Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sansha ships originally armored tanked?

Author Topic: Massively article on RP  (Read 3231 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Massively article on RP
« on: 27 May 2010, 21:44 »

Another roleplaying article, this one on Ten things I hate about RP.

The article should really be called '10 things I hate about bad RP', I suppose.

Shal Firestorm

Re: Massively article on RP
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2010, 22:25 »

Another roleplaying article, this one on Ten things I hate about RP.

The article should really be called '10 things I hate about bad RP', I suppose.

Man I'm so sick of these articles, it's always around the same 10 stuff and it's the same circlejerk in the comments about how only the writer is the right kind of RPer and it all can just be summed up with 'man, screw other RPers, amirite?'

I love how the very first one on the list is "AAAAH VAMPIRES I HATE THEM ALL SO MUCH THEY ALL SUCK" and the second was "AAAAH MULTIPLE TOONS USED FOR ONE CHARACTER", those are just two hilariously petty and stupid complaints that literally have zero effect on the writer other then their own rage.

Maybe it's because I'm a CO and CoH roleplayer but that stuff is just so tiring to read by now.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2010, 22:39 »

http://www.massively.com/2010/05/16/eve-evolved-sansha-abduction-live-event/

I'm even mentioned in it \o/

But I mean, there are people out there that love live events, interactive rp/gaming, etc.

Vieve

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2010, 04:42 »

This does not stop people from completely violating commonly existing social standards. People who have no idea how to run a business, teach in a classroom, stand trial in court, spy on people, or walk their post in a military manner should not create characters who can do these things.

I don't know whether to wince or start laughing.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2010, 04:44 »

This does not stop people from completely violating commonly existing social standards. People who have no idea how to run a business, teach in a classroom, stand trial in court, spy on people, or walk their post in a military manner should not create characters who can do these things.

So...in effect do not do anything you can not do in real life then? Tell me what roleplaying is about again as i have seemed to miss something here....

And nice one about stand trial in corp, i can see many prepare for a professional career in that....

Vieve

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2010, 05:35 »

I think the article author was going more for the "if you haven't at least seen x done on t.v., don't do it" approach.  Or, okay, I hope he was.  I don't know about you, but I've never been a starship pilot in real life. 

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2010, 07:01 »

This is what comes to mind about the author and his general attitude when I read this article;

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7521044027821122670#

:lol:

Other than that it takes quite a bit when I have to raise my brow in "wow, that guy is pretty fooken bitter"... And most of it seems to stem from the fact that chicks liked VtM more in his youth than they did of Rifts.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2010, 08:11 »

So...in effect do not do anything you can not do in real life then? Tell me what roleplaying is about again as i have seemed to miss something here....

No, he's saying have a clue about what you're doing. Many of us have done research for roles; I once played an amputee soldier with PTSD. So as not to mock those who have actually suffered, and because it mattered to me, I spent a lot of time trying to understand what that means before playing the character.

And I do think that having some understanding of, say, leadership and organization helps when running an EVE corp, etc.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2010, 11:12 »

I don't know about you, but I've never been a starship pilot in real life.
When I was a kid, I had this cool silver starship.  Shit was so cash.  Except the computer couldn't remember my name, kept calling me "Navigator."  That was kinda lame.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Vieve

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2010, 11:27 »

When I was a kid, I had this cool silver starship.  Shit was so cash.  Except the computer couldn't remember my name, kept calling me "Navigator."  That was kinda lame.

Wow, that sounds so cool!

When I was a little girl, I was just trying to breed mutant dandelions who'd eat my classmates.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2010, 13:05 »

Yeah, that sucks.

I had a cool super secret agent friend, named Jack Flack.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2010, 13:10 »

Yeah, that sucks.

I had a cool super secret agent friend, named Jack Flack.

You had a secret agent friend? I just sat around playing with my computer. His name was Joshua and he could play some fun games.

Jalenar Frost

• Clonejack
  • Green Meany
« Reply #12 on: 06 Jun 2010, 18:00 »

Hey, I liked that movie.  Sequel sucked though.

On topic: yes, Author seems rather bitter and judgemental.  Also, seems to sorely need to read a few of the recent theads on here.  (RP my way or I will rage!!!)  Though some are somewhat valid.
"The difference between a warrior and an ordinary man is that a warrior sees everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man sees everything as either a blessing or a curse.
-Don Juan; A Seperate Reality

Jozana

• Clonejack
  • Invicta. (Cry Havoc.)
« Reply #13 on: 08 Jun 2010, 05:41 »

Trolls are everywhere....