Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Society for the Conservation of State Traditions is a fiercly nationalistic Caldari lobbyist organization that unleashed a scathing rebuke of PIE Inc. pilot Kostantin Mort in late YC106.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Amarr and scientific clergy  (Read 7124 times)

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
Re: Amarr and scientific clergy
« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2013, 18:06 »

Amarr Empire: a bit like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZnDt2wEFjk

Okay maybe not. ;)

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2013, 18:39 »

Culturally though it's easy for me to see how inescapable the Amarr faith is within the Empire. You're exposed to it at home, you're exposed to it at schools by teachers who might themselves be part of the theological institution and you're exposed to it in a society where there is no separation between the State and the Church.

It certainly makes for an interesting mindset where everything about the faith and the scriptures is normalized.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2013, 19:09 »

Yeah, for sure. So I guess the answer to the original question is "yes."

Additionally, those millions of tomes of scriptures? The EVElopedia article does state:

Quote from: Scriptures - EVElopedia
They are not limited to just religious dogma; they describe everything from out-of-date codes of behavior to early technological breakthroughs.

It goes on to describe recent additions to said scriptures, likely consisting of everything from commentary on previous works to original studies in mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, medical journals, probably pieces on psychology and even humanities, all ranging from theoretical to objective in nature. Then there's probably more priestly commentary on top of that, more additions, more revisions, more discoveries ... all of which apparently brought the Amarrians to where they are, from whatever they began as.

It's an interesting framework in New Eden, science and theology co-mingled, where growth in one field offers expansion in the other and they are presented to be the same.

e; With some further thought, seems the only major thing that hasn't changed for the Amarrians since becoming stranded on Athra is strict monotheism, with the inclusion of prophets proclaiming such. Old tenets have been shifted or been forgotten and new ones arose, with the Reclaiming right at the forefront of the Amarrian modus operandi.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2013, 19:58 by Safai »

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2013, 20:30 »

Well one way I've always thought the Amarr have merged science and faith/theology is in the fact that they're described or presented as being the Empire that has an extremely deep grasp of high-energy and theoretical physics to the point they're able to build fancy things like advanced tesseract capacitor systems. If for the Amarr, science is one means to describe God's universe I don't think it's out of the question they'd try to understand his creation inside a particle accelerator since it's not about trying to make the science fit the dogma.

The fusion between the scriptures and science is an interesting topic to me -- just imagine for one, the Amarr must have the greatest repository in anthropology, sociology and the humanities given the thousands of years of practice they've had assimilating and studying varied cultures that have been subjugated and brought into the Imperial fold.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #19 on: 28 Nov 2013, 20:43 »

Yeah, +1 well put.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2013, 00:52 »

This is why I always do  :roll: whenever people try and attack the Amarr IC for being sort of fundamentalist luddite idiots in our modern Earth sense; they were mastering particle physics and space travel when most of the other Eve races were running around flogging each other with sticks.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2013, 06:30 »

If a lot of Amarr RPers were less prone to obscurantism also, it would help to alleviate those attacks a bit... It's on both sides.

Some are attracted to play Amarr just for the Deus Veult, some are attracted to troll Amarrians because of atheist evangelist crusades...

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2013, 09:31 »

This is why I always do  :roll: whenever people try and attack the Amarr IC for being sort of fundamentalist luddite idiots in our modern Earth sense; they were mastering particle physics and space travel when most of the other Eve races were running around flogging each other with sticks.

The Amarr, during the Reclaiming when the power of the church was at its highest in the Empire, went from starting with simple wooden sailing ships and metal swords in 20078, to discovering gunpowder and clockwork during the Udorian Reclaiming in 20236, to having telephone cables, steam warships and electricity in 20445, to the start of the Amarr Space Program in 20569.

All of this, whilst fighting a global religious war.
\o/

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #23 on: 29 Nov 2013, 11:09 »

The Amarr, during the Reclaiming when the power of the church was at its highest in the Empire, went from starting with simple wooden sailing ships and metal swords in 20078, to discovering gunpowder and clockwork during the Udorian Reclaiming in 20236, to having telephone cables, steam warships and electricity in 20445, to the start of the Amarr Space Program in 20569.

Amarr are suddenly amazingly awesome.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2013, 11:15 »

What do you mean suddenly? :(

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2013, 11:29 »

Or because they were fighting a global religious war...

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #26 on: 29 Nov 2013, 12:13 »

Or because they were fighting a global religious war...

You know, it sort of makes sense the Amarr faith doesn't have science and religion at odds with each other if one considers that during the time they were reclaiming all the other people on Athra they couldn't afford to deny technological advancement if their enemies were doing the same.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 30 Nov 2013, 06:02 »

I do disagree with the statement that there are not others beyond evangelical atheists who establish a dichotomy of science and religion.  In the United States, ...

I don't think the "evangelical Christians" want/work to establish a dichotomy between science and religion, but a relationship of science being subservient to their religion. But you have a point there.

Yeah, for sure. So I guess the answer to the original question is "yes."

Additionally, those millions of tomes of scriptures? The  does state:

Quote from: [URL=https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Scriptures
Scriptures - EVElopedia[/URL]]They are not limited to just religious dogma; they describe everything from out-of-date codes of behavior to early technological breakthroughs.

It goes on to describe recent additions to said scriptures, [...]

It's an interesting framework in New Eden, science and theology co-mingled, where growth in one field offers expansion in the other and they are presented to be the same.
[...]
[...] If for the Amarr, science is one means to describe God's universe I don't think it's out of the question they'd try to understand his creation inside a particle accelerator since it's not about trying to make the science fit the dogma.

The fusion between the scriptures and science is an interesting topic to me -- just imagine for one, the Amarr must have the greatest repository in anthropology, sociology and the humanities given the thousands of years of practice they've had assimilating and studying varied cultures that have been subjugated and brought into the Imperial fold.
[...]
The Amarr, during the Reclaiming when the power of the church was at its highest in the Empire, went from starting with simple wooden sailing ships and metal swords in 20078, to discovering gunpowder and clockwork during the Udorian Reclaiming in 20236, to having telephone cables, steam warships and electricity in 20445, to the start of the Amarr Space Program in 20569.[...]

All this is why, if someone goes "I have skillbooked all this stuff in my brain, that's certainly much more stuff than the Amarr Scriptures" I go :roll: - because what they skillbooked there is just a tiny part of the Scriptures.

Also +1 to all these posts.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2013, 10:00 »

You know I've seen very few Amarr characters making use of a very nifty clause in the Scriptures when dealing with r/atheist types -- the, "I do not specialize in that area of the Scriptures," escape.

For example:

"All you Amarr are evil due to slavery"
"I'm sorry, I'm only trained in Scriptural astrophysics and not in the Scriptural study on the duties of a Holder."

"All you Amarr are evil due to your religious reclaiming."
"I'm sorry, I'm only trained in Scriptural anthropology and for a more in-depth and insightful elaboration upon Scriptural military codex doctrines I'm afraid I must refer you to a Paladin."

Etc.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2013, 11:02 »

Good idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4