Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rogue Drones are drones that operate outside of human control, pursuing some mysterious goal of their own?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GTAV  (Read 1622 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
GTAV
« on: 17 Sep 2013, 03:37 »

Hello!

So who got it? I went to my local supermarket to buy a copy right now, and it's installing atm. I got the PS3 version, and I'm looking for people to play with when the online component goes live.

I would have loved to buy a 360 version since a lot of my old friends are getting it for that, and would have been fun playing multiplayer with them (especially that everyone who owns a 360 will also own a headset), but c'est la vie. Instead, I look forward to playing with some of you guys, at least those who have a PS3

EDIT: oh, and I of course can be added on PSN as 'Seriphyn'
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2013, 03:43 by Seriphyn »

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Re: GTAV
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2013, 09:44 »

Made a relevant post in another thread: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=5021.msg86493#msg86493

Unfortunately for the moment I'm stuck in a Welsh village which is remote to put it politely, so will have to wait till later to pick up my pre-ordered edition from GAME.

Also, I dread to ask, is there an extra fee to play online? The dreaded "season pass"
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2013, 11:18 »

Don't think so. Online isn't active right now.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2013, 12:33 »

I played GTA Vice City back in the day and found myself bored after a few hours. Never been interested in the series since.

Alternatively, I enjoyed Saints Row IV.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2013, 12:48 »

Not really my cup of tea... :/

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:20 »

Not really my cup of tea... :/

Splendid. At least you have others to choose, though the industry is rather bland these days.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:32 »

I don't find it bland. I've played lots of different things lately.

Splinter Cell: Blacklight - Modern, political thriller with stealth action.
Gone Home - Modern domestic drama played by searching through a house and interacting with objects.
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - Survival horror in Industrial Revolution era England.
Skyrim - Open world RPG set in Norse-inspired epic fantasy setting.
Saint's Row IV - Open world action game based around the president of the US being a gang leader trapped in the Matrix and trying to conquer an alien overlord.

Previously this year, I've played BioWare: Infinite and Far Cry 3, and I hope to pick up the Last of Us and Tomb Raider at some point.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2013, 14:23 »

I don't find it bland when you know where to look at. Though that's for another topic.

And yes I really loved The Last of Us (the story, not the gameplay, which is rather bland indeed), I loved the feel and story of Bioshock Infinite (except the wtf ending which is just lazy self-imbued writing, really frustrating after so much good before), and really liked Tomb Raider too.

A lot of good games this year.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2013, 02:53 »

I played GTA Vice City back in the day and found myself bored after a few hours. Never been interested in the series since.

Ditto.  Got sidetracked finding cool bikes for a time, then just gave up on it and uninstalled.  I like Just Cause 2, but there's something of a different aesthetic there.  And besides, hijacking a helicopter in mid-air never gets old.

Ollie

• Egger
GTAV
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2013, 01:21 »

Carolyn Petit at Gamespot gave it a review that was pretty high on praise but also noted the game as having an "unnecessary strain of misogynistic nastiness running through it".

Based on the limited time I've spent with it so far it's undoubtedly misogynistic but I don't know that any of it's been "unnecessary". This might be a better post in the other thread on these boards relating to sexism and the like in gaming, but to me it seems that if you're going to have a cinematic game based around the criminal activities of two sociopathic former bank robbers and a third former gang-banger looking to upgrade his own underworld activities there's probably not too much justification for them behaving in a way that doesn't embody some form of sexism.

Am I wrong about this? Does the game's misogyny come across as unnecessary or not consistent with the game's premise to others?
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2013, 01:25 by Ollie »

Vikarion

« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2013, 01:48 »

Carolyn Petit at Gamespot gave it a review that was pretty high on praise but also noted the game as having an "unnecessary strain of misogynistic nastiness running through it".

Based on the limited time I've spent with it so far it's undoubtedly misogynistic but I don't know that any of it's been "unnecessary". This might be a better post in the other thread on these boards relating to sexism and the like in gaming, but to me it seems that if you're going to have a cinematic game based around the criminal activities of two sociopathic former bank robbers and a third former gang-banger looking to upgrade his own underworld activities there's probably not too much justification for them behaving in a way that doesn't embody some form of sexism.

Am I wrong about this? Does the game's misogyny come across as unnecessary or not consistent with the game's premise to others?

I haven't played GTA V, but I have played some of the others, and I have to admit that it doesn't really matter to me whether I am playing a male or female character - I'm still going to plow through crowds of pedestrians, beat hookers over the head with baseball bats for cash, see how far my car can fly, try to kill as many cops as possible, and gun down drug dealers for phat loot. And then I will get bored and go back to Eve or Minecraft.

IOW, the GTA-verse is such a twisted, funny version of our own that I don't really take anything in it seriously.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2013, 03:02 »

IOW, the GTA-verse is such a twisted, funny version of our own that I don't really take anything in it seriously.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it. Saint's Row setting even more so. To me the review - and a few other reviews which have taken a similar view - seemed to not quite 'get' that.

Shiori

« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2013, 03:31 »

It's certainly no Ride to Hell or RapeLay, and not inconsistent with the rest of the GTA series. If it didn't bother you before, it won't bother you now. I take the criticism has been less about torches-and-pitchforks, and more weary disappointment at missed opportunities. :)

Funny you mentioned Saint's Row IV - it's held up by some as an example on how you can be inclusive and do a violent, satirical piss-take on just about everything. (see e.g. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7916-Neutered)
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2013, 03:39 by Shiori »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2013, 09:54 »

So, any PS3 users who want to play Online then?

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2013, 01:42 »

Criminal cutlture is generally misogynistic. Women usually are not let in the gangs and when they are they are fucked in. "Fucked in" means they are practically gangraped by the gang members which in turn makes them gang bitches and not really full fledged members. Rarer case is the jumped in which is what the male members go through. They savagely beaten by full members and then given their colours, women getting this choice is rarer among street gangs, though.

Then there is the case of more refined or structured criminal elements such a MCs and various types of mafias which do not allow female members as a rule apart from few rare exceptions.

Not to say there ain't a few female only groups out there but they are more the exceptions than the rule and they get no special treatment.

So, no. I imagine GTA V is not needlessly misogynistic, these people who get professionally offended need to get their politically correct heads out of their politically correct asses and recognize that if you wish to tell a compelling story and emulate the culture you can't go off making it My Little Cartel: Crime is magic. If you find it to be offencive so fucking what, don't play the game and steer clear of the game. It's not like you get leprosy if you get offended.

Still waiting on the PC release.
Pages: [1] 2