Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ushra'Khan is the oldest active alliance in New Eden.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: US and Caldari  (Read 8362 times)

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
Re: US and Caldari
« Reply #30 on: 02 Nov 2013, 18:44 »

Every bloc is pretty much the same with that tbh.  How Amarrian mains play Amarrians are definitely different than how people who haven't read the swaths of PF percieve them.

And yeh Gallentes all wear transparent clothes and Caldari and jackboots and minmatars are screaming heathens.  Till you talk to them and learn about them IC.

That's that roleplay is.  Its not just reading the PF but also interacting with people who portray it in different ways.  And then the fun part is getting interesting and soemtimes hilariously wrong views of a culture.

For example, Ari is nearly convinced that if youre attracted to someone in Caldari culture, you should punch them in the face to show it. ;)

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 02 Nov 2013, 19:02 »

Closer to reality than you'd think.... :)

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 02 Nov 2013, 21:05 »

Hmm.. may one day need to practice my left hook. >.>

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 02 Nov 2013, 22:11 »

Why, Doctor!

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #34 on: 03 Nov 2013, 05:57 »

I have seen a few posts in this thread that make assumptions which are patently untrue about the Caldari. Other posters have then built off these assumptions, and part the discussion seems to now be taking them for granted.

Isn't that something that happens within all factions though?

Few people really look into the backstory/research/PF of a faction that isn't their own.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Kunarian

• Clonejack
« Reply #35 on: 03 Nov 2013, 06:18 »

I have seen a few posts in this thread that make assumptions which are patently untrue about the Caldari. Other posters have then built off these assumptions, and part the discussion seems to now be taking them for granted.

Few people really look into the backstory/research/PF of a faction that isn't their own.

This is true to a degree, Amarr and Caldari are what excite me in EVE and I generally look into them deeply, when it comes to Gallente I look into them a bit and then with Minmatar I'm generally absent.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #36 on: 03 Nov 2013, 08:36 »

I usually take a look in most, though I still have one demographics article to read thoroughly I think...

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #37 on: 08 Nov 2013, 09:58 »

For example, Ari is nearly convinced that if youre attracted to someone in Caldari culture, you should punch them in the face to show it. ;)

Considering the track record of three of my characters, they should all be convinced that if a Caldari kills you, they must really love you.   :D

(Maris, however, is way too sane for that nonsense.)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 Nov 2013, 16:19 »

Nah, I was actually basing it off Cyberpunk 2020 and William Gibson's body of work in the Cyberpunk Genre.

Shadowrun was fun to play and an interesting universe in its own right but it wasn't pure CYBERPUNK imo.

As far as Cyberpunk 2020 goes I think you are overlooking Militech, Petrochem, Network News 54, Diverse Media Systems, Microtech, Trauma Team International and the Lazarus Group. Or at least those are the ones that quickly come to mind as largely US originating megas.

The dystopia in that game isn't nasty foreigners taking over the USA, it's nasty humans destroying their world and being horrible to each other in the name of power. Oh and forgetting to be human at all.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #39 on: 09 Nov 2013, 03:56 »

Nah, I was actually basing it off Cyberpunk 2020 and William Gibson's body of work in the Cyberpunk Genre.

Shadowrun was fun to play and an interesting universe in its own right but it wasn't pure CYBERPUNK imo.

As far as Cyberpunk 2020 goes I think you are overlooking Militech, Petrochem, Network News 54, Diverse Media Systems, Microtech, Trauma Team International and the Lazarus Group. Or at least those are the ones that quickly come to mind as largely US originating megas.

The dystopia in that game isn't nasty foreigners taking over the USA, it's nasty humans destroying their world and being horrible to each other in the name of power. Oh and forgetting to be human at all.

I should probably look into this. I love topics that goes along the lines of "what does it mean to be Human" because there is no clear answer to that question and likely never will be.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #40 on: 17 Nov 2013, 07:59 »

I thought with all the love of State authoritarianism, corporate oligarchs, military conscription, intolerance towards minorities and homophobia the Caldari are in fact modern Russia?

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 Nov 2013, 08:54 »

I thought with all the love of State authoritarianism, corporate oligarchs, military conscription, intolerance towards minorities and homophobia the Caldari are in fact modern Russia?

Which, if true, would be deeply ironic given the Finnish associations. I can see your point though.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #42 on: 17 Nov 2013, 16:37 »

Which, if true, would be deeply ironic given the Finnish associations. I can see your point though.

I was joking, because it's really quite easy to draw parallels with the game factions and the real world. Such as:

Caldari lived on a world surrounded by snow.

Icelanders live on an island surrounded by snow.

Caldari are Icelandic.

It's just apples and oranges stuff.

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #43 on: 18 Nov 2013, 06:09 »

I still insist that Singapore = RL Caldari State. <_<

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #44 on: 18 Nov 2013, 06:14 »

I still insist that Singapore = RL Caldari State. <_<

You are serious? Singapore only has one megacorp: The Singapore Government. There's no competing megacorps on this island.
Deep sea fish loves you forever
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4