Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Wiyrkomi megacorporation is known for the trustworthiness and stubborn patriotism of the founding Seituoda family, who are still thought to own the controlling interest in the company?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Smart guns are here ya'll  (Read 1848 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Smart guns are here ya'll
« on: 11 Jun 2013, 15:35 »

I remember an old gunnery sergaent telling me that one day marksmanship would be an antiquated skill.  Never actually thought he would be right.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/11/news/companies/trackingpoint-gun/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Now, you too can be a sniper, hitting targets at upwards of 1000 yds.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Smart guns are here ya'll
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2013, 15:56 »

It's not really "hunting" when you're shooting at 1100 yards.

The whole point of deerstalking is tracking a deer that was spotted a couple days earlier, getting close enough to take a shot, without alerting it through noise or smells.

Also, crime/terrorism implications.
\o/

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2013, 16:02 »

I'm rather glad my ancestors didn't create elaborate codes of honor for hunting but went for the 'anything that gets it dead and in my belly' mindset.

Of course, my immediate ancestors were cattle thieves... 
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Shiori

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2013, 16:50 »

The TrackingPoint rifles, which are Wi-Fi enabled and have a color display so users can post videos of their shots on Facebook or YouTube..
This is a.. thing?

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2013, 17:27 »

Given everything else on youtube, I don't doubt it. 

Personally, I don't see much threat from your average crazy with this thing, since its so expensive.  Sounds like this is custom order, not in your average gun store thing.  Then again, I don't know guns really.  But I still have to ask why does anyone need this? 

Korona

• Friendly Neighborhood Cultist
  • Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2013, 18:42 »

But I still have to ask why does anyone need this?
Yes. Yes I do need this, because an AK-47 on deer just doesn't cut it anymore.

"EoM is an anagram of emo for a reason, dude."

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2013, 19:35 »

The TrackingPoint rifles, which are Wi-Fi enabled and have a color display so users can post videos of their shots on Facebook or YouTube..
This is a.. thing?

ladies & gentlemen i present

THE I-RIFLE

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2013, 21:45 »

Of course, my immediate ancestors were cattle thieves...

:lol:

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2013, 11:31 »

Well, there's people that shoot deer and whatnot, to provide food for themselves/family. They're not all that likely to have 25000 dollars for this kind of rifle.

The other people that shoot deer, it is for sport. Then again, there are places that have special feeding stations set up, so the deer come to the shooters, instead of having to be tracked down. I don't see the point of that either, sport wise.

Like the whole thing with fishing, the thing with tying a fly, and casting, and wiggling the thing so the fish will bite, and all that. Or just throwing a hand grenade.
\o/

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2013, 11:58 »

Well, there's people that shoot deer and whatnot, to provide food for themselves/family. They're not all that likely to have 25000 dollars for this kind of rifle.

The other people that shoot deer, it is for sport. Then again, there are places that have special feeding stations set up, so the deer come to the shooters, instead of having to be tracked down. I don't see the point of that either, sport wise.

Like the whole thing with fishing, the thing with tying a fly, and casting, and wiggling the thing so the fish will bite, and all that. Or just throwing a hand grenade.

One, does anyone besides those living out in the few wilds left actually hunt deer anymore? 

Two, red neck fishing is best fishing.  Or at least the most entertaining when you hear of some idiot who did it wrong.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:36 »

[One, does anyone besides those living out in the few wilds left actually hunt deer anymore? 

Sure.  I grew up hunting dear as a teenager on the ranch I worked on.  We had to.  Since most if not all of their natural predators are extinct, you have to cull the herds otherwise they overpopulated and destroyed their ecosystem, not to mention the pastures.

Granted, most hunters want bucks in their prime (better trophies), so most of them have far less eco-conscious goals. 

Venison is good eats, btw.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:44 »

in Scotland, more deer need to be shot. Lots more. Scottish Natural Heritage occasionally send out helicopters to cull deer.
\o/

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2013, 15:12 »

in Scotland, more deer need to be shot. Lots more. Scottish Natural Heritage occasionally send out helicopters to cull deer.

They've actually reintroduced wolves to Scotland in an attempt to cull the deer.  :D

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2013, 16:42 »

What you said;

They've actually reintroduced wolves to Scotland in an attempt to cull the deer.  :D

What I see in my mind;

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2013, 16:37 »

Ah Werewolf, I miss you.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...
Pages: [1] 2