Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Guristas co-founder Jirai Laitanen, also known as Fatal, was podded in YC106, but suffered from severe memory loss and motor impairment because he only had an inferior clone on standby.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What I learned in Eve is...  (Read 3706 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: What I learned in Eve is...
« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2013, 18:33 »

You Obviously Love Owls?

No, "You Obviously Loathe Owlbears!"

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2013, 18:50 »

NOW I AM A BEAUTIFUL BRIDE

Vikarion

« Reply #17 on: 18 Sep 2013, 22:55 »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

NOW I AM A BEAUTIFUL BRIDE

Okay. What in the ever loving fuck is that.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2013, 23:08 »

It's a metaphor for: "I learned I can't pay attention to serious games."

Vikarion

« Reply #19 on: 25 Sep 2013, 00:02 »

Well, hmm.

I think the first thing I learned about Eve is that you can only get hurt by it if you care about it too much. The second thing I learned is that I don't really care about losing ships - an attitude that leads to fun, in the Dwarf Fortress sense...and the third thing I learned is that it is hilariously gratifying to destroy other people's hopes, dreams, and spaceships.

The fourth thing I learned is that the third thing is mostly fun if you get people to dislike you, to feel slighted by you, or to trust you. The happiest moments I had in Eve were those of sweet, sweet revenge, violencing the boats of those who already felt victimized by me, and smilingly telling people the truth in ways which led them completely false, while assassinating their friends.

Oh, and I also learned that RP is fun, but that I royally suck at it. And that I sometimes get a little too...eager to advocate for my chosen faction.

Overall, Eve has been good to me.

Reyd Karris

« Reply #20 on: 25 Sep 2013, 02:00 »

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."

Removing someone in a strategic sense is easier if you aren't their enemy. Give enough information and disinformation to have someone doubt any word from you is wonderful in establishing that baseline confusion that can be used to royally fuck with someone's head. If you give any encouragement at all, they second guess themselves. In that confusion, you ascertain exactly what their intent is and you are more easily able to redirect them to another, less intrusive, course of action.

For instance, pointing out that Rogue Drones, Sleepers and Jovians have a connection without actually saying the connection poisons any potential mention of said connection down the line. If such a revelation is integral to certain strategic RP goals, establishing that "connection" early and as confusingly as possible makes sense. Make sure you know the connection; otherwise, you'll cause more damage to your own cause than you do to anyone else's.

Oh, and I discovered that few people are familiar with Tilden's Laws, and if they are, they fail to see how they relate to EVE and Rogue Drones specifically. If they did, Rogue Drone RP might be a lot more colorful and vibrant than simply, "I talk weird and have strangely inefficient methods of interaction and pursue goals that are seemingly against any logical rhyme or reason."

:twisted:

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #21 on: 26 Sep 2013, 01:43 »

1. Never undock anything you cannot afford to lose.
2. Only undock ships if you have the replacement of said ship in your hangar.
3. The market never sleeps
4. Marketeers have too much free time
5. If he is on-grid, is not blue or not a known-friendly, and is in a combat ship, he is up to no good.
6. When in doubt, shoot it. When still in doubt, shoot it again.
7. If you are going to overheat two modules in the same slot category most of the time, for the love of all that is good, don't put them side-by-side.
8. Anything big has hard time hitting anything small that isn't stupid enough to fly in a straight line. Unless that big thing has rapid light missile launchers.
9. Kill drones if you can't kill the boat.
10. If the boat has too much tank, kill the drones anyway.
11. Persistence pays off
12. There is such thing as 'too persistent'.
13. Divide and conquer.
14. Always be prepared to be surprised.
15. Learn to laugh in the face of tragedy. You will feel better.
16. Mining is best done with a good book, a good friend, a good cat, or a carton of good beer. 
17. Contrary to popular belief, there are girls on the internet.
18. Always spend on things that can make you more isk. Buy hugely expensive implants with leftover money.
19. People who do bad things aren't necessarily bad people.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2013, 02:09 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2013, 06:16 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQlJ3vOp6nI

I'll just leave this here....

Vincent Pryce

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 26 Sep 2013, 09:49 »

what i've learned has already been mentioned, but there is one thing makes the most impression to me

People itself make life cruel, grimm and hopeless.....life in itself has not such nature.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 26 Sep 2013, 09:52 »

Things I learned....

1.) Its probably best to assume strangers want to hurt you.  They just dont know how yet.

2.)  Pirates dont like being killed by RPers...

3.) Silence as you loot their wreck is the best smack

4.) There are real life girls who play EVE.  A lot of them fly ECM, for some reason.

5.)  "Docking request accepted" means, really, "yeah yeah, it could be 5 secs, it could be 5 mins"

6.)  What happens right after a pilot loses a ship will determine if he will be a good PVPer or not.

7.)  Pilots that cant laugh a lot, in particular at themselves, will break in combat.

8.) One interesting, smart, and driven enemy is worth more than a dozen friends.

9.) People will whine about anything.

10.)  Morons exist in every country.

11.) This game is driven by the threat of loss.  Without that it gets boring.

12.)  Drakes are the EVE version of the Toyota Camry.  Solid, dependable, probably safe to assume driver is kinda boring.

13.) I secretly hated and feared Drakes cus my Vagabond/Cynabals could do nothing to them solo.

14.)  The bigger the breasts on the avatar, the less likely the character is played by a real life woman.

15.)  Brutor Drama Club = best club

16.)  The war for profits in the market is, by far, the most intense and ruthless PVP out there.

17.) There is no better feeling than undocking in your first Rifter you saved up for.

18.)  Being an FC is an odd mixture of military commander, scout, entertainer, and cat herder.

19.) No plan survives contact with the F1 button.

20.) Kyber will betray you!
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2013, 09:54 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Mister Screwball

• Wetgraver
    • http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7203/eatingevidencez.gif
« Reply #26 on: 26 Sep 2013, 10:17 »

Things I learned....

3.) Silence as you loot their wreck is the best smack

20.) Kyber will betray you!

Dear god yes to this

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #27 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:07 »

2.)  Pirates dont like being killed by RPers...

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #28 on: 27 Sep 2013, 07:58 »

What I learned is that it is as easy to find a group of likeable people who enjoy roleplaying as an entertaining activity in its own right in EVE as it is in real life.
\o/

Vikarion

« Reply #29 on: 27 Sep 2013, 23:34 »

What I learned is that it is as easy to find a group of likeable people who enjoy roleplaying as an entertaining activity in its own right in EVE as it is in real life.

So...pretty difficult, then? :-P
Pages: 1 [2] 3