Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sarum family is known for being the most belligerent royal family?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would Like to Hire Someone to Collect World News  (Read 4372 times)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
Re: Would Like to Hire Someone to Collect World News
« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2014, 07:22 »

I think the odds of this succeeding before christmas would be better if multiple people participated in a coordinated fashion. Ideally I would say at least 1 person per year of news articles, unless some people really have a lot of time on their hands.
-OOChé

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2014, 08:04 »

What kind of deadline are you looking at Jace?

I am thinking by Christmas. I am hoping to get the actual assembly of the compendium well underway by then.

If you are interested but do not want that early of a deadline, Ollie, I can also just hire someone and then when I have time pick up where they left off regardless of how much they had done.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2014, 13:30 »

I was doing something really similar for the EL-G for a while, and it's a ludicrous amount of work - though it should be said that I was re-writing synopsis of events too, which is really what ballooned the effort. We eventually stopped. Creating a narrative out of it was a lot harder than just everyone independently reading the backlog on their own (I think Desra was hoping for plot hooks, but it's mostly large scale, historical-level things). Re-writing the articles into a narrative is made especially difficult because of the fragmented way that the stories come out, and took a lot of back and forth between articles to find out what actually ended up happening; there is a lot of information-that-changes-as-situations-develop. Good crafting on CCP's part, terrible to jump in cold. As for the level of detail you're talking about, that is truly mad amount of work, and will probably end up accounting for more than half of all the fiction written! It'll take some organization, but I'm willing to chip in.

I know my way around the last few years of articles, and the Gallente side of things fairly alright because of the job, so if you need any additional help, send me a line, OOC or IC or both; Aedre's a Civilian Relations Officer in the warzone, so he's out and about enough to maybe be heard of for the not-so-shooty paperwork/talky Gallente-Caldari things...? It's not his style to be hostile out of the gate to individuals or Capsuleers at the moment, despite the appearance of a hard alignment - that would probably not be a healthy stance considering the particulars of his job. :p
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2014, 13:36 »

Yeah, I am not planning on rewriting all of the news into a narrative at this point in time. That is a 'maybe someday perhaps' sort of thing - this is just to make sure any relevant Caldari PF is archived, listed, and any parts that illuminate other parts of the compendium can be found.

So if someone is curious what News has to say on a topic, they can go to the compendium to the Caldari News section and search for whatever keywords they are interested in. That sort of thing.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2014, 15:28 »

Yeah, I didn't assume you wanted to re-write it all too! Just letting you know that from that angle, it's an especially deep well.  :psyccp:
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Ollie

• Egger
Would Like to Hire Someone to Collect World News
« Reply #20 on: 16 Sep 2014, 15:50 »

Presuming that the specific detail of what you need Jace is only a list of article names and web links I could take a shot at it. I'd leave the final proof-reading/fact-checking up to you once said list was compiled of course.

As others have noted I think the amount of work involved might well see that deadline exceeded, although it is a good ten weeks away yet. I also think Che's suggestion is a good one - gathering a small working group is probably going to benefit you and not just in terms of making the deadline.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2014, 15:52 by Ollie »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 16 Sep 2014, 15:57 »

Presuming that the specific detail of what you need Jace is only a list of article names and web links I could take a shot at it. I'd leave the final proof-reading/fact-checking up to you once said list was compiled of course.

As others have noted I think the amount of work involved might well see that deadline exceeded, although it is a good ten weeks away yet. I also think Che's suggestion is a good one - gathering a small working group is probably going to benefit you and not just in terms of making the deadline.

Yeah, just the list and the links. I will compile it all into a searchable PDF later on when I put it in the compendium. We can go ahead with it and see how slow or fast the progress is and keep an eye out for others that would like to join in.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #22 on: 16 Sep 2014, 19:56 »

Well shit.

If you wanted all the minmatar ones I would have just made 1 bil
=/

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 29 Oct 2014, 23:59 »

As of right now I am just going to add this to my own to-do list as those who were interested have informed me of how time-consuming this is going to be. Since the Compendium will take so long to do anyway, I'm not worried about getting any particular part of it done quickly at the moment.

My decided process is to search each World News article by a set of keywords. If any of the following keywords are included a news article, they will be included in the News section of compendium regardless of the usefulness of the actual mention:

Caldari
Provist
CEP
Sukuuvestaa
Nugoeihuvi
CBD
Ishukone
Hyasyoda
Kaalakiota
Wiyrkomi
Lai Dai

I can't think of a situation where a State-related news article would not have at least one of those keywords. If anyone can think of an example that would suggest I add a keyword to that list, please let me know.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 30 Oct 2014, 00:19 »

Try looking through here:

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/The_Book_of_EVE

Yep, that will be the quickest way to get an earlier version of the Compendium out. I am planning to do it in three stages. First without the full-text of relevant World News. Second, with a fast grab of relevant World News (using resources like the Book). And third, a version where I can personally vouch that I have gone through each World News individually myself.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
Elementary, my dear tube child
« Reply #26 on: 03 Nov 2014, 23:41 »

As of right now I am just going to add this to my own to-do list as those who were interested have informed me of how time-consuming this is going to be. Since the Compendium will take so long to do anyway, I'm not worried about getting any particular part of it done quickly at the moment.

My decided process is to search each World News article by a set of keywords. If any of the following keywords are included a news article, they will be included in the News section of compendium regardless of the usefulness of the actual mention:

Caldari
Provist
CEP
Sukuuvestaa
Nugoeihuvi
CBD
Ishukone
Hyasyoda
Kaalakiota
Wiyrkomi
Lai Dai

I can't think of a situation where a State-related news article would not have at least one of those keywords. If anyone can think of an example that would suggest I add a keyword to that list, please let me know.

Depending on your time/ skills/ resources, you could probably hire some newbies as in game, in character 'private detectives' to find this stuff out for you.

Pay them as much money to do research as they would make mining, and give them an IC reason for researching this. You could tell them that you are a private entity subcontracted with the Corporate Police Force.

Newbies are eager to help out, learn the game, AND eager to make money. Despite this, when they are starting out they barely have enough skills in game to be able to fly a hauler. They can't 'jump right in', and that can be frustrating. Telling them that they can be a Policeman/ Detective makes them feel useful/ important from day one, and 90% of 'undercover field work' involves observation.

What you are asking requires no actual in game skills, just out of game research skills. This is a way that eager newbies can be helping the corp out without actually even playing EVE. They also feel like an integral, important part of the game world.

Private detective/ reporter would probably be the best IC roleplay reason. Just use some sort of formula for writing murder mystery stories to develop an 'end game' plot, such as "It was Miss Marple in the study with the candlestick."

For example, what connection would Provists and the Hyasyoda corporation have? Aren't they from politically different factions? Who murdered Tibus Heth?

You have eleven topics mentioned here. It would be more fun/ practical to get eleven newbies/ employees each doing in depth research on one assigned topic, rather than asking one person to do it all.

Throw in some missions as part of the assignment as well, such as hauler missions to increase corporate standings with Lai Dei to farm datacores. Missions for Caldari Navy would help grind standings for Jita station trading taxes, too.

Contract 'livestock' (if that is possible) as part of the 'character cast' in your storyline. Exotic dancers, marines, Scientists, janitors can be prisoners, passengers, VIPs, criminal suspects, witnesses and so on. Every character would have a different story crafted by you. Every commodity item becomes a clue, another piece of the bigger puzzle.

Get your low skilled employees to haul skillbooks in shuttles and sell them in Jita as a 'cover front'. That way, they can earn ISK to make themselves self-reliant.

Eventually, your employees will probably be working their way to train up to covert ops frigates for surveillance purposes. Tracking down a high sec enemy of your choosing with locator agents would be fun too.

High sec war decs would just seem like a plot climax in the story. They have the coincidental appearance that 'Corporation X' are attacking because they must be involved in the plot somehow. "Why are they attacking us? Hmm. Does someone have something to hide?"

PVP training would be an essential part of being a private detective of course. If they decide they don't want to be 'private detectives', the cov ops skill are transferable to Faction war scouts, intel channels and so on.
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #27 on: 14 Nov 2014, 13:03 »

I can't think of a situation where a State-related news article would not have at least one of those keywords.
I think I remembered seeing some of those articles when I did my first assesment, to try and see if this approach would work, but sadly concluded that that would not work 100%. That's why I said you basicly ask people to read each article.
I did not think it would take me long to find one article that would not have any of your keywords, and indeed, the first one I looked at contained none of them: http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/eifyr-co-respond-to-tukoss-messaging/
Now, you can add Zainou and Hilen Tukoss to the keyword list, but I think making a reliable keyword list is only possible by reading all the articles to find the appropriate keywords.. :lol:
-OOChé
Pages: 1 [2]