Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That some Minmatar pilots have a tradition of gifting Rodj Blake's corpse to newly-weds?

Author Topic: [Character] Red Roman Joringer  (Read 607 times)

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
[Character] Red Roman Joringer
« on: 23 Sep 2013, 22:05 »

[/begin transcript]

[/cue: ch 25 reg holo advisory]

[announcer:]  Warning, this program contains graphic images of violence and re-enactments of real violent acts.  Some viewers may find this content disturbing.  Viewer discretion is advised...

[/exe: episode 17] [/engage: light 1] [/cue music: title music 1] [/pan: holo pattern 12]

[announcer:]  Live from the Channel Twenty-Five Studios in Rens, this is...

[/cue video: title card 1]
NIGHTMARES
THE FACES BEHIND THE CRIMES

[announcer:] This week, the face behind the worst single-handed act of terrorism in Minmatar space.

[/cue video: cf 1] [/engage: lights 4] [/cue music: cut music 2] [/cue video: joleen name card 1]

[joleen:]  Good evening, I'm Joleen Guyasta, and welcome to Nightmares, the Faces Behind The Crimes.  Now, we've shown you murders and serial killers responsible for sometimes hundreds of deaths.  Men wanted by their own governments for millions of ISK.  Well now I will tell you a different story.  About a man that isn't on any wanted list, but whose actions we're all familiar with.  Scenes we remember every time we board an interplanetary flight...

[/cue video: cf 2]

[/cue video: cf 3]

[joleen:]  We know the statistics.  We've heard stories about the passengers, their remarkable courage in the face of imminent death, and the captain's brave decision to save millions of lives by sacrificing his own and those of his passengers.  But most of all, we've heard the name of the man responsible.

[/cue music: jump music 3] [/cue video:  rr surv 1]

[joleen:] Red Roman Joringer.  Most people know he is the son of Turgan Joringer and Amala Joringer, and was destined to be a brilliant engineer.  What went wrong?  What turned a brilliant computer programmer and mechanical engineer into the perpetrator of the worst single-handed act of terrorism in Minmatar space, possibly even the entire cluster?  How could someone go from beloved member of the Sebiestor community to mass-murdering vigilante?  You wouldn't think it would start here, in Eddar.

[/cue music: down home 1] [/cue video: rr montage 1]

[joleen:]  Roman was born to two of the most famous names in Minmatar space, right here in little Ceivan Station, Eddar.  Turgan Joringer is famous as the inventor of the thermal warp coil, the coil that gave the Minmatar Republic their own warp drive.  Amala Joringer was one of the programmers who brought us the Matari transys communication network, the one we use every day we transfer a com call or download a holo.  Their five children all went into engineering and computer design.  But one was special.  One did both, and did both so well that not only was it said he was better than the other children, but would also be better than even his famous parents.  Roman Joringer was born fourth, but by fifth grade, he had already caught up to his oldest brother.  He had finished high school with perfect honors by fourteen.  He even completed his first post-graduate education at seventeen.

[/cue video: rr speech 1]

[joleen:]  That was Roman at eighteen, receiving his second doctorate in computer science.

[/cue video: rr montage 2]

[joleen:]  By this time, Roman had built his first drone and starship from scrap parts.  He had won the Sebiestor Interstellar Society design competition and had come as a runner up for a Clusteral Science prize.  Jacoby Sanx Perias voted for him to win that prize.

[/cue video:  jsp 1]

[jacoby:]  Of course none of us knew at the time what would come of him.  He was brilliant.  The most brilliant mind of his generation.  While he was sitting in the audience, he didn't even look up when I announced he had come second.  I looked down, and he was just tap-tap-tapping away at that tab.  He was blending encryption so I kind of looked down for a second to see what he was seeing... and I'm looking at my autocue.  Now, at the time, I don't think he was being mean, or anything.  He didn't change anything.  He just wanted to get into our system and look around at everything.  I mean, he probably knew he'd lost before we got to that announcement. (chuckling)  I mean, I knew when I opened the envelope, so he probably knew before I did.

[/cue video: rr montage 3]

[joleen:]  It looked like Roman and his siblings were destined for great things.  He was already becoming famous around the cluster.  No one knew how famous he would be.  But what turned such a promising young scholar into a terrorist infamous throughout the cluster?  One of his professors recalls his experience with him.

[/cue video: tk 1]

[thord:]  I remember them bringing him into the office with another girl, and she's... you know... sobbing her eyes out.  And I ask what's the problem, and his teaching assistant tells him to fess up.  And without even skipping a beat... and I mean... you could see the anger, you know?  Just staring daggers at her the whole time he's saying this.  He tells me, she'd started arguing with him about some small thing.  She decided to get even by breaking into his school account and deleting some bit of his work, you know how students kind of mess with each other.  He'd found out about it somehow... I don't know, I thought our inner system was unbeatable.  He spent a month getting ready for this.  He talked... at length... about how he'd broken into everything, gotten every picture of her, was watching her on CCTV.  He suddenly broke all her work, released all her personal pictures from her life, ruined her financials.  I mean, he completely crushed her life.  She refused to press charges, probably because she just wanted to disappear at that point.  I mean, he'd made all her private things public.  Her fiancee left her, parents were angry, all her friends were trying to be supportive but...

[joleen:]  It sounds... I mean, I know it was mean, but that sounds like he wasn't remorseful at all?

[thord:]  That wasn't the worst of it.  I mean, she was bullied.  It wasn't like the other students helped.  And she...

[joleen:]  What happened?

[thord:]  (sniffles)  She killed herself.  She was just a sweet girl that had gotten angry and done something stupid.  She didn't deserve that.  And I called him into the office and told him what had happened.  That he'd caused this suicide.  You know, that this was really his fault.  I guess I expected him to, you know, at least feel a little bad about it.  He didn't.... he just... he smiled.  He told me, "Well, you're not going to be able to send me to jail for killing her.  She took care of that for me.  You can't pin a... pin a **** thing on me," he said.

[joleen:]  And... was he laughing or...?

[thord:]  No, just... pleased.  Satisfied.  I just... (sniffles)  I keep seeing his eyes.  He just stared straight into mine and you could see this coldness.  This evil....  I mean, I knew his father.  He wasn't like that.  I know his mother was so precious.  I just... I don't know where it came from.  I was scared.  I mean... I'm a man but.... really scared.... yeah....  I knew that kid was going to hurt somebody someday.

[/cue video: rr montage 4]

[joleen:]  Nobody knew how truly evil he could be.  But the spark that would ignite this bomb was about to come not from another student, but a tribal dispute.

[/cue video: brut-seb stock montage 1]

[joleen:]  At the time, the Brutor and Sebiestor tribes were sparring over the rights to taxation in Eddar.  Cargo was being lost as the tribes began to grow more and more tense.

[/cue video: tjaj montage 1]

[joleen:]  The Joringer family, long residents of Eddar, suddenly were drawn into the confrontation.  Their orbiting platform, their laboratory and life's work, were sitting on a station suddenly on the front lines of a tribal riot.  Brutor frigates arrived and ordered the platform to disengage and be towed away.  A neighbor, who asks us to hide his identity, describes what happened.

[/cue video: neighbor anon 1]

[neighbor:]  And these guys... like... told them they had to go.  And they said, we ain't goin' noplace, you know?  So, these guys put a couple rounds into the thing... you know how you do?  Trying to scare them, I guess.  But they had some crazy **** you know?  Must have hit something, because it blew the whole thing up right off the station.

[joleen:]  And they died?

[neighbor:]  Yeah, it was gone.  You know... there was nothing left.

[joleen:]  Who was home?

[neighbor:]  All of them.  Not Roman or Tolly but... you know... other than that.  Like, all his family.  And they were nice people, they didn't deserve that ****.  Really.... Sebiestors and that but... you know... nice people.

[/cue video:  rr ops 1]

[joleen:]  Roman called his tribal representative to ask for retribution.  It was only a sign of things to come.

[/cue video:  stock wreck 5]  [/cue audio: rr seb com call 1]

[roman:]  What the **** do you mean you can't do anything?

[volk:]  Look, we have to do this the right way.  We can't start a war with another tribe right now, Roman.

[roman:]  There's already a ****ing war!  You aren't going to let this go!  You ****ing aren't!

[volk:]  We'll get them, we'll get them.  They were scaring them, it was an accident.  They'll get turned over.

[roman:]  Oh, like **** they are!  Do you think I'm a ****ing idiot?

[volk:]  Roman, just let me handle this, or you're going to get people hurt!

[roman:]  HURT?  I'M GOING TO ****ING KILL THEM!

[volk:]  Calm do-

[roman:]  I'M GOING TO ****ING KILL THEM ALL!

[/cue video: rr ops 2]

[joleen:]  While the Sebiestor worked behind the scenes, no one knew that Roman's revenge was already in motion.  The next day, he attacked a drone part transport ship, killing the crew and stealing the wreckage.  At the time, the Sebiestor were in a difficult position.  Representative Volk Galnes recalls the situation.

[/cue video: vg 1]

[volk:]  I mean, we thought that was his revenge, and we kind of liked it.  You have to remember we were still sorting out some things then.  The Brutor kind of pushed us around a bit.  They were like that, and that was just how it was in that time.  So we were sitting there, kind of thinking to ourselves, "Yeah, finally one of us took a shot back at the big guys and let them know we weren't just going to get pushed around."  We didn't want a war, but... it kind of felt good in an eye-for-an-eye way.

[joleen:]  And... you thought that would be it.

[volk:]  We thought you know what, they're avenged.  They lost a bigger crew, lost a lot of technology, he'd made his point....  We thought he'd made his point.

[joleen:]  Did you know what he was going to do?

[volk:]  No, none of us did.  He did it completely on his own somehow, so nobody knew what he was going to do.

[joleen:]  Would you have stopped him if you knew?

[volk:]  Absolutely! That.... I mean it wasn't good between the tribes, but we have other problems.  It's... it's just too far.  Nobody was going to go that far.  Nobody.  We didn't think Roman was going to do anything else....

[/cue video: rr ops 3]

[joleen:]  Nobody knew.  Nobody was told.  Nobody had any way to stop what was coming because nobody had any clue what horrors the man who would come to be known as Red Roman had in store.  No one knew that the raid on the cargo freighter Galleon was only meant to steal supplies.  Among the inventory aboard the Galleon were repair parts for official in-flight repair drones.  Repair drones bound for the Rens VI Brutor Tribe Treasury.  Because there were no limits, at the time, on being so close to a planet, it did not orbit a moon.  Most stations did not.  Everyone thought it orbited at a safe distance.  They had no reason to think they were too close to the populated planet.

[/cue video: rr ops 4]

[joleen:]  It was only afterwards that the investigators realized what was done.  Somehow, Roman broke the security codes for one of the most secure stations in the cluster.  Instead of using it for information, or to cause travel chaos, Roman used it to infiltrate the station grounds.  He secretly removed a repair drone and replaced it with a facsimile he had built himself.  Investigator Chon Phrent recalls the precision.

[/cue video: chon 1]

[chon:]  I mean, this thing was perfect to the last detail.  Nobody would have been able to tell it apart, it was that close.  I mean, right down to the serial numbers inked on the cabling was there, and he had to make that from scratch to make this work.  It's... it's unreal.  We'd never dealt with something like that before.  Since he was in the code, he just changed the information he needed so this thing would work.  Once he got it in, he just waited, because we call those drones automatically for repair jobs.  I mean, there was no way he could have known what he was going to end up being sent to fix.

[/cue video: rr stock 12]

[joleen:]  We might not remember him so well if his false drone had been called to repair a destroyer or a freighter.  Certainly, his drone was called twice and performed its repairs on a skiff and a passenger frigate in the meantime.  The drone spent four days waiting, so Roman must have been nearby, telling it when to strike.  So it is hard to imagine what he felt when he got his drone's third call.  A ship was having warp drive issues and had issued a call for a routine check.  The ship was the forty crew and two-thousand, five-hundred and fifty-six seat passenger cruiser, the Catalana Faye.

[/cue video: cf 4]

[joleen:]  The Catalana Faye was a once-weekly express line between the Brutor Tribe Treasury seated then just next to Rens VI and the Brutor Tribe Bureau at that point located near Frarn VI.  Such a ship was always packed with passengers, as this route is always bustling with business.  Particularly Brutor business, but not every passenger was Brutor nor even Matari.  It had traveled the route for years, and had not recorded a maintenance issue in over nine months.  Suddenly, this one week, with a full passenger load, a warp fluctuation stalled the warp drive.  Though it was likely nothing was wrong, it was customary to at least check it.  It was this ship that finally received Roman's false drone.

[/cue video: chon 2]

[chon:]  The trap was set.  And.... and I wonder what he thought.  I mean, surely, he must have thought to call it off.  These weren't the Brutor that had killed his family...  These weren't the people that hurt him.  Did he think, maybe not this time?  Maybe this was too much? ... I guess whatever he thought... you know.  I don't think I could do it, no matter how angry I was.  That's.... that's why he's just... pure evil.  That's all I can say, you know?  Only someone truly evil would go ahead with this plan.

[/cue video: cf 5]

[joleen:]  What happened next will live on in infamy for the rest of our days.  The Catalana Faye was captained by Calban Satkary, a veteran of 60 years of commercial flying.  His words are the most haunting memories we have of those days.  Even he did not know what was to come.  As the drone began to perform diagnostic checks, Roman began a series of scripts, most filled in by hand in the few minutes he had.  Authorities estimate that it took him only four minutes to break the double-layer encryption and sieze control of the ship's engine system.  Satkary had no chance of stopping what was to come in time.

[/cue video: cf 6] [/cue audio: cf crash 1]

[control:]  Flight 9K80, power flux, confirm?

[satkary:]  Negative con.... Confirm control, compensating.

[control:]  Brake, brake 9k80!

[satkary:]  Lockout, control!  Lockout!  Hard reboot... (static)  Warp fired!  (static) Compensating!

[control:]  9k80 location?  9k80 confirm?

[satkary:]  Control, atomsphere.  We are in gravity.  Confirm?

[/cue video: cf 7]

[joleen:]  The Catalana Faye had been ordered, by the drone, to fire a warp-vent burst.  With the circumstances as they were, it acted as a microwarpdrive.  By the time Captain Satkary had regained control by shutting down the computer, the ship had flown too close to the gravity of the planet.  The control tower attempted to call tugs to pull the massive carrier out of the planet's gravity, but could not without endangering their own pilots.  What happened next showed the bravery of the captain.

[/cue video: cf 8] [/cue audio: cf crash 2]

[satkary:]  Control, estimated point of contact?

[control:]  Airburst in thirty.

[satkary:]  Over Hakuraye?

[control:]  We've got time.

[satkary:]  No time.  I'm going to give the passengers fifteen minutes to call.

[control:]  9k80, do not ditch!

[satkary:]  No option, control.  Keep informed.

[/cue video: cf 9] [/cue audio: cf crash 3]

[satkary:]  Control, status?

[control:]  Just hold on!

[satkary:]  No time.  We'll be over Hakuraye in fifteen.  Setting a course to ditch.

[contol:]  Alter!  Alter!

[satkary:]  Negative, I'm not killing those people!

[control:]  BREAKUP!  BREAKUP!

[satkary:]  It's done... Tell.... tell their families I'm sorry.  I... there's no other way.

[control:]  9k80?  9k80..... 9k80 ditched.  Naught out....

[/cue video: cf 0]

[joleen:]  All souls aboard were lost as the ship crashed into the ocean.  The tsunami killed a further eighty people, but had the ship airburst over the city of Hakuraye, hundreds of thousands might have died.  The atmosphere was severely damaged and the ecology took a year to recover.  And the man responsible?  He was nowhere to be found.  In the days that followed, Roman was finally discovered to be the culprit.  By the color of his hair, to try to make sure he was discovered more quickly, they gave him a nickname.  The Brutor Investigation Bureau called him, "Red Roman."

[/cue video: rr montage 5]

Red Roman disappeared, and left two tribes in shame.  The Sebiestor refused to give him up, but newly released documents reveal that the representatives did not even know where he was.

[/cue video: vg 2]

[volk:]  We had no idea.  We didn't know what was happening and when we heard about the attack, we all went white.  I mean... so many dead.  It was... it was insane.  There's no way.  How... how could he, you know?  But he was a tribesman, so we couldn't even tell the Brutor that we didn't know where he was.  We had to protect him at the time.  I mean, none of us wanted to but... that's.... that's just how it was.

[/cue video: stock 22]

[joleen:]  Eventually, this act finally brought the two tribes together for peace talks.  It was not known where or what Roman was doing at the time.  He could have been planning another attack.  It was necessary to stop this from escalating.  Roman could cause even more death and destruction.  The eventual peace talks produced clearly defined boundaries between the tribes.  The Brutor officially pardoned Red Roman.  In return, the Sebiestor evicted him from the tribe, casting Roman Joringer, son of legendary engineers that built the Minmatar Republic into what it was, out of the Sebiestor forever.

[/cue video: rr montage 6] [/cue music: wanted 1]

[joleen:]  Since then, Red Roman has been suspected of performing almost a dozen acts of espionage across the cluster.  It is thought that he has become involved in terrorism-for-hire as a hacker and engineer.  Though not limited to the Republic, he is suspected of having committed most of his serious crimes against the Republic.  Though there is not enough evidence for a warrant in any system, he is wanted for questioning in many systems across the cluster.

[/cue video: rr images 1]

[joleen:]  When he was last seen "Red Roman" Joringer was five feet, seven inches tall and weighed one-hundred sixty-five pounds.  He was in excellent fitness.  He had red hair styled into dreadlocks, green eyes, freckles, and a straight-line face tattoo.  It is thought he has no other distinguishing marks.  It is unknown where he is, but it is suspected that he has been granted access to capsuleer technology.  He has incredible technical expertise and may be constantly moving, using aliases or different names.  He should be considered armed and dangerous, even to those who are not physically in his presence.  If you have any information regarding Red Roman Joringer, use comline 6698-8888-9898 to Nightmare at Channel 25.  Do not attempt to confront him directly.

[/cue music: outro 1]

[joleen:]  That's all for this week on Nightmares: The Faces Behind the Crimes.  I'm Joleen Guyasta.  Goodnight.

[/pan: holo pattern 14] [/kill: light 1] [/end episode 17]

[/cue ch 25 reg holo end]

[announcer:]  If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this program, please visit our information site at channel25.nightmaresFBC.affected for more.

[/end transcript]