Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Saxon Hawke has the inscription "A man travels the universe in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." added near the entry port of every ship he purchases?

Author Topic: Re: Come to think of it, why _is_ the IGS so weird?  (Read 1328 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

It is what it is. Appeal to "the majority" if you wish, but it's quite clearly not the case in Eve. The difference here is that Eve is one of the few games where damn near everything is perfectly IC. You do something in the game, your character does it in the game. You post on the forums, your character is posting on the forums. This is an actually immersive game compared to all the wow-clones out there, and that affects the out-of-game stuff.

Feel free to make your own forum for these things (or get the new IC forums a section for it, or whatever) but the IGS really is not the place for that kind of crap. A post there is made by your character, not the player.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
Re: Re: Come to think of it, why _is_ the IGS so weird?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2014, 08:12 »

It is what it is. Appeal to "the majority" if you wish, but it's quite clearly not the case in Eve. The difference here is that Eve is one of the few games where damn near everything is perfectly IC. You do something in the game, your character does it in the game. You post on the forums, your character is posting on the forums. This is an actually immersive game compared to all the wow-clones out there, and that affects the out-of-game stuff.

Feel free to make your own forum for these things (or get the new IC forums a section for it, or whatever) but the IGS really is not the place for that kind of crap. A post there is made by your character, not the player.

I'm not trying to appeal to "the majority" - I know Eve culture is sorta counter to that. That's what started this to begin with. It's just really peculiar that that's the case.

Eve's roleplay community is really strangely insular and cut off from the wider MMO roleplay sphere. I worry that it makes it a little alienating for people migrating from elsewhere, in a lot of senses. Even before this present event, another of my friends was turned off because of the stark literalist trend that people from this community get so serious and defensive about that it's practically enforced. I don't think that's really very healthy for it. There should atleast be options for people who don't want to go along with that sort of thing.

I genuinely don't see the problem - From all evidence, CCP would be totally okay with roleplay in the manner I'm talking about on the IGS so long as it's clearly defined and marked as a roleplay thread. What would be the harm in making a few threads like this, there? I can't imagine it's "immersion", considering the amount of borderline OOC or crazily lore breaking stuff that gets posted there already.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2014, 08:13 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:12 »

Could you stop calling that kind of crap and other venues supposedly less immersive or any other derogatory definition when it's mostly about your own tastes please ? It's annoying.

I for one find collaborative storytelling 100 times more immersive than the IGS will ever be, and i'm not trying to enforce it on everyone here discussing, when one is merely discussing his/her taste.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:17 »

No, I could not. I am stating a personal opinion on the matter and you don't get to say people aren't free to do so just because you disagree.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:19 »

No, I could not. I am stating a personal opinion on the matter and you don't get to say people aren't free to do so just because you disagree.

Then maybe you should add sayings like "I think that..." and "I do believe that..." before each of your opinions instead of stating them as facts. It should do wonders.

For now it certainly doesn't sound like you are actually to state a personal opinion.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:23 »

Then maybe you should add sayings like "I think that..." and "I do believe that..." before each of your opinions instead of stating them as facts. It should do wonders.

For now it certainly doesn't sound like you are actually to state a personal opinion.

No, I could not. Everything I post in an opinion thread is an opinion. If you take it otherwise it's on you.

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
Re: Come to think of it, why _is_ the IGS so weird?
« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2014, 12:09 »

[mod]Gwen is a victim of quoting modded post, hence it went.General note: Be polite, don't be inflammatory or try to be edgy.[/mod]
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban