Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "because of Falcon" is passé?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I roleplay Seriphyn now?  (Read 4107 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
How do I roleplay Seriphyn now?
« on: 31 May 2010, 14:26 »

So, he has a dead fiancee and dead baby, but still has his nine-year old daughter, Anette.

The thing is, is that I'm not married or have kids IRL (though I have big aspirations of fatherhood and all), and I've never really been bereaved of someone that important. So I am really clueless as for how Seriphyn to behave...so far he is more aggressive and violent, more emotional/neurotic, and more likely to pursue casual sex without doing the whole courting thing first (so, mostly prostitutes instead of other capsuleers, since you have to RP getting to know them fir- oh look, a rabbit!)

But how would Seri behave when he's feeling "normal"? I'm not asking for people to tell me how to RP, but some recommendations and pointers would be helpful.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: How do I roleplay Seriphyn now?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2010, 15:18 »

You are a terrible father! prostitues instead of inviting some fine lady?

Violent? aggresive? some example you are giving!

Roleplay how an aunt or grandfather of yours is legally pursuing parenthood of your daughter and take it away from you.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

Vieve

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2010, 16:30 »

Roleplay how an aunt or grandfather of yours is legally pursuing parenthood of your daughter and take it away from you.

Or Seri's mother.

Seri could also ship the dear girl off to boarding school.   I'm sure Zag could recommend an excellent one.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2010, 18:19 »

I understand that Silver Night is turning into quite the caregiver for children now. ;)

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2010, 20:47 »

*chuckles*

The random image of Zu, "You don't deserve to be a parent you piece of filth... you said you thought I would make a good motherly figure for Annette - fine."

*Legally adopts Annette and kicks Seriphyn, then pods him*

She would too... but I don't really have the time to do so.  It was a good laugh.

Instead of looking for "love" for Seriphyn, either long term or a one night stand, he could focus on  being a good father - which does not necessarily mean finding a mother figure (of course coming from the person that's terrified of being a single mom - I can see why he's look for a partner).  When he's not with Annette, he could be out fighting whatever evils or such... if life was just about sex I'd be dead already.

Vieve

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2010, 20:53 »

*chuckles*

The random image of Zu, "You don't deserve to be a parent you piece of filth... you said you thought I would make a good motherly figure for Annette - fine."

*Legally adopts Annette and kicks Seriphyn, then pods him*

She would too... but I don't really have the time to do so.  It was a good laugh.

Seri seems to inspire women to want to do that.  :>

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2010, 22:48 »

I think Seri would probably stay away from sex altogether to be honest.  Depression from losing a child is earth shattering, then you add to it losing a fiancee. Heart-crushing depression doesnt really add to the sex drive. Sex is also going to remind him of his fiancee, for obvious reasons.  And, as a parent, sex becomes associated with procreation and having a child as much as romance or lust.  Sex is just going to make him think about the two people he lost, imho.  
« Last Edit: 31 May 2010, 22:52 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Goshien

• Wetgraver
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2010, 23:52 »

People deal with depression in different ways. People like myself detach themselves from the situation. Others become lethargic and withdrawn. Some people throw themselves into whatever it is they do in an attempt to distract themselves. Others might turn to drinking/drugs (usually a previous user) to help cope.

The question then becomes, how did Seriphyn deal with a loss or depressive emotions before? And then take that to the extreme.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jun 2010, 02:57 »

How about Seri stopping distracting himself from the fact that he hates what he is by trying to find love outside himself. It would be a good idea for him to learn to love himself first, then he can truly start giving something good for his daughter.

Or he could go the Amarrian route and get religion.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jun 2010, 07:07 »

How about Seri stopping distracting himself from the fact that he hates what he is by trying to find love outside himself. It would be a good idea for him to learn to love himself first, then he can truly start giving something good for his daughter.

Good point. Is Seri the kind of guy who'd try to fix things within his life or take it out on everything he doesn't have control over because that's easier than accepting responsibility? A slightly less one-dimensional route could be a middle ground between the two, which could lead to some seriously overprotective parenting and a lot more character depth.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #11 on: 01 Jun 2010, 12:47 »

He's from CP isn't he?  How about the Caldari religion.  :bear:

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jun 2010, 12:26 »

Omnomnomonom.

Your responses are great guys, thanks! I'm pretty sure I had a new point to bring up to see what you folks thought but I forgets...

@Hamish - Tempting, I'll have to look that up. He's sort of a loose believer in the "Gallenteans Gods" (or whatever) though

@Shae - Good question. He is a violent character that uses aggression more often than not to get what he wants. He might be able to do the responsible thing with the support of others, but I like the sound of overprotective parenting...however, Anette is a character I actually RP, and would be a shame to discourage people RPing with her by Seri scaring them off xD

@Lallara - That is definitely on his agenda...however, this process I will see taking up to ten years and beyond...so...

@Goshien - Rage and moar rage I guess. Very James Hetfield.

@Gottii - A very good viewpoint which I'll probably be adopting

@Zuzanna - He will probably appreciate Anette a LOT more than he already did (which was quite a lot anyway), since he realizes how it is possible to lose your blood and kin (even if chances are 1:100000)

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jun 2010, 06:45 »

I think it's evident by his general demeanour and his Quafe sponsorship that Seri already has loving himself down to a tee :lol:

On a more serious note, as for myself, not to sound melodramatic but I've lost six people extremely close to me, some of whom were blood relatives, in the last five years or so. Perhaps I can help.

My take on things would be simple given my own experience :

Seri is by nature very egotistic, and sees himself as one of the bigshots of the FDU. His personality is going to change, without a doubt. I'm no big shot and my personality and view on life has changed massively in the last five years or so.

Initially he'll probably go one of two ways, either his ego will take a massive dive and he'll end up in pieces for a while trying to figure out where things went wrong and if he could have stopped it, or he's going to go polar opposite and not want to show himself as weak.

If the first occurs, he'd be more than likely to stick out of the public eye, spend time with his daughter and do the good dad thing with a seriously protective watch over his daughter.

The second, I think his daughter would be treat the same, but Seri's temper would more than likely shorten with everyone around him, her included. He'd more than likely become more aggressive with those that challenge or antagonise him (i did this for a period before cooling off).

I think that regardless of what direction he goes in, he's going to be an overprotective father given losing one child, especially a son. To a man, in most of today's societies a son is the continuation of family tradition and passing on the family name to the next generation. It's his way to ensure that the family continues to thrive into the next generation and beyond, so I should imagine that Seriphyn would be very shook up over the loss of the little one regardless of how tough his ego paints him, this can only lead to him being more protective of his daughter.

As for the long term, who knows.

I could probably pile 101 pages of detail right here onto the forums, but it's a difficult thing to get across and I'd just end up sounding like an over-emotional gimp.

Feel free to drop me an evemail or something if you've got any specific question and suchlike. More than happy to help.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #14 on: 03 Jun 2010, 13:54 »

Start a Clown School in EVE. 
Pages: [1] 2