Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders have grandmothers? (The Burning Life)

Author Topic: [Character] Xiaohui  (Read 883 times)

Xiaohui

• Clonejack
[Character] Xiaohui
« on: 24 Dec 2014, 18:48 »

Name: "Xiaohui"
Race: Achura
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 105lbs

IC:
The individual known only as "Xiaohui" began appearing in early YC115, in the form of a few scientific papers that were published on the subject of comparative genomics and archaeology. Few people have made personal contact with her, and attempts to find out information have come up empty, suggesting that "Xiaohui" is an alias. After a year of lurking in the background, "Xiaohui" has begun to make more of appearance on the scientific and capsuleer stage.

OOC:
Yay for cliche's, right? The spooky, enigmatic scientist lady lurking in the shadows! Hopefully I can get this character out of her shell a bit more and interacting with the world, developing her away from rote RP cliche - particularly I'd like to explore the effects of immortality and social isolation on pod pilots. And just maybe I can drop enough hints in my roleplay and writing that someone out there can figure out just exactly who I am. :)

Xiaohui is actually an alias and alter ego used by, I guess you could say, a "semi-notorious" capsuleer who has quite an extensive history of piracy and crime, having defected from the Caldari state, as well as having had "unfortunate" associations with some nasty eggers who CONCORD deemed fit to put into permanent stasis. Xiaohui is unique in that she is actually played when the capsuleer has jumped to the original clone - ie, my actual character's first clone, that never got podded. I actually play EVE in a jump clone and have made sure to never let the original get killed. I thought that was a pretty unique touch to add to the story.

Whether in her original incarnation or hiding behind her alias, this character's major theme is trying to outrun consequences long enough to have some breathing room and determine self-identity - is she the pirate and criminal, is she the scientist, or the profiteer/explorer? The burden of immortal is the curse of choice - which path will I choose? Can I really change? Who am I?

The character behind Xiaohui was actually fleeing the law, and ended up in wormhole space, where she was taken in by some capsuleers willing to put some trust in her. This character has always had a strong interest in science (and actually ran an industrial/research corp before turning to crime) which was only re-awakened in this strange new placed we call "Anoikis". Because of past enemies and affiliations, the character does not feel safe in K-Space - even having her clones in empire stations is a point of unease for her, hence having a pirate CRU (pretty much retrofit from a Rorqual) in an undisclosed location, which is operated almost entirely by drones.

My hope is that I can provide a new perspective on the human condition made immortal, and provide some quality content for you all to read.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: [Character] Xiaohui
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2014, 12:12 »

Xiaohui is actually an alias and alter ego used by, I guess you could say, a "semi-notorious" capsuleer who has quite an extensive history of piracy and crime, having defected from the Caldari state, as well as having had "unfortunate" associations with some nasty eggers who CONCORD deemed fit to put into permanent stasis. Xiaohui is unique in that she is actually played when the capsuleer has jumped to the original clone - ie, my actual character's first clone, that never got podded. I actually play EVE in a jump clone and have made sure to never let the original get killed. I thought that was a pretty unique touch to add to the story.
That's actually very interesting.  I wish I'd known about jump clones when I first started.  I also wish I'd known how to not get podded outside of a bubble when I was a noob :(

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Xiaohui

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2014, 16:52 »

That's actually very interesting.  I wish I'd known about jump clones when I first started.  I also wish I'd known how to not get podded outside of a bubble when I was a noob :(

Originally it was her original body - back in 2010 I was toying with the idea "why can't we be actually immortal rather than functionally immortal?" Why go out and die and transfer our minds to a new body - why not "clone jump" from our original body, and just send back regular updates? But then I read a bit more of the lore and realized that wasn't possible, because our original bodies are euthanized during the first cloning process.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2014, 17:50 »

Euthanization is a relatively new thing in the lore and does not apply to everyone - it is also, apparently, not even a requirement right now, though Samira is more familiar with that particular detail than I.

It was briefly mentioned in the tutorials a few years back. Then removed. Then added again in, iirc, Odyssey, with the Origin trailer. If it wasn't mentioned in the tutorials for your character(s) when they were created, then it doesn't apply to them anyway.

As for the rest of the cloning lore... CCP has gone through several iterations of it and has failed miserably at keeping it anything resembling consistent over the years, so most people pick and choose bits and pieces of it that make sense to them, and fill in the holes with various bits of what might be considered "mildly apocryphal canon."
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.