Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kyoko Sakoda interned with Omerta Syndicate? Read more here.

Author Topic: How does one draw in a RP community.....?  (Read 4857 times)

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger
How does one draw in a RP community.....?
« on: 02 Sep 2013, 14:18 »

so for those who don't know - i started DUST OOC about maybe a month ago in a attempt to draw in the Duster RP community, so far we are slowly growing, yet getting most of the people to RP is difficult - especially trying to get people into the IC channel i had set up

i just made THIS post https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=106466&find=unread as a attempt at it

But how did OOC get so active as well as summit? come on! spread da knowledge o' bitter vet

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: How does one draw in a RP community.....?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Sep 2013, 15:38 »

I count myself as someone who does "very light" RPing in eve, i create a believable background to my character, to my corp or for the activity i do (and enjoy) within the game.

In essence, i give an RP context to my actions in-game. However, i dont engage in live RP as often since it requires a bit more effort on my part to do so.

Therefore speaking from that angle and experience, you could tell your dusters pals to come up with explanations of themselves and their work that fit within the DUST514 universe and don't fall onto the "mary sue" and "unique snowflake" category. That first step into creating an RP story line for their characters usually kickstarts the next phase.

Galm Fae

• Wulver / Fury / Pixy
  • Clonejack
  • Yo buddy, still alive?
« Reply #2 on: 02 Sep 2013, 17:34 »

"Special snowflakes."

>shutters

I've really been keeping an eye out for anyone with an alicorn/g-mod complex. Particularly people who insist they are first gens. Unless you played dust from the start and you earned the title in the Templar challenge, it is probably fair to say you weren't a first gen Templar. >_<

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 02 Sep 2013, 20:16 »

"Special snowflakes."

>shutters

I've really been keeping an eye out for anyone with an alicorn/g-mod complex. Particularly people who insist they are first gens. Unless you played dust from the start and you earned the title in the Templar challenge, it is probably fair to say you weren't a first gen Templar. >_<
Eh, there's a bit of wiggle room where the "first gen" thing is concerned-- at least, with regard to people claiming to have once been first gens. The Chronicle "Speaks and Walks" strongly implies that they can be upgraded to more stable versions of the tech.

As Mary Sue-dom goes, claiming to be both a capsuleer and a clone soldier at the same time seems more of an issue, and it's presently kind of widespread.

In fairness, CCP hasn't been all that good about the publicizing the "incompatible technologies" aspect of the lore.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2013, 20:18 by Aria Jenneth »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 02 Sep 2013, 20:35 »

To the original issue:

Creating a roleplay community is a pretty organic process. A lot of it is a matter of leading by example-- doing things you want others to do, doing them visibly, and making them appealing enough that they will attract others, like-minded, until the idea becomes the institution. We can point people to Backstage, we can point people to various channels, but the most important thing is that we create what we would like to see more of, in hopes of inspiring others to do what we do ourselves.

Reyd Karris

« Reply #5 on: 04 Sep 2013, 10:26 »

The EVE RP community has a rich history going back at least ten years. That's how things like Backstage and OOC/The Summit evolved.

It takes time. It's not going to be overnight, and there's going to be growing pains. Stick it out, build a legacy, and people will flock to it.

On First Gens:

As someone diagnosed with schizophrenia the whole Sleeper tech angle is easy for me to understand. Dust soldiers really don't have a full blown sleeper AI in their brains. I see it as kind of a dual awareness that comes with that crazy maladjusted Sleeper psyche fragment riding along. It's not going to be an insidious voice, unless your inner voice is insidious. Meaning, not everyone's going to turn into Sarum. Sarum also has other tech implanted as well; so yes, that little voice has more wiggle room, and probably is an AI of sorts, but it's still a special case. Not everyone is going to be like Sarum.

The tech specifically replaces a part of the brain that deals with processing memory. Meaning, you'll still be you, you'll just have a slightly skewed view on things after the surgery. You might hear a voice, somehow familiar but not, giving you advice in relation to memories you've had (see the Dust 514 fiction). Scripture verses seem to take on another meaning specific to your situation, ancient proverbs now take on a mystic quality, and those news reports you're seeing now seem to talk directly to you. You may even recall memories and somehow link those to your current situation, and find yourself going somewhere you didn't know you knew to get to.

People kind of over-think the whole Sleeper tech angle. It wouldn't give someone secret knowledge, it would just give them a slightly warped and twisted world perspective and leave them susceptible to a certain crazy Empress's machinations (unless they upgraded).

Long and the short of it, there should be no problem with playing a First Gen. The question is more, why would you in the first place, and do you know how everything in the lore well enough to pull it off without going the Mary Sue route? First gens wouldn't know anything more than they're not looking at things like they used to. THe really crazy ones would have been weeded out, so those left would be the ones that can fit in without making a spectacle of themselves. Which means they'd probably tell damn near no one who they were, and wouldn't even know what that would mean if they did.

Remember, the whole "first gen" and Sleeper tech origin of DUST troopers is supposed to be secret. Not even those suffering from the effects would know the cause. They would just know they were the recipients of prototype implants that were not working right, and that they could pose a risk to themselves and others.

Side Note:

The technology being incompatible seems like hand waving to keep people from pushing the "why isn't this for PC and why didn't you just add this to EVE?" arguments. A certain Jove demonstrated an obvious variation of the tech in an old story. He was a capsuleer. 'Nuff said.

That being said, it was a Tony G story, so grain of salt required.

Just my 2 isk.

Anslol

« Reply #6 on: 04 Sep 2013, 10:47 »

Be patient Foley. You've done good so far being the first hard-core/proactive DUST RP'er thus far. You ask questions, you check your facts, OOCly you're polite, diligent, and studious in how you conduct your RP. This puts you ahead of a WHOLE lot of people. Keep absorbing information and feedback to apply to your endeavor here. Learn from mistakes that Eve RP communities made in the past.

Also, lead by example, as has been said. You've set a glorious precedent thus far. You've rolled with punches and made Foley hilarious but believable, as in I believe that is how a DUST bunny would act. You change your character based on your interactions and let him grow. You haven't rail roaded him. That, to me, is a great example for other DUST players to follow.

Just keep doing what you're doing Foley. Just remember, BE PATIENT. You NEED to be patient for this to grow. Patient AND persistent. In the end, it'll pay off.

o7

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2013, 04:31 »

Offering something can be a big draw, for instance you can have themed weekends where you gather together ad-hoc squads for one of the Empires and run FW battles, with the chance of possibly running together with other role-player squads if you're lucky. 

In dust, more so than EVE, there are actionable outlets for your rp, but less breadth to the kinds of things that can be roleplayed actively (for instance you can only shoot people or heal them - you're notl ikely to be an engineer in rp in the same way as a capsuleer can be).  I'd advise taking advantage of this focus and concentrating on a 'no-borders' approach, where like-minded individuals can choose a FW side to join and build a few stories as they hit the planets together.