Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That light pits, used to hold ships in place, are filled with complex electronic equipment, have no safety boundaries, and are lit with a dim blue light when not in use? (The Burning Life p. 77)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: [News] Heth Turns Terrorist Arc  (Read 8444 times)

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
Re: [News] Heth Turns Terrorist Arc
« Reply #75 on: 10 Jul 2013, 10:36 »

From an outside point-of-view, I don't understand the reason CCP felt that Heth needed to get away; I've only been here a couple of months and there's been a decent precedent for killing major NPC characters off already.  The whole getting away thing just seems rather forced and if CCP was looking for a way to create an outlaw Provist group, I think they could have still done it while having Heth captured and/or killed at the battle for the station.

Heck, if they really wanted to split the State (cause, you know, :grimdark:), have Heth captured by the CEP.  Then during a trial (or whatever they wish to do) have a Heth-loyalist sect storm the place and attempt to free him.  The attempt could even fail, Heth dies, becoming a martyr for the Provists who flee Caldari space and setup as a new 'pirate' faction bent on avenging their fallen idol.  Just my thoughts.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Lyn Farel

« Reply #76 on: 10 Jul 2013, 12:46 »

A stance on microtransactions ?

Monaclegate.

See, I read Lyn's response as a wisecrack about how monoclegate was caused by CCP not understanding the 'micro' part of microtransactions... ;)

More on a sarcastic statement about people happy to play with gameplay "microtransactions" but doing an outrage on cosmetic macrotransactions. A good show of scapegoats and justifications for other motives.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #77 on: 10 Jul 2013, 19:55 »

I'm jsut headed to bed, but latest news item seems to put the last nails in for the CPD: http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/cep-dissolves-state-executor-position-provists/
Translation of the news piece:
"You got it wrong, Tony G. All wrong."

Especially the part where the CEP goes into detail in describing how having an Executor Role is highly "non-Caldari" and "... was a mistake that should have never been made."

I read that and thought, not sure if its "non-caldari", but given that caldari DO what is neccesary not what is "correct", then it was perfectly acceptable to see a single human having full control of the state at a moment of need.

Therefore, i took the statement as something said by someone negatively affected by the whole Directorate issue.

It is not highly corporate, which for a corporate Caldari State is synonymous with non-Caldari.  It also doesn't make a lot of sense when the big 8 are all run by... Chief Executive Officers.

So, now we are left with a war that no longer makes sense in the story, a broken State for numerous reasons (the very reason Heth came to power was it was broken and that hasn't magically been fixed or the reason for the ousting of Heth makes even less sense), and two warring factions that look very very much alike.

Galen Darksmith

• Wetgraver
« Reply #78 on: 10 Jul 2013, 22:20 »

I'm jsut headed to bed, but latest news item seems to put the last nails in for the CPD: http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/cep-dissolves-state-executor-position-provists/
Translation of the news piece:
"You got it wrong, Tony G. All wrong."

Especially the part where the CEP goes into detail in describing how having an Executor Role is highly "non-Caldari" and "... was a mistake that should have never been made."

I read that and thought, not sure if its "non-caldari", but given that caldari DO what is neccesary not what is "correct", then it was perfectly acceptable to see a single human having full control of the state at a moment of need.

Therefore, i took the statement as something said by someone negatively affected by the whole Directorate issue.

It is not highly corporate, which for a corporate Caldari State is synonymous with non-Caldari.  It also doesn't make a lot of sense when the big 8 are all run by... Chief Executive Officers.

So, now we are left with a war that no longer makes sense in the story, a broken State for numerous reasons (the very reason Heth came to power was it was broken and that hasn't magically been fixed or the reason for the ousting of Heth makes even less sense), and two warring factions that look very very much alike.

While I agree that the war has less of a reason to continue without Heth, wars are not easy things to stop.  As for the State being broken, I think the idea is that the worst of the "corrupt neoptism assholes" have been purged. Combined with (hopefully)the new leaders being wary of allowing another Heth to gain traction, and maybe CCP will actually let the State do well for once.

A stance on microtransactions ?

Monaclegate.

See, I read Lyn's response as a wisecrack about how monoclegate was caused by CCP not understanding the 'micro' part of microtransactions... ;)

More on a sarcastic statement about people happy to play with gameplay "microtransactions" but doing an outrage on cosmetic macrotransactions. A good show of scapegoats and justifications for other motives.

Gameplay microtransactions?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #79 on: 11 Jul 2013, 12:37 »

PLEX.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #80 on: 11 Jul 2013, 12:57 »

People weren't outraged at the addition of cosmetic microtransactions, Lyn. To say that suggests a very basic misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the entire Incarna debacle.

They were outraged that the cosmetic microtransactions offered had exorbitant prices ($60 for a monocle, $30 for a shirt), which were defended with absurd and arrogant logic by the developers (Zulu's $1000 pants blog), and came at the same time as an internal memo leak that seemed to advocate Pay-to-Win policies while using insulting terms such as "golden goose" and "milking the cow" for EVE's players (Fearless). All of this at the same time as a lackluster expansion that featured a buggy, unoptimized, and unfinished WiS release.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #81 on: 11 Jul 2013, 14:19 »

Like I said, I think it was mostly scapegoat arguments, red herrings, and strawmen for other griefs, which is why my last post was quite full of cynism.

Vikarion

« Reply #82 on: 11 Jul 2013, 17:29 »

Well, I was wrong about them getting rid of Heth and restoring the Caldari, and I'm glad I was. Very glad.  :D

I will admit that I still don't think that the Caldari Prime event was really fair, but I'll take the trade. I'm very happy about this, and I don't care how much crow I have to eat.  :P

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #83 on: 11 Jul 2013, 19:57 »

Well, I was wrong about them getting rid of Heth and restoring the Caldari, and I'm glad I was. Very glad.  :D

I will admit that I still don't think that the Caldari Prime event was really fair, but I'll take the trade. I'm very happy about this, and I don't care how much crow I have to eat.  :P

Galen Darksmith

• Wetgraver
« Reply #84 on: 11 Jul 2013, 22:47 »

PLEX.

I think the kind of gameplay microtransaction that people were concerned about (that I remember seeing on the forums, at least) is when you pay real life money for an ingame benefit that you cannot gain through any other method.  Given that I can make ISK quickly by market speculation (like the quick bastard who snapped up all the medium rails in Jita when the new buff was tweeted), I don't see PLEX as really giving the player anything they couldn't have gotten with a little market savvy.

As for cosmetics, I think Kat pretty much nailed the source of outrage.  The insane prices for cosmetic items demonstrated a huge amount of arrogance on CCP's part (and a display of lack of market savvy on THEIR part).  Even without Fearless, the backlash would have been there.  WITH fearless...well, you get the Summer of Rage.  And I wouldn't call any misdirection on the players part: they made it exceedingly clear that both cosmetic macrotransactions and pay-to-win gameplay microtransactions would NOT fly with them, and CCP listened.
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2013, 00:56 by Galen Darksmith »

Shiori

« Reply #85 on: 12 Jul 2013, 03:02 »

Crow meat's okay. Nourishes the soul.  :cube:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]