Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ladette Russeot is a Gallentean woman who in YC106, at age 17, hacked the code used by deadspace warp beacons that had been proclaimed unhackable just days before.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Receptiveness to using RL historical names in RP/worldbuilding?  (Read 4208 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Hullo,

I am just curious as to people's receptiveness to using RL names, like cities and historical figures, in RP? I thought of this when I noticed 'Samarkand Financial' of the Khanid Kingdom, which was a Persian city conquered by the Mongols IIRC (alluding to Persian influences for the Amarr and Mongol influences for the Khanid I'm guessing). There is also the Gallente(?) character of 'Berlin Ansacre' in the Stranded series on the DUST website.

I ask because I am beginning to use British and Celtic nomenclature in my own RP, because the Gallente as the "Western" faction will surely have more than just la Francais. I sort of see it as equivalent as people using overt Japanese names for the Caldari; however, because this is far from home, it is less recognizable, even if there have been no corruptions to the original word. Because English is closer to home, I was wondering if people would consider it harder to "get away with it". An example is Seriphyn naming his warships after "mythical Gallente knights"; Bedivere for an Algos, Launcelot for a Talos, Isolde for a Nemesis ('cause Tristan is the t1 version), Pendragon for a Kronos, Excalibur for a Megathron. I felt a little dirty and very abashed after mentioning that IC in the Summit. But at the same time I get the feeling no one would bat an eye at using names of, say, famous figures from a more obscure mythos.

Thanks for any thoughts.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2013, 13:06 by Seriphyn »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Inspired names are good (Ardishapur for example is named after two Persian kings). I think you should try and keep things low key, but if the name fits the culture/language, nothing wrong with it IMO. /shrug

Lyn Farel

Good question. But then CCP does it with their own ship names anyway... Especially minmatar ones.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Good question. But then CCP does it with their own ship names anyway... Especially minmatar ones.

This is very true.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Inspired names are good (Ardishapur for example is named after two Persian kings). I think you should try and keep things low key, but if the name fits the culture/language, nothing wrong with it IMO. /shrug

this.

Riordan is an Irish surname.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette

Andreus and other people arguing with Ammatar often need to use the phrase "Stockholm Syndrome," so I don't really have all that much room to complain.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

You can refer to Stockholm without calling it that, though - I've done it on the IGS with Morwen once or twice. "Capture-bonding" is the term I used.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist

CCP does this with impunity, as we all know.

Caldari players do this with impunity as well.

When I played Jesmine, all her ships were named after various females from a small handful of shows or anime that utilized 'western' names like Clare, Helene, Natalie, Flora, Priscilla, Teresa, Nola, Clarice and so on and so forth. Her explenation was that all of these were known names to have belonged to famous Amarrian women throughout the 7k or so years the Empire has existed, some were even saints.

Hell my MAIN utilizes names from anime that are more well known (such as naming every single Megathron I've ever owned Ayanami Rei) and no-one have given a shit so far - the IC explanation is even that all these ships are named after various fictional toons in animated shows found in the Fed: Yeah, to me anime is canon because a society of trillions in a libertarian "make whatever you want however you want" society would eventually make their own versions of it. Oh and, the Jin-Mei officially came up with the idea, so it's canon from CCP's eyes as well.

In short, I see no real issue here, anything you want to name your ships or toons or whatever can be justified and explained away in a variety of ways. Do as you please.

Vincent Pryce

All my thrashers are named after Thrash-metal bands. My 150mm AC thrashers are usually Angel Kreators and my arty ones Angel Testaments.

And people have said before CCP does it with impunity, majority of Gallente ships are named after pagan gods and primordials ( Phobos, Deimos, Nyx, Erebus) and spirits and some are latin words like Vexor which is the conjugation of vexo - shake, jolt, annoy, harass.

In closing, if you use RL terms, words or names for you ships no one can really give you shit for it.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

I'm fine with a ship named Pendragon but would find one named Obama fourth-wall breaking.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!

In my opinion:

Using words in the academic sense, Andreus mentioned Stockholm Syndrome, other things, scientific terms, sociological terms, etc, totally fair game because of the impossibility of using anything else.

To use actual people's names, or place names as in, you use the name in association with that person/place specifically and personally and not with the idea/event associated with the place or with that person (ref. Kreditbanken robbery in Stockholm, where Stockholm Syndrome takes its popular name) breaks the fourth wall.

Helpful diagram:
"I was recently at Stockholm" Not Acceptable
"I think Andreus is suffering from severe Stockholm Syndrome" Acceptable

Or

"I am familiar with the works of Machiavelli" Not Acceptable
"Silas Vitalia recently poisoned her rivals at a banquet, bit Machiavellian of her to be honest" Acceptable

However, one thing I believe is broadly acceptable is angrams and combinations.

Say you're making an alt, Gallente, and want a fancy-pants name. But you don't want to spend an hour reading Homer's Odyssey/Old Maori Legends/The Tale of the 47 Ronin, so you just pick two names familliar to you and combine:

"Stanislaw Olbricht" - First word taken from Stanislaw Lem, sci-fi writer most famous for the novel "Solaris", and second word taken from General Friedrich Olbricht, leading figure in the July 1944 plot to assassinate Hitler.

Also using cultural language or terms in names is generally acceptable.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2013, 16:13 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!

I've always just made an assumption that there was a sort of cultural translation happening: We already assume that our characters are speaking interstellar Gallentean or Napaani or whatever, despite the fact that we're actually communicating in English. Why not assume that when we see "Ashurbanipal", it's actually referring to some ancient king from one of our races history in the cluster?

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

There's enough of the real world's history/culture in the game and its PF to give me the sense that many terms and references have survived in the various languages despite their origins being completely forgotten - the distinction between mention of Machiavelli and use of the adjective Machiavellian (posted above) being a perfect example.

Seems legit to me.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran

I now feel much better about naming Aria's home region Silla (pronounced "Shilla," it's the name of an ancient Korean kingdom), and much less like I ought to change it.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

The general delineation I make is:

Using names derived from RL things, outside of other context: Usually cool.

Using names of RL things, in the context of their RL usage: Usually not cool.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4