Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Vherokior tribe is a splinter tribe from the Starkmanir tribe? For more, read here.

Author Topic: 6 Week Expansion Schedule?  (Read 2093 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
6 Week Expansion Schedule?
« on: 03 May 2014, 07:40 »

Did any of you hear more about how this works?  Basically no more twice a year releases, but 6 week 'mini' expansions all year around?

This seems to be going in line with their regular expansion tactics for the last few years of iterative changes instead of feature dump at once.

Thoughts?

Desiderya

Re: 6 Week Expansion Schedule?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2014, 07:51 »

For some reason they spent around ten minutes explaining what can be explained in one, two sentences.

Smaller updates every six weeks, varying sizes, allows content to be shipped out when it's ready and a, say two week, delay doesn't mean something getting pushed back half a year. It also means that smaller fixes (The UI stuff from Karkur/Punkturis was cited as an example) will get deployed faster, and reacting to changes will be quicker as well. Obviously size will vary and things like f.e. the industry changes will enter the game step by step instead of all at once.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2014, 07:53 »

I like it, but I'm going to laugh once they run out of Titans to name them after. CCP are terrible at naming expansions already, how will they cope when they have to do it all the time? :D

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2014, 08:06 »

Might be hard for marketing to differentiate these between 'expansions' and 'patches' though.

Publius Valerius

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2014, 08:18 »

For some reason they spent around ten minutes explaining what can be explained in one, two sentences.

This is my feeling for the EVE Keynote (truthfully I havent seen not much other stuff.); that minor things are just mention. For Apocrypha they had rework scanning and the UI too.... But this was not mention, because it was so minor and non-important that it could mention with one line. There where so much, Wormholes, Sleepers, Tech III, Lore, and so on. Now, I have the feeling that this minor stuff is alittle bit hyped. :( Maybe more is to come? Or it is so many small things** that it is as much work as a major leap?

___
** Module/Meta change (1), Mordus Ships  (2), New ORE frig (3), and new Tournament ships (4). New station skins (5), ship skins/customization (6) and warp in/out effect (7).

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2014, 08:30 »

Remember that the main thrust of the summer release is industry, and we'd already been told about that.

Also keep in mind that they often save some :big reveal: for the CCP Presents keynote later today.

Publius Valerius

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2014, 08:35 »

Remember that the main thrust of the summer release is industry, and we'd already been told about that.

Also keep in mind that they often save some :big reveal: for the CCP Presents keynote later today.

True, most likely we will see there also a new trailer!?! :)

Edit: As for the Expansion Schedule, I like it. I think it will work better in the long run.

Publius Valerius

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2014, 11:46 »

True, most likely we will see there also a new trailer!?! :)

Edit: As for the Expansion Schedule, I like it. I think it will work better in the long run.

This is my feeling for the EVE Keynote (truthfully I havent seen not much other stuff.); that minor things are just mention. For Apocrypha they had rework scanning and the UI too.... But this was not mention, because it was so minor and non-important that it could mention with one line. There where so much, Wormholes, Sleepers, Tech III, Lore, and so on. Now, I have the feeling that this minor stuff is alittle bit hyped. :( Maybe more is to come? Or it is so many small things** that it is as much work as a major leap?

___
** Module/Meta change (1), Mordus Ships  (2), New ORE frig (3), and new Tournament ships (4). New station skins (5), ship skins/customization (6) and warp in/out effect (7).
I take everything back. :D I think the french localization is great. I think it will change the game more then people think. Thumbs up.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2014, 11:48 by Publius Valerius »

Dessau

« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2014, 15:31 »

I agree that it seems like they were building up to this for some time. At the moment, I don't really see a downside to the 'release' model as opposed to the 'expansion' model.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2014, 02:03 »

Would be could if with the new format they could try to make the "Expansion" that will happen after future fanfests bigger in compere to those 9 other ones.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2014, 04:07 »

You know, from a flavour perspective, I actually approve of this a whole lot. New Eden's a fast-moving world and the fact that new ships, modules and technology only get released on a suspiciously regular twice-yearly basis doesn't make all that much sense. I mean, for balance reasons they can't release only one race's ship in a new ship class first (which would make the most sense - the weight of historical evidence tends to be that either the Caldari or the Minmatar come up with something new and then rush it to market, the Gallente release their own version of it second after a few weeks of polish and the Amarr almost always trail in last place). The new update schedule will allow them to release new content (i.e. ships, modules, technology upgrades) more regularly, which better reflects how fast-moving science and technology is in New Eden.

From an out-of-character perspective, it's pretty much a logical evolution of the "Expansion 1.1" system they've been using for a long time anyway - we've been receiving smaller updates and bursts of content roughly every six weeks for a while now.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2014, 07:22 »

More importantly from my point of view, it means that lore developments might start getting more balanced if they don't have to be used as marketing for named expansions.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2014, 09:43 »

Also, interestingly, the new PvE design tools are due to be completed just -after- Kronos, per the CSM minutes. I suspect we're going to start seeing rapid (well, -any-) iteration on PvE content, in addition to all the other chaos that'll follow.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2014, 12:54 »

Finally found the damn picture. I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

The red and green lines were to show the old production style, where they would have to wait 6 months (or whatever) if they missed the deadline on a feature before they could ship it. Now they can do it whenever it's done.

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2014, 17:47 »

Might be hard for marketing to differentiate these between 'expansions' and 'patches' though.

They made a point during the presentation that they are now 'releases' rather than 'expansions' this means that if one release if big enough it might get a lot of marketing thrown at it, while other smaller and less weighty ones will not be bothered with.

I welcome this move and looks to be a much better model for CCP to have looking into the future.

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.