Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers were a political activist organization that fought for repealing starship licensing fees, laying the foundations for the independent capsuleer community.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What other games are you playing?  (Read 6844 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: What other games are you playing?
« Reply #30 on: 15 Sep 2014, 05:15 »

Or just wait for Civ: Beyond Earth. It looks bloody gorgeous at this stage.

It is... different.

Even more than how Civ 3 is different from Civ 5, at the very least.

Tbh i'm not sold yet on Beyond Earth. Compared to a giant like SMAC, they will have a hard time to even match it, but I think that's not their goal to begin with. They just went for something different and much more accessible.

But there is a lot of things I either don't really like or just can't think anything about in Beyond Earth. It's too... gimmicky/casual. One of the flaws of Firaxis in all their recent titles imo.

SMAC is so old they do not even have to think about it. It is not a giant, it is a fossil.

Edit: In addition, despite its critical success SMAC was sold the least out of all of the Civilization games. So in the sense of a legacy, also not a problem. If they named the new game after it, then perhaps a comparison would be in order. But as it is, they do not have to be worried.

It's a giant fossil  :P

SMAC actually had a great reception but rather poor sales overall, which is a shame, but understandable as it targets a niche audience and is a lot more complex than civ.

And that's precisely why they didn't use the same name. They want something different. Less daring I would say...

Yeah, the nostalgia goggles, dey do nahthing. It was an amazing game for its time, but tried it recently and it's frankly not all that good anymore. The UI is so dated and fiddly it's not even funny. I'll take this spiritual successor any day of the week, from what I've seen.

I think that SMAC UI is great, although a bit old looking indeed. The level of customization of that game is just mindboggling. Either of the interface itself (you will rarely see something such customizable these days), or just the game modes themselves (<3 that slow tech mechanism, it's ten times better than their marathon thingy these days).

But it suffers from obscure things, like a good and clear explanation of combat and numbers shown, the tech tree, while great, suffers from a very poor representation... That's the main gripe I may have with SMAC : some things are too obscure or not clear enough, or difficult to access to have a clear picture of things.

I'll take SMAC over Beyond Earth for now. I like some of their ideas in BE, but some others, I just don't.

That's also why I tend to prefer civ 3 over civ 4 or 5, even if it lacks some of their new concepts like religion, hexa shaped grid, etc. They suppressed so many things that were essential to what I consider to be the core of a civ game that it makes me cringe a bit even if I now play civ 5...
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2014, 05:16 by Lyn Farel »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 15 Sep 2014, 07:14 »

And that's precisely why they didn't use the same name. They want something different. Less daring I would say...

Well, no they didn't use the same name because Beyond Earth is quite literally the next title in the Civilization series. They have never claimed it was anything else. In fact, quite the opposite - the devs have made it very clear in interviews that it is a Civ game and for people to not expect the majority of mechanics to be drastically different than Civ 5 because it is just the next title in the series that happens to have a setting overhaul and a couple related differences.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #32 on: 15 Sep 2014, 09:32 »

Borderlands 2, XCOM, and Skyrim.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 15 Sep 2014, 13:12 »

Well, no they didn't use the same name because Beyond Earth is quite literally the next title in the Civilization series. They have never claimed it was anything else. In fact, quite the opposite - the devs have made it very clear in interviews that it is a Civ game and for people to not expect the majority of mechanics to be drastically different than Civ 5 because it is just the next title in the series that happens to have a setting overhaul and a couple related differences.

Well yes, that's what I said. They want a game in the civilization series. Not a successor to SMAC. They want something different from SMAC, which is, a civilization game in space.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 15 Sep 2014, 17:55 »

Been playing various persistent world servers on Neverwinter Nights 2. Along with War Thunder, and more recently The Secret World.

I also run roll20 pnp games online for nerds like me  :lol:.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #35 on: 15 Sep 2014, 20:22 »

Been playing various persistent world servers on Neverwinter Nights 2.

You can still do that? I figured with the shutdown of GameSpy that NWN2 MP was shot.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #36 on: 16 Sep 2014, 03:42 »

roll20 is awesome.

John Revenent

• Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 16 Sep 2014, 09:25 »

For NWN2, you can join via direct connect. I have been a DM on several of the servers, their populations range between 40-70 online at anytime. :)

As for Roll20 yes I love it, recently I collected a few people from my NWN community and started up a Dark-Age Traveler series, its been a blast so far. ofc anyone wanting to get in on some space apocalypse PnP RP is welcome to poke me.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2014, 09:27 by John Revenent »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #38 on: 16 Sep 2014, 09:49 »

For NWN2, you can join via direct connect. I have been a DM on several of the servers, their populations range between 40-70 online at anytime. :)

I thought that even direct connect wouldn't work after the GameSpy shutdown, good to know that's not the case.

I used to play on Sundren. No idea if it's still going.

Shiori

« Reply #39 on: 16 Sep 2014, 10:00 »

Been playing various persistent world servers on Neverwinter Nights 2.
I still play on an NWN1 PW, every now and then. I caught myself thinking, 'Bah, those young NWN2 whippersnappers', but then I realized even NWN2 has been around for the better part of a decade now.

John Revenent

• Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 16 Sep 2014, 10:09 »

I thought that even direct connect wouldn't work after the GameSpy shutdown, good to know that's not the case.

I used to play on Sundren. No idea if it's still going.

Sundren is kinda dead but still online. Dalelands, ToA, and Balders Gate are the main ones, although I'm looking forward to Shards of Vael its in closed alpha atm. My wife and I recently stepped down as a DM on Dalelands.

http://www.nwnlist.com/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #41 on: 16 Sep 2014, 12:27 »

Along with War Thunder, and more recently The Secret World.

Ah now i'm interested. What are you flying ?  :yar:

John Revenent

• Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 16 Sep 2014, 13:31 »

Tier 3 and 4 German planes. Add me on Steam if you want [JFR] or if that doesnt work [MrHinky] and we can pewpew.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #43 on: 16 Sep 2014, 14:01 »

Ah I see, you are a proponent of the brutor-put-as-many-guns-as-possible-on-that-piece-of-junk doctrine.  :D

Will do, don't hesitate to send me invites if you see me ingame or whatever.  [JunkyardDog] ingame.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2014, 14:54 by Lyn Farel »

Nissui

« Reply #44 on: 30 Sep 2014, 00:02 »

Getting a bit hype for an upcoming title.

Hype.

Bit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5