Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Crystal Boulevard' of Caille is both a high end shopping center and a vast shield of manufactured diamond for bunkers underneath?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Security Detail  (Read 4624 times)

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
Re: Security Detail
« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2014, 01:32 »

Well, anyway, RPing the security detail is cumbersome. It also doesn't make sense to have the bodyguards speak for any reason unless the person in question is playing The Godfather and doesn't speak your language (but we have translator implants for that, and I believe that's part of a healthy capsuleer implant package). Put them outside, or have two/capsuleer stand around the dining table glaring at each other like it's some kind of stand off while you folks discuss shady matters over a candlelit dinner. Perhaps have one of the bodyguards be the food taster or something in case of poison.

Oh, yeah I suppose you could have actual characters be the detail. I was thinking of when people just throw in a couple lines stating they have baseliner bodyguards following them, etc. This seems to be what most people are implying when they say they have details, that it is part of their crew or something.

So, putting unwashed Marines into business suits and have them follow the capsuleer around?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2014, 06:20 »

I have been RP'ing Aya as having a security detail for quite some time.  Usually they remain outside the establishment like good help.  But occasionally one or two will follow her in.

This is to both give me an out should Aya get to belligerent or I have to go to bed.  And also to prevent every bob and tom from trying to RP fight a kameira for kicks or w/e.

Plus, bodyguards are classy.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2014, 07:29 »

I have been RP'ing Aya as having a security detail for quite some time.  Usually they remain outside the establishment like good help.  But occasionally one or two will follow her in.

This is to both give me an out should Aya get to belligerent or I have to go to bed.  And also to prevent every bob and tom from trying to RP fight a kameira for kicks or w/e.

Plus, bodyguards are classy.

I figured that capsuleers aren't that special far as Minmatar go, and I like to give Elmund a bit of an everyman feel...until you put him in a room full of engine-parts in various states of disrepair. So no security details, no bodyguards, dress like a normal dude...except with high collars or hoodies every time all the time. In case of rough situations, fall back to military training and...fall back.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2014, 07:45 »

I figured that capsuleers aren't that special far as Minmatar go

Correct.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2014, 08:31 »

A nice suit, skin patches to cover your socket plugs, and a corporate security detail. If you're Caldari, most authorities assume you are part of the Executive class, or even higher. Especially if you have IDs that are vague or clever enough to fake it.

Katrina walks around with a security detail, but she does so in a way that makes her blend in as one of the Caldari upper classes. She's also extremely careful about baselining in the State.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2014, 08:48 »

I figured that capsuleers aren't that special far as Minmatar go

The Republic is really cool like that.  See how Aya and other Matari RP'ers defer to Kyllsa for example.  And RPing baselining in the republic is probably the funnest RP I have done.  Always a blast being able to be openly Capsuleer and not confined to a capsuleer-only joint or treated like Gallente bieber.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2014, 08:57 »

If Nico meets other capsuleers, she doesn't take security with her. If she expects she would need security for meeting other capsuleers, she doesn't meet. At home at her estates, she doesn't run around with security details either, nor does she take security with her to her monastery retreats or if she goes to church (she does so mainly in said moastery or in the church on her estates anyway).

So, there are few occasions where she is accompanied by bodyguards and where capsuleers could see her with bodyguards. Also,she's supposed to be able to deal with minor annoyances.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2014, 09:06 »

A nice suit, skin patches to cover your socket plugs, and a corporate security detail. If you're Caldari, most authorities assume you are part of the Executive class, or even higher. Especially if you have IDs that are vague or clever enough to fake it.

Katrina walks around with a security detail, but she does so in a way that makes her blend in as one of the Caldari upper classes. She's also extremely careful about baselining in the State.

This makes sense. There are various bits of PF that mention the State can be wary about capsuleers baselining in the wrong situation.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 12 Mar 2014, 09:11 »

So overall, it seems like a bit of a split. Some do, but many that do leave them outside to avoid the attention or wanting to deal with the owner of an establishment. I think we should all have characters start bringing them so owner's have to put it in their MOTD - a weapons ban doesn't say anything about unarmed bodyguards/meatshields.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #24 on: 12 Mar 2014, 09:13 »

This makes sense. There are various bits of PF that mention the State can be wary about capsuleers baselining in the wrong situation.

Yes, which is why I'm sure to RP that Katrina has to apply to get some travel permits with the authorities, inform what superiors need to know of her plans, and arrange to have some falsified passports issued to her. It wouldn't be difficult to get some, and she isn't going through the black market. She's getting these "passports" issued by the actual authorities at a heavy cost to her.

If she's rich, and they need money, and all she's doing is going to the mall to buy a new bra... why wouldn't the government want to give her a fake passport that's valid for a day at the cost of several million dollars?Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 12 Mar 2014, 09:17 »

Yes, which is why I'm sure to RP that Katrina has to apply to get some travel permits with the authorities, inform what superiors need to know of her plans, and arrange to have some falsified passports issued to her. It wouldn't be difficult to get some, and she isn't going through the black market. She's getting these "passports" issued by the actual authorities at a heavy cost to her.

If she's rich, and they need money, and all she's doing is going to the mall to buy a new bra... why wouldn't the government want to give her a fake passport that's valid for a day at the cost of several million dollars?Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

I suppose that is a way to work around it, though IIRC the lore that talks about not wanting capsuleers intermixing too much with baseliners usually refers to it specifically in major areas (Jita, etc). I'm not sure extra shenanigans would be required for more average places.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #26 on: 12 Mar 2014, 12:43 »

A weapons ban doesn't say anything about unarmed bodyguards/meatshields.

Or jewelry.

Or handbags.

Or nanobots embedded between layers of fabric or skin.   Oh, this?  You like my blouse?  The design's sound sensitive:  it changes when the music does.  The other?  Just a mood-sensitive tattoo.  Wouldn't touch it if I were you, though.  I'm pissed off right now -- though not at you -- and when that happens, I can be ... a little toxic.  Your lips just went numb?  Oh, I'm sorry.  Who do I need to call?

Or holographic Furbys.

(Yeah, there's probably a reason my characters don't get out much.)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 12 Mar 2014, 13:31 »

Esna tends to rely on simply going incognito first and brute force second, because if you are trying to rely on a small team using brute force to keep you safe in a significantly hostile environment you're going to have a bad time.

That said, he did have one bodyguard who accompanied him significantly more often; in this case, emoting the guard (or lack thereof) wasn't an issue, as Rin is another player. Though she's not his official permanent bodyguard anymore, she's still very security-conscious around him.

Aside from that - when it came to clubs, bars, lounges, etc. I always imagined that his guards would mainly opt to lurk inconspicuously just outside the entrance.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 12 Mar 2014, 13:35 »

Esna tends to rely on simply going incognito first and brute force second, because if you are trying to rely on a small team using brute force to keep you safe in a significantly hostile environment you're going to have a bad time.

That said, he did have one bodyguard who accompanied him significantly more often; in this case, emoting the guard (or lack thereof) wasn't an issue, as Rin is another player. Though she's not his official permanent bodyguard anymore, she's still very security-conscious around him.

Aside from that - when it came to clubs, bars, lounges, etc. I always imagined that his guards would mainly opt to lurk inconspicuously just outside the entrance.

Yeah, the inconspicuous aspect makes sense. I've always imagined it similar to celebrity bodyguards or secret service - their main job is really just as a meatshield while the client gets away more than anything else.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #29 on: 12 Mar 2014, 16:02 »

Now I'm more interested in the conversations between all the bodyguards and close personal protection all loitering around together just outside the door to every capsuleer establishment. Or no conversations at all, because an intelligent protection detail would not want to drop accidental intelligence falling into other's hands. Or maybe they would, because their employer directed them to drop misinformation into their rival's hands via innocuous discussions.

Mmm. Schemes and schemes.

Unless they're all just standing there staring at each other in silence behind their sunglasses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3