Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Gallente Federation loyalist and [EL-G] CEO Seriphyn Inhonores is originally from Caldari Prime?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An Anniversary: 10 years of Eve  (Read 2401 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
An Anniversary: 10 years of Eve
« on: 23 May 2013, 02:21 »

IC Announcement: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=239340&find=unread

Alright, there's a bit of a long post below, but first thing is first: I'll be having an IC event to celebrate Silver being a podder for 10 years. It will be on the 26th of May, from 18:00 Eve time until whenever it breaks up. Channel will be 'The Frenetic Evolution'.

Some thoughts on 10 years in Eve:
Back on 5/25/2003 I completed the character creation process for my first* Eve character, Silver Night. He is still my main now, occasional questionable training decisions (Barges 5?) and all. It has been a fascinating 10 years, seeing the game and the community it spawned grow and evolve. A refugee from Earth and Beyond, I washed up on the shores of Eve while it was still in Beta. I read and reread the 'peek of the week' features - precursors to today's chronicles (and still some of the best fiction, I think, for setting the tone of the universe), poured over the scientific articles, and watched the wars of words on the forum between organizations like Endless, Saboath, PIE, and Taggart Transdimensional. In the beta, nearly everyone was a roleplayer it seemed (at least of a sort), a necessity when 70% or more of your corporation might not even have access to the beta, and so interaction outside the game was the only choice.

After consuming the official fiction, I stumbled over fan fiction, both as a concept (I am startled at the things that the me of a decade ago was ignorant of) and the reality. The stuff that stands out as perhaps the best to my mind is the exploits of a certain booster-addled, scheming, slaver hound connoisseur in 'The Endless Saga'. Between that and the official peeks at the universe, I was hooked on the idea of Eve before I ever stepped foot in an internet spaceship. 

My attempts to play the beta were not pretty - as unstable as the game was at launch, it was nothing compared to the beta. Among other issues, all of the text in the game appeared as a series of solid white rectangles. I persevered, at least enough to get a small idea of how the game worked, and a few weeks after it launched I bought the retail version (in a box, on a CD even) for myself. I had to go to 3 different retailers to find it. I got it installed, patched (and then reinstalled, repatched, until it worked) and logged in. It was glorious. I even had a machine it would run on, finally.

I mined myself from an Ibis to a Bantam, then a Merlin, and finally to an Osprey. I found a corporation, and they helped me get into a Moa - I organized a sightseeing trip to the Golgothan Fields and promptly got nuked by a Tachyon Scorpion, my first PvP loss of many - my cruise missiles were no match for it (and my totally clueless fitting didn't help). Sometime in 2004 (I think?) I joined the 'Caldari' channel. Back in the day, all the racial channels were player run. I started talking, and immediately had a can of Starsi thrown at me by a moderator (Jera, I think it was) for talking OOC. My immediate question was, naturally, 'What do you mean OOC?' That was my introduction to roleplaying, and roleplaying in MMOs, and roleplaying in Eve.

A lot has happened, since then. Some good, some bad. I think the RP community is as strong as it has ever been, even as it has faced challenges. I've met some extraordinary people, and made some incredible friends, and in both cases it wouldn't have happened without Eve. I've written pro-Sansha propaganda and a shocking (certainly to the person I was 10 years ago) amount of fan fiction. I've been part of wars and sneak attacks. I've seen plots artfully executed, and artfully foiled. I've conducted vicious, spreadsheetesque campaigns on the markets of Jita and emerged victorious. I've watched empires rise and fall. All of it in ways that no other online space can come even close to.  I think that the future might be looking up, and I find myself with (cautiously) renewed confidence in the direction that CCP is taking us. I hope the next 10 years are as interesting and unique as the first 10. I look forward to finding out.

*excluding beta characters - the poor, stunted, barely functional bastards. At least on the machine I had at the time.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2013, 11:20 by Silver Night »

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: An Anniversary: 10 years of Eve
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2013, 02:42 »

I believe this will be the first party Makkal has attended. I look forward to it!
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2013, 03:25 »

Obligatory to have NHB Ultra Happy Chip™ installed and activated at max setting i presume?  :D

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2013, 06:35 »

Omg.

Will try to be there.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2013, 08:11 »

A great sum of your experience, Silver, it was very interesting to read your long post. And I surely can relate to some of those things, even if I came in a few years later. Still, much of the feel of the game hasn't changed, and that's one of its biggest virtues.

As to the party, I won't attend as I'm not home that day but away on a trip. But I do hope you all have tons of fun, and party for at least 10 hours, one for each year of EVE.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2013, 19:22 »

Ché has a race on sunday at 18:00, but if he learns about this, he'll do his best to show up.
Edit: Oh wait, the race is at 16:00, should work then.
-OOChé

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2013, 19:35 »

I will try and show up. Can't promise Esna sticking around if certain hostiles show up, though.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2013, 21:24 »

Silver's older than Shin! :D

I'll do my best to be there. We're gonna be out of town over the weekend, but there's a moderate chance we'll be home in time.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2013, 06:00 »

Silver's older than Shin! :D

I'll do my best to be there. We're gonna be out of town over the weekend, but there's a moderate chance we'll be home in time.

Of course he is.

It's Silver you are talking about. We are not talking about young things like Jurrassic or whatever, but about Silver.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2013, 10:10 »

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2013, 11:06 »

Sadly I'm not going to be able to attend. I'll send an appropriately trained emissary in my stead.  :cube:

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2013, 19:44 »

Just to be clear, it's sort of an all-day open-door type thing. People can wander through whenever, starting at 1800. I'll probably be on pretty much all day hanging out with whoever shows up whenever they show up.  :D

I haven't spent all day in Eve enough lately!
« Last Edit: 25 May 2013, 19:52 by Silver Night »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2013, 23:40 »

I have had RL crop up suddenly, so I may not be on until 22:00 or later.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2013, 04:00 »

I wish Ko could come to the party and terrorize congratulate Silver. But, I can give you an OOC happy anniversary.  *\o/*
Will work for pretty sig.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2013, 04:01 »

I would have shown up on my Dustie, but I was getting drunk in a field. Happy Decade!

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani
Pages: [1] 2