Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ship crews either spend most of their journey in their escape pods, and are awoken with adrenaline only as needed?(Source: The Burning Life novel by CCP Abraxas.) or live aboard ship much like ship's crews today? (Source)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: multiple cloning, backup cloning, and other clone related information  (Read 20143 times)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

I don't remember what chronicles but there's been a few descriptions of the pod and transfer scenario as it happened. All of them described it as feeling themselves pulled across space. They experienced it. Saw it and felt it all before waking up. Scientifically possible? Hahaaaaa not in our lifetime. Science fiction plausible ? Eh. Why not?

SOMETHING SOMETHING INFOMORPH SOMETHING

That's like saying that people seeing a white light when they are brought back from being clinically dead is proof that Heaven and the soul exist.

The science article on cloning clearly spells out how the process works (and explains what that 'feeling' is: It's the feeling of the brain's neurons growing into their appropriate places in the final stages of the creation of the brain).

"The precise shape of the dendrites and the potentiation level of the synapse, which together determine memories and skills, have to be fine tuned through a neural link. Impulses are sent through the link to stimulate further growth and shaping of the dendrites, until they fill in the paths formed with the activation process. In the final stages of this tuning, as the clone regains consciousness, potentiation at synapses is quickly adjusted to recorded levels, generating a feeling often described as one of memories "coming back"."

That exact same process of growing the clone and brain is done with backup scans, the only difference is that backups are generating the new brain out of data from a scan made earlier and saved on a computer, whereas the one immediately after podding is used... immediately after podding from data directly from the burn scanner.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2015, 19:03 by Samira Kernher »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Cause then that ain't you. It looks like you. Sounds like you. Acts like you. But it ain't you. You will not wake up as that clone.

My response to this ICly would be that the idea of there being a persistent 'you' in the first place is something of a misnomer. Consciousness is an emergent phenomena that occurs 'in the moment' the sense of having been the same person in the past is simply the product of memories, there's no 'real' longevity or persistence to what makes us, us. Our biological brains simply create that false sense of persistence because its good from a survival/evolutionary perspective.

What feels like 'you' only exists in the moment of the feeling. Who 'you' are is constantly changing.

As for the whole 'multi-person' thing which originally started the topic, my character is a multiple, she has 8 active bodies. They're all connected together so that the aggregate of the minds is Saede, instead of any one body. This is yes, highly illegal from CONCORD law perspective, which is kind of interesting from an RP perspective, and one I quite enjoy.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

While the Broker is a colossal turboMarySue and I don't recall, or want to recall, the details of his many clone setup, there were some other things in the novels that were relevant.

Such as the whole plot with Falek Grange's clone being activated in the CRU, and becoming that guy who had amnesia, (and who was also cured of being evil, because he didn't remember any of his Theology Council education, which is ofc what turns people evil in the EVE universe).

the human mind is already bad at multitasking, I don't see it being possible, even with technosorcery, of controlling 2 or more bodies at once. If the Broker did that in the novels, I don't remember reading it.

The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod

the human mind is already bad at multitasking, I don't see it being possible, even with technosorcery, of controlling 2 or more bodies at once. If the Broker did that in the novels, I don't remember reading it.

Bit easier when you have more then one body's worth of brain-space, though still somewhat tricky, I don't see it as impossible, and its clearly possible somehow within the lore. Rule of cool and whatnot.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

its clearly possible somehow within the lore.

source.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs

the existence of clone backups, makes you wonder why the burning scanner even exists, what good it even does. Since you don't 'need' to 'transfer consciousness' to a new clone, can just use whatever mumbo jumbo technobabble it is that records the backup.

Silly universe.

Because the devs removed mentions of soft cloning.

When you make a clone backup, it's a burn scan. When you jump clone, it's a burn scan. There's no getting around killing off your current body anytime you get your brain scanned. The only difference between the two is whether the data is saved to a computer for later use or used instantly without saving.

Reading this at work, but, pretty sure source mentions soft clones

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod

its clearly possible somehow within the lore.

source.

You mentioned it in your own post :P

And honestly? I really don't particularly care if I'm breaking some lore rule by doing it. There's plenty of other things I'm sure I'm doing wrong too.

Anskek

Now if only other people could get away with "doing it wrong."

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod

Just embrace your wrongness. Become one with the bad.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs

*does things wrongly with Saede*

Anskek

Just embrace your wrongness. Become one with the bad.
I meant others who give a fuck. I give a fuck about those who give a fuck. I do not give a fuck about myself though....
Fuck

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

the existence of clone backups, makes you wonder why the burning scanner even exists, what good it even does. Since you don't 'need' to 'transfer consciousness' to a new clone, can just use whatever mumbo jumbo technobabble it is that records the backup.

Silly universe.

Because the devs removed mentions of soft cloning.

When you make a clone backup, it's a burn scan. When you jump clone, it's a burn scan. There's no getting around killing off your current body anytime you get your brain scanned. The only difference between the two is whether the data is saved to a computer for later use or used instantly without saving.

Reading this at work, but, pretty sure source mentions soft clones

No. Source mentions backup clones. It does not mention soft clones. A soft clone is usually defined as a non-fatal slow scan (whereas a hard scan is a burn scan).

The devs have gone in the direction that all cloning requires a fatal burn scan.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs

How do you get a back up clone if all cloning is fatal?

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette

How do you get a back up clone if all cloning is fatal?

You don't delete the copy after sticking it in a clone?

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs

Well then you can put that in multiple clones, can't you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13