Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Egonics inc. makes a headset called an Egone that broadcasts music directly into a wearer's brain?

Author Topic: Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator  (Read 1334 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator
« on: 06 Jun 2014, 19:09 »

Some of you might have heard from this, but for those who havent, I bring you the only kind of LARPing I wouldnt make fun of.

http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

Here's a video of some people playing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Q2X32hZNk

Quite frankly its a perfect beer and pretzels game to play with friends.

"Engineering is down. He's ordering the pizza sir" is something that Kirk never had to deal with. 

All in all, its been a blast with me and my friends and family.  I've laughed so hard my sides hurt. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jun 2014, 09:19 »

Awesome!

You have to have 5 machines LANed up in your living room though?

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jun 2014, 12:57 »

Awesome!

You have to have 5 machines LANed up in your living room though?

Think so?  Full disclosure, the times I've done it, the LAN was hooked up by my buddy whos a systems engineer for VMWare, so like, Im not sure if you can do it with less machines.  I just brought the beer.

Though I've only used PCs and laptops before, apparently version 1.7 even works on smartphones, so I doubt its too onerous.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Eclypx

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2014, 12:06 »

Despite coming across this years back I've never been in a situation where I could set it up. Pretty interesting concept though. I'm sure it could have been a hit back when LAN parties were a thing with my circle of friends. Interesting to hear it supports phones and the like now.

Good to see you posting BTW Gottii - hope life is good  ;)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2014, 01:09 »

Doing good E.  Miss you and all the other ReAw/Luti peeps.  Some great times.

Hope all is well with you, and thank you for never letting anyone know I lost that Zealot in such a stupid, stupid way....
― Isaac Asimov

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2014, 11:43 »

I saw that was was curious if they needed to be LANned or if it ran over the net.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2014, 07:07 »

In the FAQ it says it can be played over internet, I think. Dev/designer also says that's not how he envisioned it being played of course. Interestingly they also mention a small forum-based community of people designing and uploading mission files so you can play it almost like a TV show episode with different goals, etc. :)
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2014, 07:24 by Ollie »

Bayushi Tamago

• Lady of Many Faces
  • Clonejack
    • Threaded Pixels
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2014, 22:27 »

Ive only seen it played at a couple local conventions myself where it is all run over a LAN since all the necessary equipment is set up in advance.
Its lots of fun listening/watching people play though :)

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2014, 16:27 »

Can I play the space pirate? I could shoot all of you with water guns and take your pizza.

(Dread Pirate Kohiko likes extra cheese, please.)
Will work for pretty sig.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2014, 15:08 »

I think there's just enough weed and booze going around the LAN parties I frequent to get people to play this...
-OOChé

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2014, 17:50 »

Played this at a recent LAN-party, and had fun doing so. It is technically possible to play it solo on one machine.

I may give playing it over the internet a try too.
-OOChé

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2014, 20:22 »

I was just saying how I pictured my own character as being my entire ship's crew. Instead of the capsuleer being one 'uber' brain training engineering, gunnery, navigation, and so on, I would actually be training the skills of my entire ship's crew.

This ARTEMIS is interesting. While it may, or may not be practical for EVE, I wonder if it might be a way for an EVE corporation to become 'members' of ONE ship's crew. Instead of 'clueless newbies' being frustrated in the length of skill training, and having to wait a year to 'actually play EVE', they could specialize in one aspect, such as gunnery or engineering, and become immediately useful to older, more experienced players.

It might be a way to even up the playing field a bit, and lessen the steep learning curve. If you are new to faction war, you could tag along as part of an experienced ship pilot's crew, helping to 'micromanage' the modules as you learn the ropes from more experienced players.

For the older players, their skillpoint trees would be separated into NPC character crew, and those NPCs would always follow them around.

Newer players could focus on skilling up one specialty to five, such as Engineering OR Gunnery OR Navigation, and five players could form into one ship together (like Voltron).

This would allow them to compete against older, more skilled up players. Newer players could also fly bigger, better ships sooner in the game. It would also encourage a more social form of play.

Of course, to keep it interesting, something like Engineering would have to become a sort of mini-game like hacking. There would also have to be some sort of advantage to having live players as ship's crew, as opposed to the NPC ship's crew that we presumably have now.
Currently training Verbosity to level V.