?

Yes. And as has already been said, there is nothing that stops people from doing this except a LAW. And laws can and have been broken.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

OLD EVE LORE:

Soft Clone Scan:   A fancy eve machine makes a slow and detailed scan of person A, right before they eat a sandwhich.  The scan doesn't kill person A.   The scan is saved in fancy EVE hard drive to be installed on a brain-empty, in stasis shell clone (person B) at a later time.   

Person A eats a sandwich, and then gets food poisoning and dies.

Fancy EVE computer installs the stored backup of person A onto empty clone B, who wakes up with no memory of eating that sandwich or dying.  Everything person A did after the slow scan is 'missing' from this clone B.

Hyper Illegal punishable by CONCORD wtf bbq:  Install memory and wake up clone B while clone A is still alive.  Now two independent instances of person A running around, derping up the universe.  Basically this is not an option for RPers because they've said over and over again it just doesn't happen, etc etc.  I don't buy this logic for the IP because what, space vampires blood farming is ok but two clones and it's a big issue? Plot fail.

Old Lore:

Hard Scan - in ur pod, bein podded, the instant the pod seal breaks, person A gets euthanized by the pod, and a basically instantaneous flash scan is done of their brain, and beamed to and installed in empty, waiting clone B.  As far as person A is concerned there is no 'loss' of consciousness. 

Here's where we can of course debate the super serrrius matters of continuity of consciousness, death, and continuance of soul, whatever.  A subject for higher minds than me.

NEW LORE:

DERP DERP NO SOFT SCANS NO MORE. WE WERE UH, WRONG ABOUT THAT.  HARD SCANNIN ALL THE TIME.

At least that's my interpretation of the retconned PF?

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs

MY interpretation is "Our lore wasn't grimdark enough. Go kill yourselves on a regular basis."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

MY interpretation is "Our lore wasn't grimdark enough. Go kill yourselves on a regular basis."

Should we petition CCP's lore team for abusive language? :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

Don't mind it at all. Casually killing yourself to get to your staging area without having to slowboat is another of the things that separate eggers from baseliners. A capacity and willingness to leave behind mortality and embrace immortality.

Don't like killing yourself? Shouldn't have become a capsuleer who dies on a regular basis anyway.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Welcome to cloning.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

OLD EVE LORE:

Soft Clone Scan:   A fancy eve machine makes a slow and detailed scan of person A, right before they eat a sandwhich.  The scan doesn't kill person A.   The scan is saved in fancy EVE hard drive to be installed on a brain-empty, in stasis shell clone (person B) at a later time.   

Person A eats a sandwich, and then gets food poisoning and dies.

Fancy EVE computer installs the stored backup of person A onto empty clone B, who wakes up with no memory of eating that sandwich or dying.  Everything person A did after the slow scan is 'missing' from this clone B.

Hyper Illegal punishable by CONCORD wtf bbq:  Install memory and wake up clone B while clone A is still alive.  Now two independent instances of person A running around, derping up the universe.  Basically this is not an option for RPers because they've said over and over again it just doesn't happen, etc etc.  I don't buy this logic for the IP because what, space vampires blood farming is ok but two clones and it's a big issue? Plot fail.

Old Lore:

Hard Scan - in ur pod, bein podded, the instant the pod seal breaks, person A gets euthanized by the pod, and a basically instantaneous flash scan is done of their brain, and beamed to and installed in empty, waiting clone B.  As far as person A is concerned there is no 'loss' of consciousness. 

Here's where we can of course debate the super serrrius matters of continuity of consciousness, death, and continuance of soul, whatever.  A subject for higher minds than me.

NEW LORE:

DERP DERP NO SOFT SCANS NO MORE. WE WERE UH, WRONG ABOUT THAT.  HARD SCANNIN ALL THE TIME.

At least that's my interpretation of the retconned PF?

I've never seen an official denial of softscans existing. They just exist now in the same limbo they did before (not officially recognized, but not denied either) and have still been tacitly referenced by CCP actors and employees.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

having multiple copies of yourself at the same time all under the control of 1 mind, is just lol.

like, what it means is, if you're at an RP location, what it says IC to the other characters, is "You are only worth 1/8th of my attention". If you had 7 other bodies roaming around, that is.

A touch rude, that.

Just like that bit in Watchmen, with Dr. Manhattan.
\o/

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile

I remember a discussion about this on the EM boards way back. Arakady Sadik's player said he felt soft scan tech would be inconsistent with the general grimdark tone of EVE. Too Star Trek for his tastes.

I figured that if you soft scan prior to jump cloning (which would make sense given implants are not destroyed) then you are effectively murdering the previous version of yourself in that body when you return to it. Now how's that for grimdark?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread

Hmm. There is some truth to what LouDou said, perhaps.

"What was Saede doing while I was with her? Was she causing death and destruction in some system lightyears away? Was she telling a bedtime story to her sister?"
These thoughts have crossed Ché's mind, although not always because of the diverted attention, because Ché is also sometimes multitasking and spreading his attention even if he only has one body.
At any rate, I don't see it as ruder than using holo's while doing other stuff, or even physicaly talking to someone while also being active on your Neocom channels, and both seem to happen quite a bit.
-OOChé

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

I remember a discussion about this on the EM boards way back. Arakady Sadik's player said he felt soft scan tech would be inconsistent with the general grimdark tone of EVE. Too Star Trek for his tastes.

I figured that if you soft scan prior to jump cloning (which would make sense given implants are not destroyed) then you are effectively murdering the previous version of yourself in that body when you return to it. Now how's that for grimdark?

Ironically I always felt that Softscan cloning was the most grimdark version of cloning available in EVE: Unlike hardscanning, claiming it's the same consciousness as the one that 'died' is much more of a stretch, and the consequences of dying while softscanned (serious memory loss, time lapse, possibly having no way to figure out what or who killed you) lends itself much more to 'grimdark' stories.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Hmm. There is some truth to what LouDou said, perhaps.

"What was Saede doing while I was with her? Was she causing death and destruction in some system lightyears away? Was she telling a bedtime story to her sister?"
These thoughts have crossed Ché's mind, although not always because of the diverted attention, because Ché is also sometimes multitasking and spreading his attention even if he only has one body.
At any rate, I don't see it as ruder than using holo's while doing other stuff, or even physicaly talking to someone while also being active on your Neocom channels, and both seem to happen quite a bit.

It might be a very interesting story to write down the line. What is each Saede doing at any given point in time?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Reasonable arguments for softscanning still being a thing.

Multiple active clones is a big no-no, I think you lose your capsuleer license for that kind of thing? That's like CONCORD prime directive #1?

Maybe if you kept them locked up in an isolation ward and never told another living person about it ever?  And murdered all the clone techs?
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2015, 10:57 by Silas Vitalia »

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain

It is Merdaneth's firm belief that multiple clones of the same person are impossible. Due to the soul, a piece of the divine, being impossible to copy.

His belief is supported by fact. Capsuleers are not afraid to break laws if it suits their purposes, in fact, most feel quite above any law and certainly don't defer to the rules of Concord or the empires. But he hasn't met anyone who has multiple copies running. He also hasn't met anyone who feels that having multiple copies is a law that shouldn't be broken.

Ergo, there is motivation to make multiple clones, capsuleers don't find it immoral to do so, and the law cannot be enforced. Then the only reason something isn't happening because its impossible.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

So, I'm actually doing it, I have multiple clones running around.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13