Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the ISHAEKA Reports warned about the Sansha Nation Incursions possiblily occuring.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Ukraine  (Read 14385 times)

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
Re: Meanwhile in Ukraine
« Reply #120 on: 03 Mar 2014, 12:13 »

State of the situation right now:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Hahaha... don't wory we won't wardec Russia  ;)
Funny but politician are rather calm even those most anti-russian ones.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #121 on: 03 Mar 2014, 12:19 »

US has "All options on the table" according to Kerry.

Whatever that means in the end. I have to admit that this is the first potential conflict in my adult life that I have felt at all hawkish on. Not sure I like that feeling.

Desiderya

« Reply #122 on: 03 Mar 2014, 13:20 »

It looks like the eastern and southeastern areas are incredibly unhappy with the 'revolution' and how it ended up with someone putsching themselves up into presidency, voiding agreements made between opposition, president, EU and russia regarding re-issueing the constitution and calling for new votes within 24 hours after making them. I'm not at all surprised about the escalation and the lack of focus on flimsy things as nice words and trust.
There's a massive disparity in interests regarding the EU and general support of the euromaidan protests/revolution when you look at the Ukraine from west to east. Those who did not support the revolution are now feeling left out and fucked over, regardless of how much an ass the former president might've been, and who are they going to look up to? The EU was quick to acknowledge the new government, so there's the other neighbour. If you can 'annex' a region without firing a shot or suppressing the populace, how bad can it be?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #123 on: 03 Mar 2014, 14:05 »

Looks like meanwhile Putin is doing military drills with MLRS stuff on Finland border.

Whatever that means in the end. I have to admit that this is the first potential conflict in my adult life that I have felt at all hawkish on. Not sure I like that feeling.

Same.

Both parties should just cut Ukraine in half and get done with it. Easy to say just like that ? Probably.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #124 on: 03 Mar 2014, 14:08 »

I am quite pleased the US is staying relatively uninvolved. I hope it continues that way.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #125 on: 03 Mar 2014, 14:53 »

I'm rather mixed on the intervention front. On one hand, hurrah! We're not being aggressive and jingoistic! On the other hand, Putin is playing chicken with the usual diplomatic game, and is highly unlikely to yield under diplomatic pressure-- especially when the Brits are already known to not want to cut trade with Russia, and most of Europe is dependent on Russian natural gas.

The only way this is resolved in any way other than Crimean secession (and possibly a Ukrainian split) is with European intervention.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #126 on: 03 Mar 2014, 14:57 »

I am not saying that the EU should not intervene, though I think that is likely to be unwise as well, but I am quite sure that the US should not have any direct involvement.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #127 on: 03 Mar 2014, 17:11 »

There are other gas resources, like Quatar or... Iran. Though that would sure as hell make gas prices skyrocket.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #128 on: 03 Mar 2014, 18:02 »

Lyn; there are always economic issues when there's supply instability. And considering that the infrastructure is already in place for gas imports from Russia, delivery will be a lot more expensive and time-consuming from other suppliers.

Jace; please note that while I'm from the US, I'm not normally hawkish. However, in the case of Russia, I've watched over the years as Putin has engaged in successive campaigns in Chechnya, Abkhazia, and South Ossetia-- always ostensibly to protect Russian nationals, but ultimately in a way to weaken and destabilize former Soviet republics. The Crimean campaign is similar, follows immediately after the overthrow of a pro-Russian government, and very conveniently secures a warm water port that the Russians have been interested in since the 1850s.

Without support for Ukrainian territorial integrity, Russia will once again engage in military adventurism in contravention of international law. What will stop Russia from puppeting the next former Soviet republic to face instability or public unrest?

I mean, I hate to invoke Godwin's Law, but 'Peace in our time!' didn't work the last time...

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #129 on: 03 Mar 2014, 19:43 »

There are other gas resources, like Quatar or... Iran. Though that would sure as hell make gas prices skyrocket.

Or the US/Canada...  as usual there is a distinct lack of integrated thought processes and messaging by the politicians, which should be telling the special interest to sit down, STFU, and listen to the integrated plan.

I am not saying that the EU should not intervene, though I think that is likely to be unwise as well, but I am quite sure that the US should not have any direct involvement.

Map of EU next to Map of NATO (in Europe -Canada/US)

The EU does not have a military.  When Europe goes to war, it is dependent on its ally the United States for a variety of reasons.  Libya and Mali both show this. Armed European intervention will be US-supported intervention, quickly followed by US intervention (because invasions of the Baltic states triggers Article 5).

Quote from: Makoto Priano
Without support for Ukrainian territorial integrity, Russia will once again engage in military adventurism in contravention of international law. What will stop Russia from puppeting the next former Soviet republic to face instability or public unrest?

It is even broader than just Russia.  An unwillingness to support Ukrainian territorial integrity indicates that the US is unwilling to stand by its past word (see 1994 treaty).  What happens if Iran invades Iraq (again)?  How about an escalation between China and Taiwan?  Is being an ally of the United States enough to dissuade regional powers from doing as they please?

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #130 on: 03 Mar 2014, 22:39 »

It is none of our business, just like Iraq wasn't, North Korea isn't, repeat ad nauseum. The US needs to stop being the world police, whether it is for arguably legitimate reasons or the past imperial reasons. From Central America to Bosnia to Sudan, we get involved over and over when we should not. It has to stop sometime, if it is to stop at all.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #131 on: 03 Mar 2014, 23:37 »

It is none of our business, just like Iraq wasn't, North Korea isn't, repeat ad nauseum. The US needs to stop being the world police, whether it is for arguably legitimate reasons or the past imperial reasons. From Central America to Bosnia to Sudan, we get involved over and over when we should not. It has to stop sometime, if it is to stop at all.

It would be nice.

Rome didn't decide upon empire.  It sought to defend its borders and trade interest.

A stable Mexico, South America, etc helps keep the United States stable (borders).
A stable Balkans, MidEast, Eastern Europe, etc helps keep Western Europe stable (borders & trade).
A stable Korean Peninsula, China Sea helps keep the region stable (trade).

There is a reason we are not as involved in sub-Saharan Africa: lack of borders/trade.

Vikarion

« Reply #132 on: 04 Mar 2014, 01:58 »

We defend our trade interests, and lose more than those interests are worth. Let's be honest: Putin could take Paris, but we'd be the only major market to sell to.

We should, in my opinion, withdraw from NATO, and from almost every other treaty. Let China, Russia, and etc., try their hand at empire. It's worth less than the cost of maintaining it. And those countries have crippled their population growth by one-child policies and social nihilism, not to mention by authoritarian regimes that are very unpleasant to live under. Let them try for regional domination, and let them die in the attempt, while we, the United States, continue to grow by immigration and assimilation. Do that, and India and the U.S. will inherit the earth. 
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2014, 04:09 by Vikarion »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #133 on: 04 Mar 2014, 09:16 »

Do that, and India and the U.S. will inherit the earth.

With solid effort, India and the U.S. could inherit the Solar System.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #134 on: 04 Mar 2014, 09:23 »

Looks like there's already been an economic backlash for russia, and I don't think the west actually bothered to do anything. The ruble and various other russian indexes dropped like a brick yesterday until trading was suspended. Will probably drop some more today.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12